Fuji The great X100V discussion thread (formerly "specs leaked")

How does the finish of the black x100v compare to the black xpro2? I know they are different metals, but I seem to recall reading that the X100v is glossy vs the matte X-pro.

To me they are the same.
IMG_1508.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_1507.jpg

I received my upscreen hybrid glass protector last week, still no sign of the expert shield that I ordered nearly two weeks prior.
As a footnote to my previous post, I received not one but two Expert Shield protector packs today, in separate packaging.

A note in the second package explained there was a potential manufacturing defect in their first batch, which may cause the edges not to adhere properly. So they were sending me a replacement pack just in case.

Great, and proactive customer service.

This new comparison between the lenses of V and F was welcome.

To my surprise, this just makes me consider the X100F, going to be a nice deal on the used markets within a couple of years. Something in the X100V body design rubs me in a funny way.

As a footnote to my previous post, I received not one but two Expert Shield protector packs today, in separate packaging.

A note in the second package explained there was a potential manufacturing defect in their first batch, which may cause the edges not to adhere properly. So they were sending me a replacement pack just in case.

Great, and proactive customer service.
Expert shield sent me a second set as well. I have the exact same issues as with the first batch. But it wasn’t as bad as the first but I only got one or two small specs of dust under the plastic. I’m still not very happy with the way that they work or the whole installation process that they want you to do. After I told them the issues that I had with the second batch, they offered free shipping on the glass one if I wanted it. Honestly they did as much as I could have hoped for, but I don’t think that their product is as good as it should be, at least not from my perspective. If other people like them that’s fine I’m not going to get down on them. All I know is that in the future I’m going to get a glass screen protector from the other sources that I normally get them from on Amazon. They are half the price and twice is good in my opinion.

This new comparison between the lenses of V and F was welcome.

To my surprise, this just makes me consider the X100F, going to be a nice deal on the used markets within a couple of years. Something in the X100V body design rubs me in a funny way.
It's an interesting article, and bluntly makes me feel more comfortable that I re-invested in the X100F (and made a small profit in doing so, which was nice). The tests are a little odd, however. The "issue" they are highlighting is the near focus, and yet the test compares the two wide open, at F2 and again at f5.6 - f8. At F2 there is a clear difference, but at the smaller apertures honours are even - and that is my point. Even when using a dedicated macro lens, I never use it wide open for close up work...

After reviewing the test images on Imaging Resource, I am happy to keep my X100F. When I look at the RAW file images, the X100F seems to best the X100V in sharpness and in white balance when comparing those at F8, ISO 200, NR1. Looking at the RAW test images is the key. As Bill Palmer points out, other reviewers want to emphasize differences close up at F2 while ignoring other parameters.

Fujifilm X100F Review - Samples

Fujifilm X100V Review - Samples

I read that. I’m not sure about ever, but it has proved very capable. I’m not a fan of too many controls, so I like the joystick and the empty space. I also use the tilt screen for low and high shots. I’ll accept the lens analysis having no real point of comparison. I have found it to be pleasingly sharp with fairly smooth out of focus areas. It’s a fine camera. Of course, I’m still glad I have that XH1.

Six weeks of waiting, but my TP leather half-case finally arrived, curiously via German post. Nice matching hand strap provided as a free gift.

This will be my fourth TP case (having put one on each of my X-E 1, 2, & 3 cameras), nicely made without the price tag of other brands.

IMG_3262.jpeg

IMG_3263.jpeg

That x100V looks superb, @redsim74 !

I'm still using the original x100 (which is still just wonderful, IMO), and have never yet felt inclined to upgrade, upon the release of a later version. However, I have to say that the x100V is the first of the subsequent releases to send a faint 'siren call' to my ears! ;) :eek:

That x100V looks superb, @redsim74 !

I'm still using the original x100 (which is still just wonderful, IMO), and have never yet felt inclined to upgrade, upon the release of a later version. However, I have to say that the x100V is the first of the subsequent releases to send a faint 'siren call' to my ears! ;) :eek:
Didn't the first one have Bayer sensor? I had an X10 and it did. I picked up a used X20 and I haven't used it enough to really look at the difference.

Didn't the first one have Bayer sensor? I had an X10 and it did. I picked up a used X20 and I haven't used it enough to really look at the difference.
Yes, that's right. I actually tend to prefer the output from the Bayer sensor, However, I readily acknowledge that the X-trans has far better performance, by most 'normal' measures - it's just that aesthetics are hard to measure by normal measures.

I admit that what appeals to me about the x100V is the very look of it. Fuji have done something to the camera body which I like, very much. (superficial of me, I know! :rolleyes-74: :D)

I too think where the X100V really shines is the design of the camera. The controls are simplified a little, the body is clean and not plastered with unnecessary logos... And aluminum, which has to feel good in the hand. Yep, I like it. I don't like it $1300 much, though.

Yes, that's right. I actually tend to prefer the output from the Bayer sensor, However, I readily acknowledge that the X-trans has far better performance, by most 'normal' measures - it's just that aesthetics are hard to measure by normal measures.

I admit that what appeals to me about the x100V is the very look of it. Fuji have done something to the camera body which I like, very much. (superficial of me, I know! :rolleyes-74: :D)
Lots of folks prefer the output of the original X100. I also like the comments in your post. "It's just that aesthetics are hard to measure by normal measures" and "Fuji have done something to the camera body which I like, very much. (superficial of me, I know!)". The same part of your brain is being activated. :D

Back