Fuji The Fujifilm X series image thread.

The crons are really good. I'd take the 23 f2 over the original 23 1.4 every time.
I've tried to do it Bobby several times, but I can't seem to make it stick. I like both but the old beater just has my number.

Cool photo, John.
And ane of the all-time great Dilemmas for hard-core Fujiholics.
Both Cron and non-Cron versions tend to be so great that the question becomes even more difficult to answer.
In my case, I used to think my (former) XF 35mm f/1.4 was THE best modern digital nifty-fifty in the universe. But now, after almost a year of using its faster-focusing and WR-rated Cron f/2 sibling, for me it's now become a dead-heat photo-finish: both XF35's are, in a word, superb.
Thanks Miguel. A dilemma indeed. The Cron shows better saturation with both lenses at F2 but surprisingly a lot of distortion(?). And I have a lot of history with this old beater too.

I haven’t used the 1.4 XF, but I’d put the 35 f2 right there next to the M43 PL25 1.4. Very satisfying output. I don’t have that 35 f2 anymore, and was trying to decide if I’d like to go a touch wider, or if I should stick to the 50 ffeq. Anyone have opinions on the 23 and 27?
It's funny, I've always thought of the PL 25 1.4 and Fuji 35 1.4R as similar. Both with a wonderful sharpness to OOF transition.

I've tried to do it Bobby several times, but I can't seem to make it stick. I like both but the old beater just has my number.

Thanks Miguel. A dilemma indeed. The Cron shows better saturation with both lenses at F2 but surprisingly a lot of distortion(?). And I have a lot of history with this old beater too.

It's funny, I've always thought of the PL 25 1.4 and Fuji 35 1.4R as similar. Both with a wonderful sharpness to OOF transition.
IIRC, I think when you look at DOF at any given distance wide open, you get very similar results from each.

Two other intriguing perspectives about to Cron or not to Cron come from Charlene Winfred, the truly brilliant globetrotting Fujifilm photographer who has used - and chronicled her feelings about - both the older XF 35mm f/1.4 lens - and the smaller XF 35mm f/2 Fujicron.

Though she recently replaced her XF35mm f/1.4 with the newer XF 33mm, she used the older lens nonstop for many years and in many cases it was her weapon of choice--

But she also used the smaller Cron XF35mm and more or less fell in love with it--

It's interesting reading the comments in the latter article; at one point, she categorizes her own choice of which XF35 to use - saying that for manual focusing (of which she has done quite a bit) she prefers the faster f/1.4 lens - but for AF-only shooting, the f/2 Cron works much better.

Just got the 16mm f/2.8.
20230117-_DSF5042.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My apologies everyone. This should have been posted in a gear thread.
@MiguelATF Thank you for the links. I've followed her before and enjoy both her writing and imagery.
I don't know why you'd need to apologize! I guess in my mind, a showcase thread like this often inspires discussion about the gear that showcases it. Besides, you did take that picture with a X camera. :D

Two other intriguing perspectives about to Cron or not to Cron come from Charlene Winfred, the truly brilliant globetrotting Fujifilm photographer who has used - and chronicled her feelings about - both the older XF 35mm f/1.4 lens - and the smaller XF 35mm f/2 Fujicron.

Though she recently replaced her XF35mm f/1.4 with the newer XF 33mm, she used the older lens nonstop for many years and in many cases it was her weapon of choice--

But she also used the smaller Cron XF35mm and more or less fell in love with it--

It's interesting reading the comments in the latter article; at one point, she categorizes her own choice of which XF35 to use - saying that for manual focusing (of which she has done quite a bit) she prefers the faster f/1.4 lens - but for AF-only shooting, the f/2 Cron works much better.
I love her work and articles.

I have both the 35mm f1.4 and the newer 35mm f2. I initialy thought I would sell one after I decided which one was the "keeper".

However, I am now keeping both. I find that they both have pros and cons, and felt I did not want to lose out on either one.

Same as, I found the 50mm f2 a little short on FL compared the more traditional 56mm. But, I ended up keeping that too anyway, as it has great contrast, sharpness, rendion, blah blah blah.

The long and short of it is....... "the GAS is strong in me"! :ROFLMAO:
:jedi:

Beautifully vivid yellow, contrasts well against a slightly muted sky.

Are you using a "recipe" , camera setting or raw?

Note to self: maybe I should try to find a cheap 18-55......

Beautifully vivid yellow, contrasts well against a slightly muted sky.

Are you using a "recipe" , camera setting or raw?

Note to self: maybe I should try to find a cheap 18-55......
Thank you saladin. All my photos are JPEG. I don't do RAW. My recipe for that photo was:
film sim. Astia
Highlights -1
Shadows -1
White balance auto
simple as that!

Back