The Fantastic Cavalcade of Cinematic Splendor (a.k.a. What are you watching?)

Finished with Warehouse 13 again.

Watched BSG Blood And Chrome, liked it better than the series.

Started People of Earth season 2 this evening. Another series I found funny that only lasted 2 seasons.

Watching, and absolutely loving, The Flight Attendant. One of the recent episodes was filmed in Reykjavik in the hotel where I stayed.

Also in season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire. Enjoying it so far.

I just got done watching the Ukrainian movie Atlantis (Атлантида), and wanted to share. This film was made in 2019/2020 and is set in 2025 in the immediate aftermath of a war in which Ukraine has improbably defeated Russia (talk about life imitating art, huh?). There's not a lot of plot per se, but it really does an incredible job of evoking the immense tragedies wrought by war, some of which last well after the shooting has stopped.

Beyond the strange parallels to the current situation, it's a very cinematically interesting film, consisting of only 28 mostly wide, long shots over its 1.5 hour plus running time.

It's definitely worth a watch. AFAIK it's available in the US only for rent via Apple TV, or via the subscription service Fandor, which is how I watched it.

- K
That sounds really interesting. Will have to figure out how to watch it here. Thanks for telling us about it!

I'm currently watching the final season of the absolutely brilliant Better Call Saul, and today I'll watch the 5th episode of the 6-episode miniseries We Own This City, in which David Simon (of The Wire fame, still easily the best TV show I've ever seen) returns to Baltimore for a look at some of the very shady things that have really happened there since the days of The Wire.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the genre. I was hoping you might share some recent examples you liked.

The most recent such movie I've watched was I Onde Dager (The Trip), which I'd put in the "airplane movie" category (i.e. it's fine to kill some time, but not great cinema).

- K
If you haven't seen it yet, maybe you could try Katla:

A bit different take on regular Nordic noir, adding a layer of strange to the usual crime baseline.

That sounds really interesting. Will have to figure out how to watch it here. Thanks for telling us about it!

I'm currently watching the final season of the absolutely brilliant Better Call Saul, and today I'll watch the 5th episode of the 6-episode miniseries We Own This City, in which David Simon (of The Wire fame, still easily the best TV show I've ever seen) returns to Baltimore for a look at some of the very shady things that have really happened there since the days of The Wire.
I'm also enjoying We Own This City. Jon Bernthal's performance (as Wayne Jenkins) is incredible. The constant hopping between timelines is a bit jarring, but overall it's a well told story, and one that deserves more attention. WOTC makes a great companion piece to The Wire which I similarly regard as the greatest show ever made.

There's a documentary on HBO called The Slow Hustle about the death (murder?) of Det. Sean Suiter. It's directed by Sonja Sohn who played Det. Kima Greggs on The Wire.

- K

My sides are sore. Just re-watched Mars Attacks! and it still has me rolling every time. So many bad clichés and stereotype jabs.

"They made the international sign of the donut."

"Don't run. We are your friends."
ZAAAAP!

"They blew up Congress ha ha ha..."

"The American people still have two out of three branches of government working for them and that ain't bad."

w,stte

Ack. AckAckAck. Ack!

Last edited:
I normally don't get too into supernatural stuff, but after watching the trailer, I'll put this on my shortlist and give it a shot.

- K
I watched that recently, and really enjoyed it. You can play the game of "what was he/she in?", since the pool of Icelandic actors is quite small. Nevertheless, another cracking Icelandic series.

We've just rattled through season 4 of Stranger Things (the 7 episodes released so far anyway). Despite one or two episodes that dragged a bit in the middle, it was the best season so far, all the better for being much darker, and for the episodes being longer. We now have to wait until July for the last 2 instalments though...

Last box of entertainment stuff for a while should be arriving tomorrow, and one series on pre-order to be delivered late July. So between doc appointments and Single In July, I'll have a few new things to keep me entertained for a month+.

Series - Airwolf, High Sierra Search and Rescue, and Seaquest DSV (later in the month).

Movies - Streets of Fire, Shoot to Kill, The Philadelphia Experiment, Slipstream, Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, Footloose, Dredd, and Tron.

Discs are a mixed bag these days, between production quality and costs. Some of the Blue Ray were the same cost as regular DVD, some of the DVDs were $6. Been trying to pick up movies and shows at value pricing when I can find them.

Well. I remember a kerfuffle regarding Airwolf back in the day. Never really followed it or knew what caused it, I moved overseas for a three-year tour about the time Season 4 was starting. Since AFRTS didn't seem to run any current shows, I missed the last seasons of Airwolf, and didn't see 4 or 5 after returning to the States.

Just moved into Season 4 yesterday. Didn't even make it through episode 2. What a stinker. After watching Seasons 1 - 3, completely not interested in watching the "new" episodes. I might have an idea why I never saw any reruns of Seasons 4 & 5 over the years.

Back