Fuji The great X100V discussion thread (formerly "specs leaked")

I'll say it again.. I wish there was a 45mm-50mm compact around, I'd carry and shoot with it all the time. The GR is that camera for 28mm, but the X100 at 35mm is just too much of an in-between. That said, if I didn't have a GR I'd make do with an X100 and probably be happy, but... the GR bug bit me too hard.

I browsed through the DPR sample gallery. The lens seems to retain the old magic, but with excellent performance wide open... Now I have some GAS?! :confused-95:

I was skeptical about the early reports about this camera going to be a slamdunk but now I'm willing to believe it.

The other great add that I haven’t seen mentioned a lot is the ability to set a focus limiter like the X-Pro3.

As it relates to street photography, one of the weaknesses of this series vs the competition like the GR was the lack of quick “snap style”focus. You’d have to got to MF and the use the fiddly MF ring to set your focus distance, hoping it didn’t get knocked or moved during your shooting/carry. Also, I don’t believe it kept your distance after power off, but I could be misremembering. Either way, a very nice addition for zone or hyperfocal shooting.

You’d have to got to MF and the use the fiddly MF ring to set your focus distance, hoping it didn’t get knocked or moved during your shooting/carry.
I don't remember how it was with X100T but if you can plain disable the focus ring from doing anything then it can be a very good setup to stay in MF mode and set your prefocus distance using AFL button.

The other great add that I haven’t seen mentioned a lot is the ability to set a focus limiter like the X-Pro3.

As it relates to street photography, one of the weaknesses of this series vs the competition like the GR was the lack of quick “snap style”focus. You’d have to got to MF and the use the fiddly MF ring to set your focus distance, hoping it didn’t get knocked or moved during your shooting/carry. Also, I don’t believe it kept your distance after power off, but I could be misremembering. Either way, a very nice addition for zone or hyperfocal shooting.
I'm a little confused as to how a focus limiter resembles snap focus. I haven't used a camera that has it, so I'm genuinely curious. In my mind, it's nowhere near the same, since the camera has to focus and obtain focus lock before releasing, just that it will only rack through a limited focus range. Right?

Snap focus is a genius and a very particular thing.

If you want "zone focus" or "prefocus" with some focusing still happening to get better results, focus limiter is a good tool.

If you want snap focus, focus limiter is not 100% it.

I'm a little confused as to how a focus limiter resembles snap focus. I haven't used a camera that has it, so I'm genuinely curious. In my mind, it's nowhere near the same, since the camera has to focus and obtain focus lock before releasing, just that it will only rack through a limited focus range. Right?
Snap focus is a genius and a very particular thing.

If you want "zone focus" or "prefocus" with some focusing still happening to get better results, focus limiter is a good tool.

If you want snap focus, focus limiter is not 100% it.

I haven’t used the X-Pro3, but I believe I saw somewhere that you could set the focus limiter points to be the same (ie near at 6ft, far at 6ft), which would essentially do the same as Snap focus. I could be wrong though.

As nice as the X100V is, I've decided to stick with the X100F.

Reasons are:
1. I don't care about the lens upgrade.
2. I like the D-Pad and I don't like touchscreens.
3. The X100F will shoot infrared and the X100V won't.
4. If I really need a flippy screen, I have the X-T2.
5. The OLED EVF on the X100V will be more pleasing to look at but the LCD EVF on the X100F still does the job.
6. If I bought the X100V, I would have to purchase a new grip from J.B. Camera Designs.

Good reasons. I suspect if I had an F I wouldn’t be interested in the V, but my only X100 was the S and it’s long gone. I’m curious about #3. How does the F shoot infrared and what prevents the V from doing it?

Back