Fuji The great X100V discussion thread (formerly "specs leaked")

Sticking with my longstanding policy of departing with two cameras for every new camera I bring in, here's is what I am considering - assuming the new cameras turn out to be what I am hoping for and I decide that I really can stand to give up some of the cameras that I currently own:

X-H1 and X-T3 for the X-T4. The X-Pro2 and X-E3 for the X-100V.

I'm not at all sure about this yet. I'm still not sure the 16-55mm f/2.8 will feel right on anything smaller than the X-H1. And the X-Pro2 vs. the X-100V? We'll see.

Your longstanding policy - or strategy - sounds very reasonable to me. But, also, perhaps, a little too 'rational'. My own suggestion (and bear in mind that apart from my X-70, I haven't owned any other Fujifilm cameras, though I've certainly thought about and been tempted by quite a few, especially with their most recent models) would be as follows:

Keep the X-H1 (which such diverse and thoughtful photographers as both Mike Johnston of TOP - The Online Photographer - and Kirk Tuck - have both raved about) - then trade in the X-T2 and the X-Pro2 for....an X-Pro3!....AND ALSO treat yourself to an X100V!

That way you would have three briliant Fujis, each with an equal but slightly different 'focus'. That's what I would do if I were in your place ;)

P.S. Of course, if and when the X-T4 arrives, you might have more decisions to make.

I have the 17mm and 12-32mm when I want small on Pen F, debating about a 14mm, 15mm, or 20mm.

I'm assuming you mean the 17mm f/1.8, David? One of the all-time great mu4/3 lenses - but it is surprisingly close to the PL15 (which is my favorite micro 4/3 lens of all time bts) - so, realistically, if you have one, you might not really need the other.

The 14mm and 20mm lenses are also both very very fine (and small) pieces of glass - I've owned and shot quite a bit with both - but arguably both are relatively close to your 17mm. The one lens I would add to your future-maybe-list would be: the f/1.4 Pana-Leica 12mm - a fine and seriously wide-angled prime which although seriously larger and pricier than the excellent Olympus f/2 prime - may be nonetheless one of the truly great mu43 lenses.

Sorry for this deviation from the thread's main focus. And coming back to the X100v just for a moment, I'm curious if any early adopters would care to comment on its newer/updated version of the Fuji combination OVF/EVF? In the photos I've seen, it looked extraordinarily large, bright and 'cool' - but photos in reviews don't always tell the whole story, so I'm curious about anyone's first-hand observations.

I'm assuming you mean the 17mm f/1.8, David? One of the all-time great mu4/3 lenses - but it is surprisingly close to the PL15 (which is my favorite micro 4/3 lens of all time bts) - so, realistically, if you have one, you might not really need the other.

The 14mm and 20mm lenses are also both very very fine (and small) pieces of glass - I've owned and shot quite a bit with both - but arguably both are relatively close to your 17mm. The one lens I would add to your future-maybe-list would be: the f/1.4 Pana-Leica 12mm - a fine and seriously wide-angled prime which although seriously larger and pricier than the excellent Olympus f/2 prime - may be nonetheless one of the truly great mu43 lenses.

Sorry for this deviation from the thread's main focus. And coming back to the X100v just for a moment, I'm curious if any early adopters would care to comment on its newer/updated version of the Fuji combination OVF/EVF? In the photos I've seen, it looked extraordinarily large, bright and 'cool' - but photos in reviews don't always tell the whole story, so I'm curious about anyone's first-hand observations.
Yes the 17mm f/1.8. It I got the PL15mm it would a swap for the 17mm. The 14/20 would be for both size and 28mm eq of the X70 and 40mm eq of the Fuji 27mm.

So, for those thinking about getting / planning on getting, do you have or plan on getting one of the conversion lenses?

When I had my first X70 I also had the wide converter. It worked REALLY well. The only real problem was that with the X70 and older converter you had to "remember" to change the setting in the camera. Does it actually do anything other than update the metadata? No idea, but it helps you keep of when you're been using the converter or not. With the new ones that detect the converter I would definitely get the wide. The tele converter? The X70's digital converter was better than I expected from 28mm to 35mm, but only about what I expected from 28mm to 50mm. But it was JPeg only as is the X100F.

