Fuji The great X100V discussion thread (formerly "specs leaked")

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
The spec list is out. Looks like it is getting a tilting screen. But no weather sealing.

I can wait until they are dirt cheap used. The X100F is serving me very well. Plus, I'm hanging on to the X100F and X-T2 for the infrared capabilities.
Fuji's quality control sucked on the introduction of the X100F. Initial failure rate was 30% as reported on this forum and from the local camera store.

Update on specs comparison:

I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was going to have weather sealing.

If it had a f/1.4 lens and weather sealing, I'd have jumped on this. But seeing as it does not, the 100F is still an excellent (and soon to be cheaper) option.

I'll wait for the early adopters to pay a little extra, but I might bite on this eventually. The big problem for me was always the lack of tilt screen which I use regularly. The X70 was nice is this regard but 28 is just too wide for me as an everyday lens. The new EVF would be a nice extra and I'm curious about the lens re-design. Of course, price will matter. My XE3 and 27 will suffice until then.

Last edited:
I'll wait for the early adopters to pay a little extra, but I might bite on this eventually. The big problem for me was always the lack of tilt screen which I use regularly. The X70 was nice is this regard but 28 is just too wide for me as an everyday lens. The new EVF would be a nice extra and I'm curious lens re-design. Of course, price will matter. My XE3 and 27 will suffice until then.

I feel exactly the same way. I'll wait for the professional reviews and allow some time for any bugs to be worked out and for the price to come down a bit.

The lack of WR is disappointing. But the redesigned lens could offer up some pleasant surprises. I'm neutral on the tilt screen. It could be nice but it's not completely necessary for me, either.

If I'm not thrilled I can always fall back on the X100F that I almost bought just after Christmas. Or just use the X-E3 with the 27/2.8 or 23/2.0 on it.

The lens on the X100F has been a stellar performer, what are you hoping to see in a new lens? If it was a choice between a new sensor vs a new lens on the new X100, I'd choose the new sensor. However, if the lens was going from f/2 to f/1.4, that would be something I'd jump on.
There are a number of reasons why I didn't buy an X100F, and the lens' performance was one of them. I didn't find it tack sharp and contrast isn't too high, I just didn't like what I saw in the pictures. I examined my own test shots made on a fair and a bunch of online raw samples. I also looked at Ricoh GR III samples and to my eyes they look much better, sharp and punchy.

The lens may be optically good enough. The current design, however cute and teensy, leaves something to desire in focus performances, both automatic and manual.

I personally would NOT mind an extra half an inch to the length of the lens if it means gaining a focus clutch and preferably a distance scale.

Autofocus-wise the limiting factor in X100 cameras currently is the lens' autofocus motor. All very clever, the focus motor only focusing one direction and mechanical springs handling the other direction. But the fastest focuser it ain't. A lightning quick and dead silent focus motor like in the current Fujicrons would enhance the UX a great deal IMO.

The lens on the X100F has been a stellar performer, what are you hoping to see in a new lens?

As others have already pointed out, focus speed and softness at closer focusing distances have been an issue with the X100 series from the start. Autofocus accuracy and reliability has increased dramatically since the original X100 was introduced nearly a decade ago. But focus speed has not.

I don't own an x100 camera but I have had GAS for it for a while. I'm a subscriber to some x100 groups on facebook and often see some spectacular photography there. I would go so far as to say the photography I'm seeing in the x100 groups are far more skilled, talented, and spectacular than the photography I'm seeing in the leica groups (by a long mile). And hey, I'm saying that as a leica photographer.

I don't own an x100 camera but I have had GAS for it for a while. I'm a subscriber to some x100 groups on facebook and often see some spectacular photography there. I would go so far as to say the photography I'm seeing in the x100 groups are far more skilled, talented, and spectacular than the photography I'm seeing in the leica groups (by a long mile). And hey, I'm saying that as a leica photographer.
I agree, but more specifically, M10 groups (apart from the M10 users here of course!). Outside of this forum, I just find it so hard to see an image rendered by that camera that's distinctive.

Back