The End - endless longing

Matero

Hall of Famer
We had this photo challenge: Backstory - which raised many stories. It is time to put an end to my backstory

10th Cameraderie Photo Challenge: The Backstory

Exactly month ago my dad passed away. Two days ago would have been his birthday. It’s difficult times right now, but the memories and all the now-valuable rare snapshots of him will stay with me forever. And the cameras he gave to me.

As I’ve been remembering him, I’ve realised how we share(d) the same interest for photography and lots of other things.

I’m in the midst of sorting old photos of mine, some 45 years old. Seeing my father, who died 18 years ago, in many of the pictures is bitter-sweet and valuable. His photography interest was home movies, and they’re great to watch (I had many of them transferred to DVDs).

Our pasts sustain us and prepares us for our futures. Nurture the memories!

Great sympathies, Matero. My Dad was responsible for my interest in photography, too, and I still have his Ikonta. I periodically go through the photos he took during WWII in the Middle East. He passed away in 1989 and it feels like yesterday at times.

Cherish those memories.

We had this photo challenge: Backstory - which raised many stories. It is time to put an end to my backstory

10th Cameraderie Photo Challenge: The Backstory

Exactly month ago my dad passed away. Two days ago would have been his birthday. It’s difficult times right now, but the memories and all the now-valuable rare snapshots of him will stay with me forever. And the cameras he gave to me.

As I’ve been remembering him, I’ve realised how we share(d) the same interest for photography and lots of other things.

Those firsts (Birthdays, Christmas, etc) can be tough, mine passed away three years ago

Luckily you have great memories :)

Almost the same story from me - my father died on 10th December, so that's a month and one day. It wasn't as sad a business as one might think as he was 91 and had been suffering with dementia, but a loss nevertheless. You only get the one dad.

I've inherited a small collection of film cameras and I guess I'm now the custodian of the family archive of colour transparencies (slides) too. No idea when I will look at those ...

-R

Almost the same story from me - my father died on 10th December, so that's a month and one day. It wasn't as sad a business as one might think as he was 91 and had been suffering with dementia, but a loss nevertheless. You only get the one dad.

I've inherited a small collection of film cameras and I guess I'm now the custodian of the family archive of colour transparencies (slides) too. No idea when I will look at those ...

-R

My dad got really sick at the end. But we didn’t realise it, tough he was. And when he eventually went to see a doctor, it was too late. He could resist the pain too well.

I inherited a lot of slides as well. I’ve shown those to my kids when they were younger and bored them to ..., well bored them. Now I really don’t know when I’m able to browse the slide archive again. But one day I will...

Wow. 9th December my old man passed, it's why I'm in UK at the moment. Confirmed he had cancer the day before, passed away the next, he didn't even smoke. What's annoying is that he was "only" 76. There's loads of whinging old boilers who are 101 years old in the village where he was born and I thought he was going to be one of them(!). I fly back to Australia on Sunday and it's after that when it'll get difficult (for me). Let's get through each day, month and year.

So Sorry and So sad, my father passed in 1994. Only 70. Prostate Cancer. Just tonight I was looking at photos I took of him with my first real 35mm camera. A Nikkormat. He gave it to me for Christmas.
Father's Day always makes wish he was around to see us now.

Back