Fuji The Fuji X-Pro2 is my first Fuji camera... HELP!!

G

georgette

Previous to this I was using a Nikon D7200 with a variety of lenses. The Fuji X-Pro2 is my first Fuji camera. I have been reading the manual and playing with a variety of settings for the past 5 days that I have owned the camera (using a 18-135mm lens). Rico's book seems to be the only book available and it is not due out until July, 2016. Where do I look to get up to speed?

HELP... can anyone recommend a link/video etc. that starts with the basics of what this camera can do? Everywhere I look folks are commenting on how wonderful the X-Pro2 is (and it is), but the discussions are beyond me because of references to menus, buttons, settings, etc. that I cannot readily find or know when to use them. :(

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Georgette

There is a Fuji X Secrets Starter workshop in Forchheim on March 19. It's one full day, and we will put an emphasis on camera configuration and how to use important functions practically. To participate, you should have read the manual, though, and you should know where to find functions in the menu.

It's in German, and you would have to happen to be in the greater vicinity of Forchheim to make it work. More info here: New Fuji X Secrets Starter Workshop in Germany – Fuji Rumors

I am not aware of any tutorials for X-Pro2 camera basics. But maybe someone else knows one and wants to chime in?

Georgette, first and foremost, welcome! I think your challenge is that the X-Pro2 is so new there is little by way of comprehensive guides, just plenty of reviews (including mine) that assume a degree of familiarity with the brand. one recommendation would be to look out the Fujiguys Youtube channel, and in particular

There is a Fuji X Secrets Starter workshop in Forchheim on March 19. It's one full day, and we will put an emphasis on camera configuration and how to use important functions practically. To participate, you should have read the manual, though, and you should know where to find functions in the menu.

It's in German, and you would have to happen to be in the greater vicinity of Forchheim to make it work. More info here: New Fuji X Secrets Starter Workshop in Germany – Fuji Rumors

I am not aware of any tutorials for X-Pro2 camera basics. But maybe someone else knows one and wants to chime in?

Many thanks for the suggestion but, at this point, reading the manual has has not helped much in finding the functions I want to find. Add that the workshop is given in German, and I would be lost for sure!!! o_O Anything on the east coast of the US (I am outside of Washington DC) would be good.

Georgette, first and foremost, welcome! I think your challenge is that the X-Pro2 is so new there is little by way of comprehensive guides, just plenty of reviews (including mine) that assume a degree of familiarity with the brand. one recommendation would be to look out the Fujiguys Youtube channel, and in particular

Many thanks, Bill! I did take some notes about features and menus that will be helpful as I learn about the camera. But much of the video seemed to be telling the viewer how great the feature is, a cursory explanation of how to use it, and very little information on how/when to use it. I am looking for the guidance you would get in a 3rd-party book/article:
  1. this is the feature,
  2. here is how to get to it,
  3. here are the optional feature settings, and
  4. this is why you would choose one option over another.
Sometimes there are options of menus that are grayed out and I don't know why. For example when I press "Drive" my choices are
  • single image
  • continuous
  • AE BKT
  • these are grayed out: ISO, ??, WB, DR and I don't know why
  • multiple exposure
  • advanced filter.
I realize that I got my Fuji X-Pro2 the day it was released, but I know there are knowledgeable photographers that helped in the development of the camera and field tested it before release. It is there guidance I seek. :D

Thanks for the link to the Fuji Guys (would like to invite them for lunch!!). I look forward to more "basic" videos that will cover points #1-4 above.
Georgette

Georgette, a couple of thoughts. Firstly many of the features of the X-Pro2 are common to the X100T and XT1; it may help to read up on, for example the viewfinder of the X100T or the drive modes of the XT1. There are features that are exclusive to the XPro2 because it is the first of a new generation of X-series cameras, such as the joystick on the back, but 90% of the features and settings are a carry-over, only faster, bigger or better.

The options on your menu are greyed out, BTW because you have most likely set the camera to shoot raw or raw+jpg.

"
  1. this is the feature,
  2. here is how to get to it,
  3. here are the optional feature settings, and
  4. this is why you would choose one option over another. "
That's the problem with camera manuals in general. I want a manual (or supplement) that says
  1. Here is something you might want to do
  2. This is the feature / combination of features you need
  3. ..... and then continue down Georgette's list
Or alternatively
  1. This is the feature
  2. This is why you might want to use it
  3. ...... and then continue down the list
Rico's books are the closest I've seen - probably the closest for ANY camera, not just Fuji

Manufacturers please note!

A new camera is always a challenge especially if the manufacturer is new to you, those of us with other Fujis have a head start. One thing I would advise is to initially leave the camera on the defaults and to go out and take pictures as this will get you familiar with the handling. You can then systematically customise the settings as you go along.

This on-line manual may be of help until the how-to books are published.

Introduction

A new camera is always a challenge especially if the manufacturer is new to you, those of us with other Fujis have a head start. One thing I would advise is to initially leave the camera on the defaults and to go out and take pictures as this will get you familiar with the handling. You can then systematically customise the settings as you go along.

This on-line manual may be of help until the how-to books are published.

Introduction
Many thanks Greyelm... I shall check it out!

I just received an email from the Fuji Love website advertising a free ebook with 10 tips for setting up your new Fuji camera. Admittedly I haven't looked at it but it may be worthwhile so I figured I'd pass it along:

10 Settings

Back