Ricoh The everything GXR Image thread!

Sorry, I can only compare to the GDR. I had been wanting one of those for a while, but decided to go with the GXR instead.

I loved your three shots and agree with all thats been said... can't add anything except to say thanks for posting the videos. I have a GRD3, and love it, and I have been looking to the GXR as well as the PENs, perhaps as an alternative to my rather large (by comparison) K-5 and its lenses. For some reason I thought the GXR would be larger than the PEN series and I see its not. Its a lot quieter too.

Kyle, thanks so much for those videos. The EPL3 is what I'd be comparing it to so that's perfect. Is that with all of the sounds turned off on the GXR, so that's its natural shutter sound??? Or can it get even quieter? Not that it matters much - that's more than quiet enough. Jeez, I even find the EPL3 to be quiet enough for MOST situations, but there are times when it would be too intrusive. Thanks again for doing that!

-Ray

I loved your three shots and agree with all thats been said... can't add anything except to say thanks for posting the videos. I have a GRD3, and love it, and I have been looking to the GXR as well as the PENs, perhaps as an alternative to my rather large (by comparison) K-5 and its lenses. For some reason I thought the GXR would be larger than the PEN series and I see its not. Its a lot quieter too.

Thanks, Sue!

Yeah, the GXR with 28mm is pretty much the same size as my E-P3 with the Panasonic 14mm mounted. I picked up the GXR with the intention of using only the 28mm module, sort of as a GDR on steroids.

Oh, and the E-P3 has a somewhat more quiet shutter than the E-PL3... less clunky, but still noticeably louder than the GXR.

Kyle, thanks so much for those videos. The EPL3 is what I'd be comparing it to so that's perfect. Is that with all of the sounds turned off on the GXR, so that's its natural shutter sound??? Or can it get even quieter? Not that it matters much - that's more than quiet enough. Jeez, I even find the EPL3 to be quiet enough for MOST situations, but there are times when it would be too intrusive. Thanks again for doing that!

-Ray

I believe this is with all sounds off. There is a shutter sound effect option, which is a cartoonish shutter sound and I have that disabled.

Bluewood Gallery Walk, Brevard, NC

Thought I'd post a couple shots I took this past Friday as my wife and went into town to check out our favorite gallery and enjoy the other shops as our town gets ready for the Christmas season. Once a month for several months of the year, the art galleries in town sponsor a "Walk". Basically, they have some sort of entertainment or refreshments to get you to come by and say hi. Haven't done this before and thought we'd better check it out.

I've also added a new entry to my blog with additional photos and story. See my link below:

This shot was taken from inside the Red Wolf Gallery:

20111125-055

One of our local music stores:

20111125-051

Looking into the Bluewood Gallery:

20111125-079

Kyle, yes HiBW generates a jpeg. Well let's just say its a jpeg but it's really beautiful.
I have to admit the those files knock me out. They require little or no work.
I set the camera to B&W jpeg. Jorge set as follows...
From Wouter... Contrast on 9, sharpness on 5.

This way I see the screen in B&W. I hear tell Ray & Duane set fn2 button to toggle B&W/Color on the screen....
Hmmmm smart guys they are.

Check the date of your manual as they have published revisions with each firmware update.
These are available at Ricoh home base...

Oh, yeah, that's super cool.

I am still reading the manual, think I am up to page 12 at least, but do you only get a JPEG when in that scene mode?

Yes, jpeg only in the scene modes! You can also set the GXR to take a RAW with a B & W Jpeg. I think this is what Don is referring to. I do this too normally. I have mine set as Contrast 9 and sharpness 8. I only use the clarity slider in LR afterwards and it produces great b & w photos. The Scene modes are a different kettle of fish whereby they are as they are. On the plus side, with the High Black & White Scene mode, you get that lovely smooth grainy look too :D

Christine, yes the HiBW is my favorite with the S10. Due to the smaller sensor it really gives a high Ido film look.
That camera in your photo.... Nuff said....

Yes, I don't normally venture near a Scene mode but was reading about the firmware fixes and thought I'd see what they had come up with. I really like this mode and I can see that I'll be boring everyone senseless with it now :D

:eek: I've even started using the Bleach Bypass scene mode... cool, slight vignette...

These modes aren't quite right in the menu system just yet. Before you can select them you have to select the JPG format first (my camera is always set to RAW), then select the scene mode.

It should be that if I select a scene mode the camera automatically switches to JPG. I know there is a RAW/JPG Fn button to do that, but still, and anyway I have those set to other options.

Always something to complain about...

Back