The Fuji and Ricoh Brothers

Landshark

PhotoDog
Name
Bob
My latest crop of fun cameras
View attachment 45703
Overall I still like my Fuji X100 best, the GRD IV has taken over from GRD III as my go anywhere/ always with me camera, the Fuji X10 looks like it will become the most versatile of the bunch, but it is somewhat awkward to find the right small case for it, The GXR is the newest so it is still under evaluation. Overall a very fun group of image makers.
View attachment 45704

Oooohhh what a beautiful collection, even the PP of these pictures are done nicely. One thing that would make this set a lot more interesting for me would be a 24mmGXR.

Do you ever go out with a few of them around the neck at the same time or do you pick one for the day.

I agree a 24 or even better a 21 GXR module would be ideal.
I never try and work with two cameras at a time and usually prefer just one on my wrist than any around my neck

Bob, you've acquired quite a good gang to hang out with.:grouphug:

P.S. I'm sure they all have their plusses...and I'd like to know how you find yourself using each one a little bit differently. Also want to add that it's helpful seeing them from above to get more of a feel for their sizes.

LOL, great 'family' portrait there! It is also a nice way to gauge their relative sizes.
FINALLY I can see just how the X10 would fit into my collection...

Just to be fair, this image was taken with all of their lens extended and with the added length of a lens hood on all but the GRD, the X10 with the shade becomes sort of a cube when you want to put is in a case, still small but just a different shape than the others

Bob, you're setting a great example - I'm 3/4 of the way there and will no doubt buy a GXR-28 at some point soon. But if I keep the GXR, I'll probably sell the GRD3. If the GXR does what I think it will do how I think it will do it, I think the GXR 28, X100, and X10 will make a perfect light bag for most shooting, with my m43 gear held in reserve for some fairly specialized applications. Super long, super wide, some street shooting with the flip up screen on the EPL3, and portraits with the 45 f1.8. But a few lenses might have to be liquidated if this sticks.

I'm also glad to see someone else like me who can love multiple cameras at once. It seems some folks can only love Fuji and others can only love Ricoh and too often it turns into disparaging the other make. But as much as I love the GRD3 and anticipate I'll like the GXR, I SURE don't love the X100 any less for it, and the X10 is in a totally different category and wonderful in its own right. I don't think a Ricoh will ever surpass what the X100 does well and I don't think the X100 will ever surpass what the Ricoh's do well, so plenty of room for both in my bag, at least. I'm glad to see I have company!

So, Viva la Difference! Enjoy!

-Ray

Nice family portrait!! I didn't know that the body of the GXR was smaller than the X100. Is the 28mm module for the GXR smaller than the 50mm? A 35/1.4 module would be nice! A 21 would be nice too!

I love them ALL Ray!! I don't discriminate!

I'm also glad to see someone else like me who can love multiple cameras at once. It seems some folks can only love Fuji and others can only love Ricoh and too often it turns into disparaging the other make. But as much as I love the GRD3 and anticipate I'll like the GXR, I SURE don't love the X100 any less for it, and the X10 is in a totally different category and wonderful in its own right. I don't think a Ricoh will ever surpass what the X100 does well and I don't think the X100 will ever surpass what the Ricoh's do well, so plenty of room for both in my bag, at least. I'm glad to see I have company!

So, Viva la Difference! Enjoy!

-Ray

it's actually very useful seeing these side by side.
i have been very tempted by the x10 for a main zooming compact system and this allows me to see how much bigger these guys are compared to the GRDIV

thanks Landshark!

Bob, or Armanius, or anyone else with both the GRD3 or 4 and the GXR 28, I have a question. There's been a bit of a depth of field discussion over on DPR's Ricoh forum and I was wondering if Ricoh's depth of field "bar" that runs along the left side of the LCD in either manual or snap focus, reflect the difference in DOF between the larger sensor GXR and the smaller sensor GRD models. It certainly should - the GRD will achieve hyperfocus at a much larger aperture than the GXR will. Can anyone check to make sure that's reflected in the camera's own "calculator". Because, frankly, the discussion got me looking at the DOFMaster calculations for both cameras and the DOF bar on the GRD3 SEEMS to be wildly conservative. In fact, it looks like what the GXR DOF bar SHOULD look like! So, now I'm wondering what the GXR DOF bar reads like??? I'm talking INSANELY conservative. I recall that the similar DOF bar on the LX5 was a little bit conservative and so is the one on the X100, but the GRD3 appears to be off by orders of magnitude!

If someone with both cameras could check, I'd greatly appreciate it. I may have been using the GRD3 waaaaaaay too carefully all this time. Jeez, at f1.9 with a snap distance of 2.5 meters, I should have TONS of DOF and by f2.5 I should be well past hyperfocal! And the DOF scale on the camera doesn't reflect anything LIKE this! Jeez, now I'm getting pissed at Ricoh, god of all things wonderful in cameras! And if that's the case, I have almost NO reason to upgrade to the GXR for the kind of shooting I like to do with this camera.

Thanks,

-Ray

Wish I could help you specifically with this question Ray, but I do not have the 28 for the GXR yet, and honestly, I cannot remember the last time I manually focused a GRD.
Philosophically on the other hand I rarely ever check DOF read outs or use a DOF preview anymore, once I have used a particular camera or les for a little while, I pretty much know what DOF I will get out of whatever aperture I select.
So do not get too mad a at Ricoh, if their scale is fudging a bit

Also Ray since I do not have the 28m, I do not know how much smaller than the 50 it is, but for me even If I did get it it could never replace what the GRD does for me. I just like having a camera with me all the time and even though I take a number of photos with my cellphone I always have the GRD in my briefcase for when the mood stikes

Great lineup Landshark! Thanks for sharing.

Nice family portrait!! I didn't know that the body of the GXR was smaller than the X100. Is the 28mm module for the GXR smaller than the 50mm? A 35/1.4 module would be nice! A 21 would be nice too!

The GXR 28 module is little more than half the height of the 50mm version:

20111210-E-P3-PC104515-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With the 28mm mounted, the GXR is about the same size as my E-P3 with 14mm pancake mounted.

No problem. I wouldn't mind if it was fudging a BIT either, but it appears to be fudging in the wrong direction and by a MILE. But my bad for not doing the calculations myself when I first got the camera, much as I did with the LX5 and X100. But this does make me think just going with the GRD4 with what sounds like about a one stop improvement in sensor quality and improved AF might be a better move than going for a GXR with its roughly two stop improvement in the sensor, but significantly less DOF. Although I guess I've gotten used to that DOF anyway, since it appears that's what I was reading on the little electronic readout on the back of the GRD3...

As for size, I don't realistically carry any camera with me all the time except my iphone. If I carried a briefcase or a man-purse or whatever on a regular basis, I probably would, but the GXR or X100 or X10 would be small enough for me if I did that. So I'm less concerned with portability. All of these small cameras are plenty portable for me, but none are pants pocket cameras for me, even the ones that could be.

-Ray

Back