Fuji The itch for Fujifilm, to switch or not.

Practically all of the TTArtisan manual lenses are somewhere between very good, excellent and superb, IMHO. I'll also second both Arturo's and Randy's recommendations of the two AF Fujifilm 35mm lenses. The 35mm f/1.4 became one of my favorite lenses ever during the year or so that I used it regularly; and now, its spot (as one of my favorite lenses, period) has been claimed by the smaller, slightly slower (but faster focusing) 35mm f/2. Mine is the WR version with the clickable aperture ring and, combined with a WR body (which my XT3 has), makes for a compact camera+lens combo that shines in virtually most inclement weather conditions.

I've now ordered a TTA 35/1.4 for the princely sum of 90 dollars delivered, lol.

I'm hopeful I can find some nice pictures to make with it, but initially it's really just about seeing if I like the X-T1 and ILC Fuji in general.

My main system is MFT and I find the lower-and-mid-range Fuji branded lenses a little expensive by comparison. (But strangely, some of their presumably elite glass like the new LM primes are cheaper than the Oly Pro primes, for example). But even the old 18mm/2 is pretty pricey at AU$800, which I hadn't expected.

One lens that does appeal to me is the 16/2.8 if I opt to invest more into the system . It looks compact, weathersealed and apparently sharp. Though I do like some character too so it's perhaps a stop slow. Anyway, we'll see how we get on. Hopefully I'll have the TTA in a few days.

Last edited:
My "budget" Fuji kit has, finally, arrived. Impressions and thoughts will follow over the weekend.

IMG_20230120_164033445-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice, the X-T1 is a great camera. I still have mine and need to start using it more (I have the 2 and 3 as well). I’m a big fan of manual lenses as well and will be interested to hear how the TTArtisan 35 is - I ended up with the 7Artisan 35/1.2

1st shot, jpeg, classic chrome, early morning light whilst I have a coffee, (I think) wide open, Auto white balance Transferred via Fuji app to phone, one-touch editing on Snapseed .

2023_0121_18470300-01.jpeg

I think I'll put together a bit of a review over coming days/week if anyone is interested. First impressions is that this camera is intriguingly well done for its age - I probably shouldn't be surprised as I have the even older X100 Classic - , and this lens is gorgeously retro in its design.

IMG_20230121_061756515-01.jpeg

It certainly seems so. I need to confirm this, but exif software seems to suggest a shutter count under 20!!
I’m afraid those online shutter count checkers are not accurate on early fuji models. My Xpro2 said it had only 120 actuations when I bought it. Then I did a firmware update, now it says only 64!? Haha.

Either way, your XT1 looks like a minter. Hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, I'd agree that even the later models have similar reporting struggles. The last X-T3 I bought claimed to have 5, but there were scratches on the body. Even a demo model would have had the shutter pressed more than 5 times. My current X-T3 reports about 25k. That's actually the highest shutter count I've ever had on a camera, but I know that's pretty much nothing on a modern camera. Even if the rated life is 100k, I'll probably never get there before getting something else, if my past behavior is any indication, anyway. Though honestly I find the X-T3 to be very close to the perfect camera body. Solid, comfortable to use, not too heavy, great EVF, just the right amount of dials and buttons, a dual-flip display, and lots of DR to be had out of the sensor. The only thing I might wish it had is IBIS, which is basically what the X-T4 does, except then I lose the dual flip display. I haven't found IBIS to be that critical when a higher ISO would help instead of a lower shutter speed.

I'm really enjoying the size, layout and general operation of the X-T1.

A question for those with experience - ignoring the different focal lengths (and therefore usage), which is the better lens ? The 35/1.4 or "old" 23/1.4 ? Some general research seems to suggest the 35/1.4 has some "magic" in it, but the 23/1.4 is sharper but perhaps more clinical?

