Fuji The itch for Fujifilm, to switch or not.

I come from Nikon - everything Nikon since the 80's.
Now I possess 5 Fuji cameras, of which the X-S10 is the newest in technology and the only one with IBIS.
They're all great. They really are fun to work with, very intuitive and highly (too much so!) customisable

If you're looking to rekindle the fun element of photography, grab a Fuji
Currently, Fujifilm has X-H1 with IBIS, first-gen with 5 stops efficiency (not a very good reputation), and X-T4 is the second camera with IBIS (6 stops with a bit better reputation), X-S10 is the 3rd camera but 5.5 stops as it's a cheaper IBIS model then X-T4, X-H2 and X-H2s have the same IBIS. They were the newest until a few days ago, after Fujifilm announced X-T5 with IBIS. In terms of selection, there are a few camera models but in terms of range, it's only high-end ones with the exception of the X-S10.

Just received this email from Smallrig for the X-T5

Worth getting the X-T5 just for this, check out the whole page to see the half grip as well.

These should sell a lot for Fuji regardless of how god the camera works.
Wonder if I can trade my X-T4

smallrig X-T5.jpg

Smallrig half case.jpg

Just received this email from Smallrig for the X-T5

Worth getting the X-T5 just for this, check out the whole page to see the half grip as well.

These should sell a lot for Fuji regardless of how god the camera works.
Wonder if I can trade my X-T4

View attachment 346272

View attachment 346273
Want to trade your X-T4 with my Sony a7R II? I'll throw in a lens for free :p

Why is weather sealing important?
20221106_113438.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's been like this for 5 straight days, raining more then 12 hours a day with heavy downpour for hours. This autumn might be the heaviest floods yet in the South West.

PS. I got wet just looking out the window.

Last edited:
If you're looking to rekindle the fun element of photography, grab a Fuji
Funny thing how different things tickle different pickles... For me it was the other way around, kinda...

Back when I bought the X-Pro1 I hoped that it's old-school control arrangement would make it feel more like an old film camera and rekindle my photo mojo, that had been in a slumber for more than a decade after I'd sold all my darkroom stuff an my Mamiya 645 ProTL. But it didn't. Then I happened to spot the Canon EOS 6D on a black friday sale back in 2018, and decided to give that a try. And boy, did it work! The 6D felt more like a late film-era SLR and with that thing in hand I slowly found my mojo again. Though to be completely fair, the tool worked only as a trigger here. But it was enough to encourage me to take photos again, and venture out.

So, for some people it's Fuji. For me it was a Canon... Which is a bit like saying "I found the love of driving behind the wheel of a Corolla", but heck, I've seriously heard even that happen...

Funny thing how different things tickle different pickles... For me it was the other way around, kinda...

Back when I bought the X-Pro1 I hoped that it's old-school control arrangement would make it feel more like an old film camera and rekindle my photo mojo, that had been in a slumber for more than a decade after I'd sold all my darkroom stuff an my Mamiya 645 ProTL. But it didn't. Then I happened to spot the Canon EOS 6D on a black friday sale back in 2018, and decided to give that a try. And boy, did it work! The 6D felt more like a late film-era SLR and with that thing in hand I slowly found my mojo again. Though to be completely fair, the tool worked only as a trigger here. But it was enough to encourage me to take photos again, and venture out.

So, for some people it's Fuji. For me it was a Canon... Which is a bit like saying "I found the love of driving behind the wheel of a Corolla", but heck, I've seriously heard even that happen...
It's never to late to find the passion of crashing Corollas either ... Well for me it was back in 2001 when I played Need For Speed: Underground for the first time :p

(At this point the only format I have not tried is Medium Format, Large Format and Leica ... And I have no spare organs left for either of those.)

Last edited:
Which is a bit like saying "I found the love of driving behind the wheel of a Corolla", but heck, I've seriously heard even that happen…
Well, one of my first “true driving experiences” was behind the wheel of a 1995 ford ranger. 4-banger, stick shift, with no power steering or AC. Was more fun than I cared to admit.

