Infrared Gear The higher-end Kolari conversion filters -- worth it?

If things go according to plan, I'll be sending my 720nm X-E2 off to Kolari this week to get made into a 590nm camera. And as I go through the options, I see that there are three levels of filter offered: an "industry standard uncoated filter" IR conversion, an IR conversion that is said to have less flare and other optical trouble, an "anti-reflective coated filter" that's $100 more, and a "pro anti-reflective anti-smudge filter," that's $150 more. Now, I can see the advantage of an anti-reflective filter; indeed, I wonder why anyone would offer anything else. And in that my 720nm filter has been not just a dirt magnet but a dirt magnet that seems coated with glue, I can see the advantage of one that's easily cleaned. But before spending an extra $150 on this stuff I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any of the higher-end filters installed and if so, what their experience has been. Bonus points if you've used both the standard and anti-reflective filters and can speak as to whether there's any noticeable difference.

Thanks!

I can't answer your question directly- I've always had full-spectrum conversions done and used external filters. The first one cost an extra $4,000 to have made as full-spectrum over the camera's base cost of $8400. So "$150" seems cheap.

Do you have the standard 590nm filter now, or the coated version?

Are they charging the standard $275 for the conversion? Or just for the filter? The $50 extra over the cost of the coated filter if you are paying the standard conversion fee is worth it just to make it easier to clean. The price of the XE-2 body is under $300 now. If you are paying close to that to have the new filter installed- personally, I would try to sell the existing camera, buy a newer body, have it converted.

The price of an XE-2 with "standard filter" is a bit over $500.
Fujifilm Fuji X-E2 720 Standard Infrared IR converted camera 74101023442 | eBay

I can't answer your question directly- I've always had full-spectrum conversions done and used external filters. The first one cost an extra $4,000 to have made as full-spectrum over the camera's base cost of $8400. So "$150" seems cheap.

If it cost me more that $12,000 to shoot infrared, I would not shoot infrared!
Do you have the standard 590nm filter now, or the coated version?

I don't have any 590 now, except an external filter for my X100, which won't take a white balance so screw it.
Are they charging the standard $275 for the conversion? Or just for the filter? The $50 extra over the cost of the coated filter if you are paying the standard conversion fee is worth it just to make it easier to clean. The price of the XE-2 body is under $300 now. If you are paying close to that to have the new filter installed- personally, I would try to sell the existing camera, buy a newer body, have it converted.

My goal isn't to see how much money I can spend. The recent acquisition of a 14mm Fuji used up much of my budget. My X-E2 was purchased new, specifically for infrared, and was converted to the current dust magnet 720nm, which needs to be changed in any case. And I have seen no changes in the more recent Fujis to justify an upgrade. Yes, the $150 is above and beyond the $275 conversion (which I already had done to 720nm, but that makes no difference when converting it to 590nm, of course.
The price of an XE-2 with "standard filter" is a bit over $500.
Fujifilm Fuji X-E2 720 Standard Infrared IR converted camera 74101023442 | eBay

But I already have one of those. And I know the history and condition of mine.

What I was hoping to learn is whether the difference between the standard filter and the filter with $150 in bells and whistles is sufficient to justify the additional cost.

Can't answer your question but like Brian I currently have a full spectrum converted GF1 and have a mix of brands of filters over the range 590, 630, 720 and 850 which gives a lot of choice instead of locking in a single wavelength. With external filters there is also little to no dust problem compared to an on-sensor fixed filter.

Thanks. I'm trying to find someone who has had the higher-end conversion done, who might say, "Best extra $150 I ever spent" or "I can't actually see much difference" or something in-between.

UPDATE: It is moot. The Kolari conversion would have been $425 and just now I found a black X-E2, converted to 590nm by Life Pixel, for $425. You can guess which I chose. So now I'll have two IR bodies. That makes me cool.<g>

Though it would still be good to know whether the $150 in extras offered by Kolari is worth the price.

Last edited:
Back