Does it defeat the purpose? (There than pushing the price up to around $2,200 US if you get both.)

For example, I think this one was with the converter. Was it or did I just forget to change the setting?

Attachments

• DSCF5576.jpg
    DSCF5576.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 255
So, for those thinking about getting / planning on getting, do you have or plan on getting one of the conversion lenses?

When I had my first X70 I also had the wide converter. It worked REALLY well. The only real problem was that with the X70 and older converter you had to "remember" to change the setting in the camera. Does it actually do anything other than update the metadata? No idea, but it helps you keep of when you're been using the converter or not. With the new ones that detect the converter I would definitely get the wide. The tele converter? The X70's digital converter was better than I expected from 28mm to 35mm, but only about what I expected from 28mm to 50mm. But it was JPeg only as is the X100F.

Does it defeat the purpose? (There than pushing the price up to around $2,200 US if you get both.)

For example, I think this one was with the converter. Was it or did I just forget to change the setting?

I just know me and I value optical over in camera processes every time if I can have it.

I’d probably get both as you can get roughly 100mm with the TCL plus in camera TC.

When I use a camera like this, I like to use it for what it is and I expect to miss certain shots. If I need to get the shot, it’s the XH1 and a set of lenses. The beauty of a fixed lens camera is that it lends itself to a more relaxed style of shooting, like taking an ILC out with only one prime lens. I’m not sure I’d want it as my only camera, but that’s OK because I won’t have to find out anytime soon. :rolleyes:

When I use a camera like this, I like to use it for what it is and I expect to miss certain shots. If I need to get the shot, it’s the XH1 and a set of lenses. The beauty of a fixed lens camera is that it lends itself to a more relaxed style of shooting, like taking an ILC out with only one prime lens. I’m not sure I’d want it as my only camera, but that’s OK because I won’t have to find out anytime soon. :rolleyes:
Without question and even when I had the wide converter I mainly left it at home.

But when we went to Seattle and Portland having the wide converter and the acceptable 28mm to 35mm tele converter meant it was enough for the trip.

Without question and even when I had the wide converter I mainly left it at home.

But when we went to Seattle and Portland having the wide converter and the acceptable 28mm to 35mm tele converter meant it was enough for the trip.
I wasn't complaining about the converter lenses. I've heard and seen nothing but good results. I was thinking more about tele-zooms for zoos, etc. Although I prefer 40-50mm, I've become quite comfy with 35, especially since 24 MP gives a bit more crop space.

As a matter of interest, since there is debate about the converter lenses I feel I ought to chip in. When I had my X100T and (first) F, I had both. They certainly had their uses, forming a compact and handy moderate wide to moderate tele set but this time around I shall probably stick to the camera alone. Why? Because like it or not it will be playing second fiddle to the estimable X-Pro3 and hence is more in the role of "compact" second camera rather than joint lead - think Peter Lorre to Sidney Greenstreet rather than Myrna Loy and William Powell.

On another note, those who are considering snagging both converters may be interested in my method of carriage; I created a back to back coupling ring with a couple of old filters and a male to male converter; the result looked like this:
All I'm taking to Naples.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
X100T with TCL and WCL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

...and was really very convenient in use, giving one larger "lens group" to keep track of rather than two smaller (and very differently sized and shaped) lenses to keep track of. The whole kit shown fits easily in a small bag such as a Domke FX5b.

It is a special thing. It was handmade for me over a decade ago by a Canadian craftsman, a saddler and leatherworker. It is supple, yet grips like an alligator with rigor mortis when wrapped around your wrist a couple of times. It is non-adjustable, having been made-to-measure. I treat it as my "flag", so therefore it is currently on my "flagship", the X-Pro3.

I’ve got my eye on a second hand WCL-X100 II, but still in two minds. 28mm eqv isn’t my favourite focal length (I have an 18/2 that sits unused) and I have an iPhone that covers it - in reasonable light at least.

Back