Fuji Showcase The Fuji X100 portrait thread

6280732777_5ed352950f_b.jpg

Nice set - I am still yet to try the X100 for portraits, I did see a short video of a photog shooting portraits using a single source light - he produced some amazing images at f4 @ 1/60th.

Brilliant images.

I decided to shoot RAW with the X100 to see if I could do better than the camera's JPG. I think I can. But barely. Had to test on something though. Ended up using myself! Did a BW version and color version. Unsure which one I like better. Probably the BW.

LR3.6, some PP (reduced clarity, added some NR, little bit of sharpening and then unsharp mask), cropped, reduced to 1024, ISO 2000.

View attachment 46229

View attachment 46230

I agree with the two posts above, the B&W version works best for me.

In either case we see once more the capability and quality of image that the X100 can produce and lets face it , its not the camera that counts - it's the camera you have with you at the time and the photographers skill with that camera that counts!

Armanius

How *much* better did they look in RAW after your processing? Did you take these in JPG too? If so, how was the colour version?

Maybe life is too short to worry about such differences but I am curious ...

Lee

I think I kept the OOC JPG. I'll post it later when I get a chance. It'll be difficult to tell if it's "better" or not reduced to forum size though (1024). The likely noticeable differences were the color and exposure, if I remember correctly.

Armanius

How *much* better did they look in RAW after your processing? Did you take these in JPG too? If so, how was the colour version?

Maybe life is too short to worry about such differences but I am curious ...

Lee

Portrait images at both 3200 & 200 ISO with built in flash.

Seeing the other images on this post inspired to do a quick test when visiting my wife in her little shop today.

The first image is shot at 3200ISO @ f4 using flash - considering the ISO it is a pretty good image and more than passable for general use with a bit of work to correct skin tones etc.

She_3200_f4_plus_flash_2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The second image was taken at 200ISO @ f4 using flash and is a 50% crop from the original image (she was holding a white book that detracted too much from the image) - I prefer the tones on this and the quality at 300% is amazing, I also find that the flash is quite subtle - when using in camera flash remember to take hood off or you get a shadow!

She_200_f4_flash_50_crop.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These were both "quick shots" rather than anything set up so I would expect that set up images at low ISO with good lighting would be superb.

I would agree with that Lee, it produces nice images - I have also got the EF-20 unit so must get round to trying that as well and if it performs as the in built flash I will be very happy.

Back