Fuji Showcase The Fuji X70 thread: Post em here

A few more...walking on a road in southern Oregon from my scooter mechanic's remote rural workshop to the local town for coffee -
First an address sign for a house whose inhabitants obviously love old hot rods -

Automobile address sign.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then some of the rusting machinery which often seems to grace the front yards of some rural residences -

Rusted rural machinery.jpg

A road sign warning me to beware of cattle -

Cattle Xing.jpg

And finally, once I got to town, a rather strange mannequin in the shop-window of a local thrift store -

Psychedelic shop window Head.jpg

I know better photographic brains than I have done detailed pixel-peeping comparisons of the x70 with both the GR and the Coolpix A and most of them have concluded that the Fuji can't hold a candle to either of the other established heavyweights in the fixed-lens/compact/APS-C sweepstakes - but to my untutored eye, it's producing quality results so far.

And some quirky ones too which, with a certain type of processing, remind me of some of those contrasty small-sensor monochrome images that Daido Moriyama produced generations ago with his compact Ricoh in and around Tokyo. I don't mean to compare my images to his - but simply to point out that this camera, like the GR and the Coolpix - and like the earlier generations of compact Ricoh's not to mention the cool earlier Lumix LX models - is capable of giving me images which don't suffer from that over-processed digital look that Mike Johnston eloquently rants about on occasion. Here's my only higher contrast monochrome attempt to date -

Doppelgänger.jpg

So far, this camera looks like it may be earning its spot as a 'regular' ;)

A few more...walking on a road in southern Oregon from my scooter mechanic's remote rural workshop to the local town for coffee -
First an address sign for a house whose inhabitants obviously love old hot rods -

View attachment 127353

Then some of the rusting machinery which often seems to grace the front yards of some rural residences -

View attachment 127354

A road sign warning me to beware of cattle -

View attachment 127355

And finally, once I got to town, a rather strange mannequin in the shop-window of a local thrift store -

View attachment 127356

I know better photographic brains than I have done detailed pixel-peeping comparisons of the x70 with both the GR and the Coolpix A and most of them have concluded that the Fuji can't hold a candle to either of the other established heavyweights in the fixed-lens/compact/APS-C sweepstakes - but to my untutored eye, it's producing quality results so far.

And some quirky ones too which, with a certain type of processing, remind me of some of those contrasty small-sensor monochrome images that Daido Moriyama produced generations ago with his compact Ricoh in and around Tokyo. I don't mean to compare my images to his - but simply to point out that this camera, like the GR and the Coolpix - and like the earlier generations of compact Ricoh's not to mention the cool earlier Lumix LX models - is capable of giving me images which don't suffer from that over-processed digital look that Mike Johnston eloquently rants about on occasion. Here's my only higher contrast monochrome attempt to date -

View attachment 127357

So far, this camera looks like it may be earning its spot as a 'regular' ;)

I dunno who any of those people you mentioned are but you're certainly making a good case for the X70 so far! :2thumbs:

That shot of the cattle crossing is impressive if it's a SOOC JPEG...

I dunno who any of those people you mentioned are but you're certainly making a good case for the X70 so far! :2thumbs:

That shot of the cattle crossing is impressive if it's a SOOC JPEG...

Believe it or not, the Cattle XING one is close to a SOOC aka straight-out-of-camera JPEG - in this case it was a JPEG using one of the camera's better (in my opinion, so far) internal film simulation presets - called "Chrome" - which gives tonal qualities similar to certain classic slide films, and has been a mainstay, apparently, of a lot of other Fuji shooters on more advanced x-cameras, including the XT1 & 2 and the XPro 1 and 2. It's an immensely satisfying internal camera jpeg preset - and only received minor tweaking in LR5. Some of the other shots I posted here were processed starting from RAW files (converted from .raf to .dng by the Mac version of Irident's X-Transformer, and subsequently processed in Lightroom) - but the camera is definitely more than capable of producing SOOC keepers....which is rather amazing (to me) in and of itself.

Believe it or not, the Cattle XING one is close to a SOOC aka straight-out-of-camera JPEG - in this case it was a JPEG using one of the camera's better (in my opinion, so far) internal film simulation presets - called "Chrome" - which gives tonal qualities similar to certain classic slide films, and has been a mainstay, apparently, of a lot of other Fuji shooters on more advanced x-cameras, including the XT1 & 2 and the XPro 1 and 2. It's an immensely satisfying internal camera jpeg preset - and only received minor tweaking in LR5. Some of the other shots I posted here were processed starting from RAW files (converted from .raf to .dng by the Mac version of Irident's X-Transformer, and subsequently processed in Lightroom) - but the camera is definitely more than capable of producing SOOC keepers....
That sounds great.
Miguel, this is not helping.
I am trying to tell my self no!

I had not really given this camera much thought as I am quite happy with the coolpix a.
But these images are making me interested. Darn it, that last thing I need, another camera...sound familiar anyone?
Sounds very familiar! I just bought the first MFT camera, a Lumix G1, with the Lumix 14-45 lens, for under $200 total. Absolutely didn't need another camera, but was curious about that particular camera. I've given the X70 some consideration as a compact walk-around, but the lack of a viewfinder kills it for me. Although a smaller sensor, my X30 fits that role for me.

