Ricoh The everything GXR Image thread!

Against my better judgement I ordered a GXR body, 50mm module and viewfinder today.
The 50 has never been my focal length but what the hell I thought I will give it a spin, I have always loved the way Ricohs shoot, who knows maybe they will come out with a 85 or 90

The 50 was never my FOV either but the lens has magic instilled in it. So much so that all I use is the 50 & 28.
You will really enjoy this lens. It has a built in lens hood also that works great.
Good luck...
Don

Just feel the love!

Just to feel the love Mike. I took this photo over the weekend at our local junk shop. I really enjoy this kit and have been very happy with its performance.

Today I came "this" close to ordering the A12 28mm module and my GXR hasn't even shown up yet but in a rare moment of restraint held fire. Maybe tomorrow I won't feel restrained. I feel I'll be missing something without snap at my fingertips, and probably will be. Further rationalizing getting the 28mm, it is fairly fast for the real focal length that it is , faster probably than all of the reasonably priced M mount alternatives. And I need at least one AF module. Are there any M mount f/2.5 or thereabouts 18mm lenses that don't cost many thousands? So yeah, it'll be in my bag.

I'm really liking the black and white images being produced by Ricoh shooters, and there seems to be so much fondness for b+w among Ricoh shooters. Lucky happenstance or?

I will be looking forward to your M mount photos for sure.

Duane, I thought you meant "feel the love". From what I've seen from the GXR and Ricoh in general the colours are very nice and the files seem to work well for b+w shooters too. My camera is sitting in warehouse 40 minutes and one border crossing away, but I can't head there to pick it up until they've caught up with the backlog and have it logged it into their system. Apparently Christmastime is flat out crazy for them. Who knew? Hopefully it arrives before my NEX-5N sells as I'd hoped to do some comparison shots before letting that one go.

Patiently waiting.

Trust me Mike the GXR is far from perfect. I'm having issues sometimes with indoor white balance. I'm having to do a lot of work in Aperture to fix it. I'm not sure if it might be Aperture in our it's reading the Ricoh DNG file.

I need to take a grey card with me or set a custom white balance to test this.

OT: Colour balance. Don't shoot me!

Duane, I'm not sure any camera is perfect indoors, at least none that I've had are. And now confusing me more there are so many different flavours of indoor lighting - temperatures of fluorescent lighting, tungsten, metal-halide, LED - you name it. Even LED lighting comes in custom temperature ranges.

I do use a white balance card at times indoors but often as not just take the shot and deal with it later.

Sorry for going off topic, the thread-meister will surely have my head (or we could move this discussion to a general thread about colour balance detection by our cameras), but thinking about your observation I shot the following just now using a NEX-5N with a variety of lighting in the room which, unfortunately, was not all coming from the same direction. The camera got one spot on; a number Lightroom adjusted a relatively small amount, and a few LR made large adjustments to.

As shot (click for bigger):
NEX-5N-colorbal-as-shot.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Colour balance adjusted (click for bigger):
NEX-5N-colorbal-adjusted-sm.JPG

I should have brought some table lamps and other bad actors over / closer - in some of the shots the differences were not all that large. I that mostly my cameras do not deal with warm compact fluorescent very well which is yet another reason why I shoot raw all of the time.

The 50 on macro is great. Remember that a good macro lens is corrected for the macro range. This is true for the Ricoh also. I am in love the way it renders light. There's something very intoxicating about the way it does that thru the entire range. The contrast is med-med high which is where any high quality lens should be.
It doesn't burn the sensor. What it will most definitely do is...
it will make you hunger for its sister lens, the infamous 28mm.
Sorry but that's really true.

I am so satisfied with the 2 lenses that I am not interested in the M module even tho I have many vintage Leica lenses.

The WB thing. To be honost I shoot AWB and do AWB in LR.
I have never had an issue. Bear in mind that my color images are selected very carefully. I only do color if the image calls for it so I may not have the experience or stock to even realize WB is an issue.
The GXR for me is as close to a perfect file producer as any camera could be.

The 50 sounds great, I was going to hold off on the 28 until after I play with the 50 for awhile. Lately I have real enjoyed the single focal length option, on the X100 and the GRD, makes one think. But I am sure if everything works as expected the 28 will find it's way home.
To tell you the truth, I read your earlier comments about the m-mount module and I have to agree. I can see where many may find it very appealing, but the idea of only have a manual focus option, is not something I want in this type of camera. Still have some old film cameras if i want to play there.:rolleyes:

Agreed about AF. Mandatory!
I have been secretly using my Black Lac M4 with a 35 Pre asph Lux since early summer.
I allow myself 1 roll of Tri-X asa 640 per month, max.
It's refreshing to have no battery, no meter just a simple camera.
But.....if I'm doing digital, it's gotta have AF and it's now the GXR.
For me, that's really refreshing...

Let's start the timer when your 50 arrives...I'd love to see how long before the 28 comes home.

Very nice! Is there some magic preset that would get these colours?

Thanks Christi!

It's the Granny's Attic preset in Nik's HDR plugin. I usually dial up the structure and saturation up a bit, and adjust down the method strength quite a bit on the skies (otherwise, they look a little too abrasive).

I run too much through Granny, even some single exposures, just because I love the muted colors and grit. I am trying to replicate in Lightroom or Color Efex Pro, but no luck so far.

Walk about downtown not long before dark...

20111222-R0011523-Edit-2.JPG

20111222-R0011525-Edit-2.JPG

Back