A question for those with experience - ignoring the different focal lengths (and therefore usage), which is the better lens ? The 35/1.4 or "old" 23/1.4 ? Some general research seems to suggest the 35/1.4 has some "magic" in it, but the 23/1.4 is sharper but perhaps more clinical?
What do you mean by better?

Unfortunately I have no experience with the XF 23mm f/1.4 - but I did own and use the XF 35mm f/1.4 for nearly a year and, to put it simply, it was hands down one of the best lenses I have ever had or used. Though it's an imprecise and subjective term, the one I had definitely had some "magic" in it.

I think the choice lies with which focal or size you prefer.
The magic in my experience with the 35mm 1.4 is in the OOF rendering. I've read some say it's field curvature, color rendering, non-clinical-ness, fairy dust and more. I can agree with all of it (except for the dust ;)).
The 23 has some of all of that. But the focal is wider and it's larger in size. So less, I think.
I've never felt either as being the sharper of the two. Both are very competent in the usual curve. Sharp centers in the wider apertures and improving stopped down.

What do you mean by better?

Yeah, it's an arbitrary term that in hindsight i can't even define for myself, let alone ask for anyone else's help.

I like my lenses to have flexibility re close focusing and a smooth transition to out of focus area's , where the in-focus subject doesn't look pasted onto the background due to pure shallow depth of field.

I actually had a very brief play with the 23/1.4 R (the old one, not the new LM WR version) in a store . It seemed to be a very sharp little lens with decent AF , and the MF clutch reminded me of the Olympus Pro primes which is a nice bonus. The fabric pattern on the lens sleeve has good definition, even in low light.

DSCF7262dxo2.jpg

This may be my first Fuji AF lens, especially since the 23/2 is reputedly a little hazy at close focusing distances. I'd probably look to add the 16/2.8 , and maybe a 56 or 60 a bit later.

As mentioned, I'm really enjoying the ergo's of the X-T1 , and i do find myself wondering if the Ibis equipped X-T5 could be the siren call to really delve into the system in a big way.

The magic in my experience with the 35mm 1.4 is in the OOF rendering. I've read some say it's field curvature, color rendering, non-clinical-ness, fairy dust and more. I can agree with all of it (except for the dust ;)).

Yes, 'fairy dust' is the one I have heard most :) So much so that I have added the 24 f/1.4 to my collection even though I have the 'cron' 35f2 which is actually perfectly good as well
I think in the end you need to decide on the focal length you will find most useful

One lens that does appeal to me is the 16/2.8 if I opt to invest more into the system . It looks compact, weathersealed and apparently sharp. Though I do like some character too so it's perhaps a stop slow.
Unfortunately all of those "Crons" sort of lack character and are rather clinical. They however make a well combined overall package:
  • Compact
  • Light
  • Fast and silent AF
  • Weather resistent
  • Aren't too expensive
Personally I own the 16 f2.8, 23 f2 as well as the 50 f2. This is more or less my original trio of lenses which I got for my X-Pro3 and I quite like them, although all of them have their cons, the overall quality is good. The 23 and 50 are my most used, while the 16 only sees fairly little use.

well, im about to head out the door and will most likely return with an X-pro2 that looks to be in pretty good nick. The lens choice is still open , I like the 23/1.4 as a lens , but it's a compromise with the OVF frame of the X-pro, and that OVF frame is in large part why I'm buying it - over an XT2/3 etc - so it may end up being a 23/2 or 35/2 for the tapered barrel design. Possibly a 35/1.4 if they have one and it doesn't foul the 35mm frame lines too much. If it does end up being one of the 35's, my next lens would likely be an 18mm, just to get that real focal length separation. The downside to the 35's is that i (kinda) have that focal length covered with a TTartisan lens.

In some ways I'd prefer the X-pro3 , that tilt screen would definitely be useful for an allround camera. But A) they're hard to find , B) they're much more expensive, C) the tilt screen ribbon cable does seem to ab an issue on some samples and D) i think the dual magnification OVF of the XP2 possibly suits me a bit more than the XP3 setup. possibly.

decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Back