The x70 does monochrome well, too. Of course, just about any modern camera can do a passable and often an excellent monochrome conversion, and one hears so much about x camera or y camera being a poor man's Leica Monochrom, or an update of the rangefinder/SLR+Tri-X combinations of analog yesteryear, so saying that a particular camera lends itself to a black and white or monochrome conversion...doesn't really mean as much. If anything. These days.

But....still...it does ---

Chevy.jpg

I think the x70 was discontinued because Sony has stopped making the 16 mp sensors. I wonder if the lens would be up to the resolution of the 24 mp sensor.

PS: Miquel, you convinced me to keep mine, at least for now. I have an upcoming trip to DC is three weeks, and 28 is a great FL for walking around and the museums.

Last edited:
I think the x70 was discontinued because Sony has stopped making the 16 mp sensors. I wonder if the lens would be up to the resolution of the 24 mp sensor.

PS: Miquel, you convinced me to keep mine, at least for now. I have an upcoming trip to DC is three weeks, and 28 is a great FL for walking around and the museums.

Regardless of how long you do or don't keep yours for, it is definitely a great little "walking around" camera, and, depending of course on the size of one's pockets, right there in the semi-pocketable category. I must admit, I am starting to become a fan of the user interface. I've long resided in the micro 4/3 camp of preferring Panasonic/Lumix menus to Olympus ones, for being less complicated and somehow more logical to the still-functioning parts of my reptilian photographer's brain, but the x70's mix of utilitarian/retro physical dials and a decent (not overly complicated) Menus system...all conspire to make the x70 an easy camera to learn how to use, and use well.

Of course, to be totally honest, if one wants simplicity, one should really junk all the digital cameras and go back to something like my ancient but still functional, and oh-so-tiny Rollei 35 - with manual controls and a built-in light-sensitive meter, it redefines 'simplicity'.

Three more from the x70 -
A candid low-light shot of a visiting friend wearing her Wolverine hoodie -

Masked_Girl.jpg

A stuffed toy dog in a local emporium -

Stuffed_Dog.jpg

Last but not least, a classic car parked on the street - this one processed with a VSCO preset that mimics the tonalities of a Fuji instant (Polaroid style) film -

The car that time forgot.jpg

I love what you're doing with it, Miguel. I didnt realise it had been discontinued, I sorta hoped for an Aus price drop at some point, instead, X70 has disappeared off the shelves. Oh well. I snoozed.

Thank you, Sue.
I actually bought mine used, several months ago, for a reasonable price. I think actually there has been a downward trend in the pricing of X70's - they were a tad overpriced initially, in spite of the pivoting screen (a big plus for the selfie generation I suppose) - but I think if you want one, you can find them for much more reasonable prices, lightly used, today, than you might have, say, six months or so ago.

Had my used X70 for a couple of days now. Although they have been grey and wet I've managed to get out and get a few shots on it. Camera feels great and i'm loving the tilt screen. Fully articulated wouldn't bother me as I rarely shoot portrait upy downy type way. Do I like it ? Yes. to the extent of cancelling my preorder for the new GR, and I will probably part with my GR mk2. Everything important looks good to me. Lens sharpness, high iso.
Ok of coarse it's obviously not the best but it is good enough for me. Buttons a tad fiddly but i'm sure i'll get used to them. Focus ? Imo, loads better than the Ricoh. Especially in low light when the Ricoh fails miserably .

44769259985_ac4d2b7469_b.jpg
DSCF8600
by Garry, on Flickr

43899271460_3709062ee1_b.jpg
DSCF8685
by Garry, on Flickr

but I think if you want one, you can find them for much more reasonable prices, lightly used, today, than you might have, say, six months or so ago

Well, I kept looking at the local second hand market, and I think Aussies must not be selling, there just have been none. Buying from the US, Japan etc is now not worth it, we used to be able to buy stuff under $1000(AUD) and not have to pay GST (which is like your state tax or VAT in the UK) but now that we do, it puts the prices over anything sensible, once exchange rates, shipping and GST are factored in.

Anyone using an XF10?

Well, I kept looking at the local second hand market, and I think Aussies must not be selling, there just have been none. Buying from the US, Japan etc is now not worth it, we used to be able to buy stuff under $1000(AUD) and not have to pay GST (which is like your state tax or VAT in the UK) but now that we do, it puts the prices over anything sensible, once exchange rates, shipping and GST are factored in.

Anyone using an XF10?
There seem to be no second hand examples for sale in the UK either. Not for less than £500 anyway, which is just stupid money.

There seem to be no second hand examples for sale in the UK either. Not for less than £500 anyway, which is just stupid money.

The one I just bought on Ebay was open to offers and described as very good condition. My offer of £370 was excepted. When it arrived I thought it was hard to tell from new. I definitely got a bargain I think. Silver one, and now with the addition of a matching JJC hood looks very nice indeed. I looked at Ebay tonight and there are a couple of sub £500 X70’s. a black one looking good. It’s not open to offers but based on mine I’d be happy to part with £450.
I’m liking it more each time I pick it up. A lot to do with the tilty screen I think.

Back