A good tread to stumble over in the midst of a Fujifilm oogling frenzy. (y)

When I was pondering getting back into "serious" photography again, I was looking into, and had decided to go with Fuji, untill I got some hard recommendations towards M-43, had a browse and went down that wormhole.

Personally, I think the frenzies, for me, boils down to "The grass is greener" syndrome combined with "Ohh, nice and shiny new stuff" inspiration. :drinks:

That said, I do like the looks of both the X-E 3 or 4 and the X-S10, but realistically, I find very few upsides and some downsides to branching out or doing a system swap.

I probably look at these things slightly differently to many others. I like things that offer something different to alternative options. I have no interest in the XS-10 or X-H because they're too similar in style and operation to OM1's / G9's etc. But i might want an Xpro or X-t purely for the retro layout. I'd accept that there are downsides - no ibis perhaps, the dial layout for Iso might be awkward etc etc - because I'd honed in on the things that I was buying it for. I'm not bothered by issues with the X-trans , because it's the actual look that it can give that I'm after. I know from my time with an X100F that sometimes the sensor is perfect for the conditions, sometimes it's not. I actually like that. I used to go hunting for light and tones that I knew would suit it. At the moment, currently, I'm looking for an early model X-T , X-E or X-pro because to my eye I can see a difference between the first gen X-trans and the later ones. But I'm not expecting them to be my allrounders and everyday cameras. I'm looking for a specific reason/use for them. They give a different look, with different operation. And they'll be (relatively) cheap, especially since I only want a couple of primes. If it were to be my sole system with big investment in a complete glass kit, that's a totally different kettle of fish.

Similarly, I'd like a Sigma Merrill. I know operationally they're a PITA. But those sensors unquestionably offer a different look to all others. I like that difference.

I still shoot older ccd sensors at times because I see a difference . Others may not. That's fine. I shoot for me.

I still think optical Vf's are better in some situations, so I'm still interested in Dslr's.

It's all about getting out and shooting. Pick whatever appeals to you the most, that will inspire you to take photos. With a few exceptions - the AI focus on my OM1 absolutely improved my results at the Phillip Island GP , for example - the various technology in differing cameras won't make us better photographers, but encouraging us to get out more often because something about a certain camera makes us want to use it certainly will. If that means you end up with various 2nd hand tools for various jobs / looks, then that's ok in my book.

So, work out what interests you about Fuji and find the cheapest model that offers those factors. Try them. Find it isn't what you thought / wanted? Move it on. Finances are always an issue , of course. But that's another story. If you can afford it, and you think it'll be fun, then try it. You'll get better through sheer practice, and you'll practice more if you love the gear. I've long thought that sometimes, the scornful "form over function" criticism is badly misguided. There's nothing wrong with form BEING the function if it makes people take more photographs.

Last edited:
I like all the systems. I think at this moment right now, each system has very little overall advantage over each other if you look at a big, common picture. Each advantage balances with a disadvantage. I've had nearly a decade and a half of chronic itching and have recently scratched most of it all away. What am I left with? A Fuji system that by my approximation is pretty close to the middle of the spectrum. For me, it adds a little style and likability that I can really groove with. A little more toy than tool.

A good friend and great photographer once told me. APS-C(Fuji) is neither here nor there. There's no advantage being in the middle. I agreed then but now that I've felt the extremes in my hands I disagree. Compromise can be sweet. And scratching that itch? Worth every penny.

I have been a MFT (Olympus) shooter for around 7 years, after moving from Canon. I made the move because I wanted smaller bodies and lenses. I am only a hobbyist and found that I simply never left the house with my old canon gear, because I couldnt be arsed to carry it!

I very much enjoyed those 7 years, and still have my PenF along with a few lenses.

I did however trade in my EM1.3 and most of my MFT zoom lenses to buy into the Fuji system.

