Leica The Leica look - what makes it, what is it?

Pictor, thank you for posting your "Leica-ized" shot. I don't know if I would have voted it as having "the look" or not, but I like this version much better, too. The real woman seems to stand out much more in this one, if I recall correctly, from the original version.

Good points Bill. I'm ruminating on all of this, rather like Wouter's sheep.

I don't know if we're beating a dead Leica look horse into the ground here quite yet, or not. For me there's something about a real feeling of light that has to be there and if the photo is going to be in black and white then it needs some true whites and true blacks. Bill, if you haven't yet looked at some of those Flickr photos, Wouter posted a link to (not his), you should...I believe most are in color and they're quite something.

LFI - Leica Master Shots

I came across this site LFI: Leica Fotografie International today which I'm sure many of you were already aware of. I was specifically looking for photographs taken with the X1, but you can see other Leica camera photographs that made the cut in there, too - there are different sections for the different cameras.. Here is link to the slide show for the "best images" or "master shots" for the X1: X1 Master Shots See what you think - X1, M9, M8, D-Lux...V-Lux and analogue too. Certainly there are some really nice photographs!

I am getting in on this thread a bit late, but I think a lot of the "Leica Look" has to do with the way you shoot and use a range finder -vs- say an SLR or a medium format camera.

When I think of Lecia shots I think of H.C.B. or Winogrand, or the many Magnum photographers.

They would use zone focus and deep DOF along with wide angle lenses, something todays bokeh obsessed DSLR internet users forget. By doing so the background might be out of focus but you could tell what and/or where it was which gave the images must more meaning as it sets them in a time and place

Lower contrast, preservation of shadow detail, highlights are not clipped, high-degree of color correction.

picture.php

Summarit 50mm F1.5, wide-open on the M3.

Even in this harsh lighting, the histogram of the scanned negative shows almost no clipping.

picture.php

I've been using Leica's for about 10 years now, and am more taken with the rendering of the 1950s lenses.

Type 1 Rigid Summicron at F4. (made from 2 parts lenses)

picture.php

As far as "content" of the image making it "Leica", I like to use mine for everyday photography like today's Picnic at the local park. These camera were used by professionals and amateurs alike. If you ever want to read a good book by a Leica enthusiast "written in the day", pick up a book written by "Walther Benser"

I should add- my 1937 Sonnar spends a lot of time on the Leica's as well.

1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar converted to LTM, at F1.5.
picture.php

Subject moved during exposure.

Nikki has been photographed with more classic cameras than most kids. When she was 4 years old, she would ask to take pictures. Nina would offer a P&S, Nikki would respond with "No, with DADDY's camera". So by age five, she had used a Leica M3, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, and Canon 7. The M3 was the only one to get "Daddy, your camera is beautiful!", when she was 4. She is pretty good with the M8 now.

Zeiss and Leitz had very different design philosophies during the 1930s through to about 1960. Leica lenses were known for being highly corrected for color and aberrations. Zeiss lenses were known for speed and contrast, and being sharp even when used wide-open. Zeiss Sonnar vs Leitz Xenon. During WW-II, Zeiss was ordered to make Sonnar lenses in Leica mount. Best of both worlds for some.

I think there is a Leica look. It has to do with several things, not the least of which is that if you're that serious and spend that much money on a camera, you're probably pretty serious about your photography. So a lot of folks who shoot Leica and do it for a long time inevitably become better photographers. So when they nail focus (great point Scott) with an amazing Leica lens, and use everything they've learned by doing, the result can often be something amazing.

The best Leica lenses to me are about exquisite contrast. Not excessive, but balanced. Creamy bokeh and perfectly sharp, but not clinically sharp (my Mamiya 7 can sometimes be accused of this). When it all falls into place, this recipe makes for a 3D look. Then of course, there are unique masterpieces like the Noctilux that just do unholy things to the real world and have a distinctly unique look all their own.

Of course, an absolute a-hole can also buy a Leica and make images that hurt your eyes. And anyone can be fooled with the amount of post processing options currently available. But if you're being honest and disciplined, the Leica system will reward you. Which is the least it could do for that kind of coin!

I found some Leica M8 presets for lightroom that work very well on some images. The following is from my other thread but thought it would fit here too as the presets are a great starting point to make your images look Leica-ish! Here is the link to the presets:

Link: M8 Lightroom Presets

Also here is a colour pic of what the preset does compared to the orig non pp'd shot and my pp'd shot:

Here are 3 images to show the difference:

1: NO PP, Straight out of the camera (E-P1)
Leica_Preset_Test_NO_PP.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2: My PPing
Leica_Preset_TestMy_PP.jpg

3: Leica Auto WB Preset:
Leica_Preset_TestLeica_AutoWB_PP.jpg

Ghosthunter,

Nice comparison and pics.

Personally, I like the one you PP'd, in the middle. The last one just looks cold/moody to me. The original out of the camera just looks a tad over-exposed to me.

Some ideas for another 2 cent.
Is it possible to say, that all photos of cameras from the company "Monkeybrand" do NOT show the Leica look?
Otherwise we land at double-blind tests like the attempts to prove the effectiveness of homeopathy.

During the film era the lens had to deliver the Leica look.
In the digital era the camera plays a role too, it can check, what lens is delivering the picture and could manipulate the picture.
Another point is the algorithm, that produces the picture from a bundle of sensors, each carrying a color filter.
Jan

I use my Leica's with color film almost exclusively, and do not "Black and White"-ize my M8 images. I would buy a monochrome M9.

Leica M3, 9cm F4 Collapsible Elmar, Wide-Open:

picture.php

Low-Contrast in this image is responsible for the Sailor's eyes not being lost in the shadow of the Cap.

Same lens and Camera, Fujicolor 200, handheld at 1/15th:

picture.php

I chose this lens for the size and rendering.

This lens cost $100. There are bargains out there, and lenses that get overlooked. This is one of them.

Back