Fuji The great X100V discussion thread (formerly "specs leaked")

I've always dreamed about Leica-Panasonic alliance making a Leica M43 body :cool:

Standard M4/3 mount but firmware, menus and featureset pure Leica. There's already a good selection of Panasonic Leica lenses so they could market it with those lenses.

They could probably take GX8 as the basis, round its corners and shrink the grip and people would be ecstatic.

Does anyone object to me changing the title of this thread to something more pertinent? The conversation has moved on from leaked specs to a more general discussion of the merits of the X100V and I am certain will grow legs again when the first ones are in people's hands.
That's a really good idea.
Do you know you can easily manipulate the tissues of frogs and crabs so that they grow legs out of their eye sockets? Limb Regeneration in the Eye Sockets of Crabs on JSTOR

Last edited:
I've always dreamed about Leica-Panasonic alliance making a Leica M43 body :cool:

Standard M4/3 mount but firmware, menus and featureset pure Leica. There's already a good selection of Panasonic Leica lenses so they could market it with those lenses.

They could probably take GX8 as the basis, round its corners and shrink the grip and people would be ecstatic.
I've pretty much given up on finding the perfect camera. At first I was pretty enthusiastic about the X100V, and I may still get one in a couple of years after used models start reaching the market. But I just don't think I have it in me to have a single focal length camera as my main or only camera. A body the size of the X100V, with all of its features except change the lens to an X-mount. Call it the X-E4. But bring back the D-pad. I find it quite useful.

I've pretty much given up on finding the perfect camera. At first I was pretty enthusiastic about the X100V, and I may still get one in a couple of years after used models start reaching the market. But I just don't think I have it in me to have a single focal length camera as my main or only camera. A body the size of the X100V, with all of its features except change the lens to an X-mount. Call it the X-E4. But bring back the D-pad. I find it quite useful.
What I have found interesting is that since I got the XH1 the grip has never come off. If I am out to do photography, I like the bigger body and grip. My XE3 always had the 27 on it because it was my small camera. The X100V is that with a faster lens, a flip screen and WR. It's these new features that really make me want to switch. I suspect that I will have a kit that consists of the XH1 (or the A7m3) and the X100V to use as a "cell phone" alternative. Since my wife and I go to Disneyworld on a regular basis, I often think of my gear in terms what kit I want while in Orlando. At night (and during the Florida downpours) the X100V would be perfect, but there are places like the Animal Kingdom where I want a good tele-zoom. My experience is that if you're taking the long lens, put it on the bigger body. Of course, the counter argument is the XE3 with the 16-80 as an all-in-one kit.

Last edited:
I currently own no system lenses, XF or any other mount, unless you count the film Pen F 38, which was the only item I kept from my recent gear purge. I have owned several different tele-zoom lenses through the years, and I never seemed to keep them very long. I think the 110mm equivalent on the X30 will have to do for those times I want to bring something closer to me. If there is one constant in my gear through the years, it's that I don't like bulky.

Fuji could do well with the "V". They included three major upgrades (WR, tilt screen, and lens) that comprised the majority of the complaints about this camera. I posted earlier (and elsewhere) that I really wanted an X70 with an EVF and a 35 mm lens. Now I can have it with WR as well. I really have to resist. We are going on a Grand Canyon trip the summer of 2021. We are travelling the entire length of the canyon on motorized rafts. I wanted to take the Sony A7RIII but I really need a wide zoom like the 16-35, which conveniently costs about the same as the X100V. I guess I could take the XH1 with the 14. Or a new X100V with the wide and tele converters . . .🤔
It is interesting. It has three of the feature that made me pick the X70 over the X100 series in the first place. I prefer a titling touch screen over a fixed screen. And I often used the X70 wide open and closeup, two areas the X70 lens out preformed the X100 series. Personally I'm more than fine with exchanging the d-pad for the joy stick, I set the d-pad to AF control anyway. I know many don't like touch screens, but Fuji's implementation of the on screen on/off button works pretty well and the button location tends not to get get in the way.

