Feedback The "gun" thread and gun related posts

John King

Member of SOFA
Name
John ...
I don't have this any longer. But the Judge was a fun gun to shoot, with the addition of a Pachmayr grip. I may re acquire one.

View attachment 280356
Bobby, could you please move all the firearms posts from here:

and immediately prior pages into this thread?

This is a photography forum, not a firearm forum, after all.

In some (most?) countries, firearms are only carried by criminals or law enforcement officers. The USA is the exception, not the rule ...

In some (most?) countries, firearms are only carried by criminals or law enforcement officers. The USA is the exception, not the rule ...

this is the kind of comment that we don’t need. That kind of judgement has no place here. Be happy to discuss it with you in PM if you feel the need to continue the discussion.

this is the kind of comment that we don’t need. That kind of judgement has no place here. Be happy to discuss it with you in PM if you feel the need to continue the discussion.

The gun discussions are so politically charged these days, it is no wonder everyone's on the edge. Just keep those safeties on when conversing, heh heh.

I'd recommend people use the 'Ignore Thread' feature if you're not interested in the topic. I am.
You quite obviously don't (want to) understand the problem John (and others ... me including) see.
I have nothing against your enthusiasm for weapons and shooting as a recreational sport, not at all.
But: Like John I do not want to see anything of the kind in this friendly photo forum.
"Igore Thread" doesn't solve the basic problem:
This thread is on the wrong website.

We have an entire section of this forum dedicated to everything not photography. And we have a photo related section, other genres, which this thread is in. Since this thread is as much for photos as it is discussion, I’m not deleting it or moving. If this is a subject you don’t care for, don’t read it or participate in it. If you want to start a conversation publicly about your disdain for firearms, head over to the watering hole. And keep it civil. If you want to discuss privately then pm the person you want to have a discussion with.

This thread, as I see it, is not violating the forum rules. It is for photos of firearms, with discussion of said firearms happening just like any other piece of gear gets discussed on here. And I will say again, if anyone has issues with firearms, don’t open this thread. If anyone is incapable of that, then that is a symptom of possibly a lack of self control on the part of that person. We’re not letting any person’s opinions on a subject dictate which subjects can or can not be in a thread. Forum rules are what dictate that.

We have an entire section of this forum dedicated to everything not photography. And we have a photo related section, other genres, which this thread is in. Since this thread is as much for photos as it is discussion, I’m not deleting it or moving. If this is a subject you don’t care for, don’t read it or participate in it. If you want to start a conversation publicly about your disdain for firearms, head over to the watering hole. And keep it civil. If you want to discuss privately then pm the person you want to have a discussion with.

This thread, as I see it, is not violating the forum rules. It is for photos of firearms, with discussion of said firearms happening just like any other piece of gear gets discussed on here. And I will say again, if anyone has issues with firearms, don’t open this thread. If anyone is incapable of that, then that is a symptom of possibly a lack of self control on the part of that person. We’re not letting any person’s opinions on a subject dictate which subjects can or can not be in a thread. Forum rules are what dictate that.
I agree. We have lots of threads about subjects that offend some people. Good photography of guns is still good photography.
I also don't think we need to start dissecting the forum into each subject we may shoot. That would become unsustainable.
Leave the photos where they are, but don't feel judged. Consider it a request that you disagree with.

Our forum rules state that posts "likely to offend" fall outside the terms of use. I felt a bit worried as soon as I saw gun posts (more the presence of the photos of guns than just the discussion of them) as I know that in the past weapons have been a touchy subject. I don't think discussions and photos of firearms should be "likely to offend" but in today's polarized political climate (even in the US where guns are legal for private citizens to own, even more so in countries where they're not) they could be. So it's a topic that runs the risk of becoming inflammatory at a moment's notice. I don't want to create any negative vibes here, so I probably won't post much (even though target/sport shooting is a hobby of mine). Hopefully all goes well (I just have my doubts).

Here's to being optimistic! :drinks:

I'm afraid that the mere presence of photos of guns is such an inflammatory topic that it risks causing divisions among our hitherto extremely friendly and supportive membership. Whether you support private ownership of guns or not, it's indisputable that the issue provokes strong reactions on both sides of the debate, and arguments that are nothing to do with photography. For that reason alone I personally don't think that guns are a suitable subject. I shall be ignoring the thread, but as Walter said, that's rather missing the point.

I would hope that there remains a level of empathy to other people in all this.

Not all negative feelings about this subject are ‘political’. Some people have had very tragic experiences…

I understand that for some of us it’s a hobby, that if responsibly done is as good as any other hobby. That is a a valid viewpoint.
But not everyone will have the same positive associations and experiences with weapons.

I’m not asking for the forum to change any of it’s decided policies.
I’m just trying to explain my point of view.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that the mere presence of photos of guns is such an inflammatory topic that it risks causing divisions among our hitherto extremely friendly and supportive membership. Whether you support private ownership of guns or not, it's indisputable that the issue provokes strong reactions on both sides of the debate, and arguments that are nothing to do with photography. For that reason alone I personally don't think that guns are a suitable subject. I shall be ignoring the thread, but as Walter said, that's rather missing the point.

I would hope that there remains a level of empathy to other people in all this.

Not all negative feelings about this subject are ‘political’. Some people have had very tragic experiences…

I understand that for some of us it’s a hobby, that if responsibly done is as good as any other hobby. That is a a valid viewpoint.
But not everyone will have the same positive associations and experiences with weapons.

I’m not asking for the forum to change any of it’s decided policies.
I’m just trying to explain my point of view.
To remain fair and truly neutral, we can’t let one group’s opinions and values have more importance than another group’s. Following the forum rules was what I went with. As the thread is, it did not violate the forum rules. I re read the rules three times while going through the thread.
There have are and have been topics and subjects on here which I don’t like or agree with. I simply don’t read them or interact. Other than the occasional browse through doing my job as a moderator.

Someone can tell me where is the "Ignore thread" feature? Is there a way to not seeing this thread in "What's new"?
Active members of the 'supporters' group should be seeing an "Ignore Thread" option in the upper-right menu at the top of the page when viewing a thread. Those that don't have the option can choose to self-control ignore the thread(s) and skip by them.

To remain fair and truly neutral, we can’t let one group’s opinions and values have more importance than another group’s. Following the forum rules was what I went with. As the thread is, it did not violate the forum rules. I re read the rules three times while going through the thread.
There have are and have been topics and subjects on here which I don’t like or agree with. I simply don’t read them or interact. Other than the occasional browse through doing my job as a moderator.
I'm not disputing any of this.
All I hope to see is some level of empathy - instead of a blunt "people are going to be offended by anything". (this is phrased to make my point clearer - not intended as a direct quote)

Again, I'm not trying to dictate my views on anybody. I just felt that initial opposing thoughts were brushed off rather brusquely. The later discussion fortunately didn't go down that road and ended up pretty civil (considering the subject)...

So in the end there's not much point to my post, other than formulating my thoughts...

Back