Fuji The great X100V discussion thread (formerly "specs leaked")

That's so true. I am very favourably impressed by the little XF10; it makes a great companion to the X100 series. Plus I can slip it into a smallish pocket to go out to dinner, having carried it and its larger sibling around all day.

The other person who was (and has been) equally impressed with it is Ming Thein. Who, as we all know, is both a thoughtful and articulate - but also honest and critical - reviewer. He bought one last fall and in his relatively short review talked extensively about the camera's many virtues and minimal (for him at least) vices - concluding that it has now earned a place in his bag. I remember reading the review and thinking something along the lines of: damn, this (and not the X70 which I owned briefly) is the small semi-pocketable Fuji that an intelligent person really should own. Reading your words, today...makes me want to try out this small marvel.

The other person who was (and has been) equally impressed with it is Ming Thein. Who, as we all know, is both a thoughtful and articulate - but also honest and critical - reviewer. He bought one last fall and in his relatively short review talked extensively about the camera's many virtues and minimal (for him at least) vices - concluding that it has now earned a place in his bag. I remember reading the review and thinking something along the lines of: damn, this (and not the X70 which I owned briefly) is the small semi-pocketable Fuji that an intelligent person really should own. Reading your words, today...makes me want to try out this small marvel.
The XF10 has the megapixel, size, and price advantage. But it never really appealed to me.

It's a bit of a sleeper, I confess. The X70 never appealed (tilty screen) but the XF10 is made all the better by it's simplicity. Plus it has snap focus and its own digital zoom. Mine followed a couple of decades of Ricoh GRs and I thought it would be blown into the weeds by them, but it isn't. It has earned its place in my bag too.
And simplicity is why the X70 appealed so much to me. The direct and dedicated controls did everything I needed except ISO, metering, and film simulations. And for those it had enough Fn buttons that I rarely even needed the Q-Menu.

I guess that's why there's more than one camera :p.

I think I'm glad the X100v isn't available yet. Friday I'm going to Capturing Light w/ special guest Joe Edelman at one of the few brick and mortar stores we still have in the area.

If the XF10 had happened along before the GR III, I might own one now. But, even with the much cheaper price tag, I am glad I went with the GR instead. The handling and the IBIS are all-important. But if I had to, I could make do with an XF10.

Your unbridled enthusiasm makes me want to order one. :rofl:
I've been questioning myself and my priorities lately as an antidote to GAS. Using the Yi M1 for a bit of time instead of a better M4/3 body has shown me what my most basic needs are (functional AF on a camera of this type), and what features I really enjoy having (IBIS) but could live without. The GR III is quite honestly more gravy than I need. But that doesn't mean that it isn't far more pleasant to have its well-thought-out feature and control set. If things were different and I had invested $900+ into an ILC instead of a compact, I think I'd also be fairly happy with the XF10. I agree with reviewers like Mattias Burling that the GR III and XF10 both reflect reasonable price tags for what they offer. I splurged on the GR, I fully admit that :D

That's so true. I am very favourably impressed by the little XF10; it makes a great companion to the X100 series. Plus I can slip it into a smallish pocket to go out to dinner, having carried it and its larger sibling around all day.

I'm still a bit conflicted about picking up an XF10. I want to like the camera. But I'd prefer a true replacement for the X70. Still, I suppose at the price I could deal with sluggish performance and wonky autofocus in less than good light.

I somehow didn't see the XF10 come out. I thought that was the old small-sensor compact's model number, but you guys all kept comparing it to a GRiii, which raised my eyebrows almost into my hairline. Finally googled it.

I somehow didn't see the XF10 come out. I thought that was the old small-sensor compact's model number, but you guys all kept comparing it to a GRiii, which raised my eyebrows almost into my hairline. Finally googled it.
Definitely a GR APS-C competitor, personally I look at it as more a GR / Nikon A competitor than a X70 replacement / competitor because of the controls.

I might have been interested if it had a tilt screen, but then @Lightmancer wouldn't have been. My lose of a camera is Bill's lose of ££. :D

Well, after much thought... I'm going to hold off on any decision until after I get through an upcoming gear re-alignment. I'm not really seeing anything that puts the X100V in a category of "really really want now". I'll take a look again late in the year.

That said, it looks like the lens and EVF are good updates, and the WR and tilty LCD are nice additions.

Those of you getting one, I'll be watching what you post. Enjoy! :D

Back