The first reason was that much like my beloved PenF, the color profiles or "film sims" encourage me to keep taking photos, quite often being happy with SOOC Jpegs. Although my EM1.3 and other Oly gear took great photos, I find I have less time/enthusiasm in post processing to get the look and feel I wanted from my images.

The retro styling of the bodies makes me "want" to hold them, use them, and ultimately leave the house with them most days. Again, much like my PenF.

Finally, the system is still compact and has a great lens choice/quality. A weathersealed Xpro with one of the small WR prime lenses is a wicked little setup

I have always said that the best camera you can get, is the one that you "want" to take with you on a day out. If you leave it at home, you may as well just use your phone!

Last edited:
I think I misrepresented his opinion in my overly dramatic statement.
For him, he needed FF for work, and he used mFT for street and family. That was a while ago. Pre Canikon mirrorless. Pre PDAF mFT.
Today, he would have a much better chance to make it all work with the smaller system sensors. Or more likely, a FF systems with smaller lenses for fun and the big stuff for work.
Or most likely both, which is great if afforded.
A strange comment and time has shown it to be a bit misguided, methinx
I agree with your disagreement :D

This thread may well become more meaningful for me, lol. My local camera store are expecting to have a low shutter count (supposedly) X-t1 to come in. I'll go and and have a look at it if/when it does. I have the X100 (Bayer sensor) so one of the early X-trans bodies appeals if it's fairly cheap. I did have an X-e1 for a short time but I gave it to my brother in law when his kids were born (and his money situation was precarious).

Only problem then is, I'll need a cheapish lens. I was thinking maybe the 27mm but I really want an aperture ring - part of the appeal for me - so it'd have to be the WR version and they aren't overly cheap as yet (unless bought with an X-e4, lol). Maybe I can dig up a 2nd hand 23/2 or 35/2. Or what is the reputation of the 16/2.8 like? Getting a bit wide for a one-lens kit but probably wouldn't break the bank. I'm really just getting an idea on whether the X-T (or Xpro if i could find one that isn't quite expensive) series is for me or not.

As an aside, i feel like there's a bit of a price premium on fuji atm. the X100 series price increases are well known, but it seems to me that even the other 2nd hand bodies have jumped in asking price relative to a year or so ago.

Last edited:
Only problem then is, I'll need a cheapish lens. I was thinking maybe the 27mm but I really want an aperture ring - part of the appeal for me - so it'd have to be the WR version and they aren't overly cheap as yet (unless bought with an X-e4, lol). Maybe I can dig up a 2nd hand 23/2 or 35/2. Or what is the reputation of the 16/2.8 like? Getting a bit wide for a one-lens kit but probably wouldn't break the bank. I'm really just getting an idea on whether the X-T (or Xpro if i could find one that isn't quite expensive) series is for me or not.
Had a look at the offerings from Viltrox ? Not compacts at f:1.4, but they seem to be cheap and relatively cheerful.

This thread may well become more meaningful for me, lol. My local camera store are expecting to have a low shutter count (supposedly) X-t1 to come in. I'll go and and have a look at it if/when it does. I have the X100 (Bayer sensor) so one of the early X-trans bodies appeals if it's fairly cheap. I did have an X-e1 for a short time but I gave it to my brother in law when his kids were born (and his money situation was precarious).

As an aside, i feel like there's a bit of a price premium on fuji atm. the X100 series price increases are well known, but it seems to me that even the other 2nd hand bodies have jumped in asking price relative to a year or so ago.
Yeah, and Fuji’s lineup only makes it more challenging. X-T3 was not replaced by the X-T4, but they phased out the X-T3 before announcing the X-T5. Then they launch an X-T30ii that seemingly only added a few new filters. The X-H1 was mysteriously discontinued well before the X-H2 dropped. Oh and then there’s the X-S10, and don’t forget about the Xpro! Then you have each model behaving ever so slightly differently with film sims, even among models with the same sensor and processor. You almost want to buy used so the dust can settle on all the quirks among the current lineup.

Back