If I had gone in the other direction and sold off my m4/3 to stay with Fuji this would definitely be on my list.

This is my issue now. I’d love to have this and I’d also love to have the newly announced Nikon Z-mount 24-200 as a travel / walk about lens.

if the 24-200 is optically as good as the other z lenses, then I think that will take precedence over the X100V.

I hate/love it when a bunch of stuff comes out that I want. Lol.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, back on topic... 😉

I've yet to see a negative review for the X100V but what I do note - and I know it is a curse of modern life - is the vituperation in the comments. The X100 line seems to attract more than it's fair share of people who have never had one, but who seem to hate the concept of a fixed-lens premium compact. The most common charge seems to be that an X100 series is obscenely expensive compared to an X-E series with a 27mm lens.

Surely this line of argument misses some of the key points of an X100 of any generation? I don't want to drag the arguments over here, but I'd be interested in the views of others about what I am seeing.

That's just it. The X100 series is one of premium compacts. It is priced at a premium compact price segment.

Don't like it? Feel free to move back to the USSR :cool:

I've handled X100T, XT1, XT3... only the X100T has a true premium feel to it, there's love in the design whereas the ILC bodies more feel like your usual gadgets.

I've yet to see a negative review for the X100V but what I do note - and I know it is a curse of modern life - is the vituperation in the comments. The X100 line seems to attract more than it's fair share of people who have never had one, but who seem to hate the concept of a fixed-lens premium compact. The most common charge seems to be that an X100 series is obscenely expensive compared to an X-E series with a 27mm lens.

Surely this line of argument misses some of the key points of an X100 of any generation? I don't want to drag the arguments over here, but I'd be interested in the views of others about what I am seeing.
Vituperation - Had to look that up, thanks, learning every day :). Apparently I'm very selective in visiting websites because I'm totally unaware of vicious comments on the X100V or their predecessors. My personal take on it is that Fuji makes very interesting and competent lines of cameras, X and GFX series ILC cameras, X100 and smaller compacts like an X70; I'm not really interested in any of those for different reasons, although an X100V successor with IBIS could be tempting. I feel prices for the X100 series are reasonable, given that it's a unique concept in today's market. FYI, my kit only consists of Sony FF gear.

I'm actually seeing a few snarky comments along the lines of its popularity being due to social media campaigns or the usage being limited in a curious way to some toy-like second camera status. The attention brought by the new kid on the block doesn't always go down well with some. But I think the attention is warranted and it provides good value for the price. They all do, even the first version. This opinion coming from someone who's never owned or thought about owning an X100.

The reviews I've read have been mostly positive, and in a few cases, glowing. However, the maxim "Don't read the bottom of the Internet" comes into play. We all know even the most mundane DPR discussions can turn into name calling in a hurry. The comment sections of FStoppers articles are nearly as bad. And you're right; too many people are quick to disparage cameras without even trying them.

I've owned the X100 and X100S. They were nice cameras and provided nice output. My problem is I have too many interests and want to try a lot of different things, so those cameras were moved on in favor of something else. I'm certain the V is a very nice camera, and it is not unlikely that I'll own one sometime in the future . . . just not at the current price point.

I've also seen tons of these, dump your X100 for an X-E. All I can say after owning both the X70 and X-E3 at the time is it was easier for me to sell the X-E3 than to give up the X70.

Too many fanboys and too many "stop liking what I don't like" knuckleheads, and they're not shy about attempting to shout down things and opinions they don't like. Carries over into about every area of life.

Fixed-lens cameras are still a viable piece of gear. For some of us it will be a second (or third/ fourth/ etc...) camera. For others, it may be their one and only.

For us non-pro types - find what works for you, what makes you happy, and go shoot photos. It's all good.

IMHO and YMMV

:coffee-79:

Back