Leica The Leica M11 Monochrome officially announced.

Brian

Product of the Fifties

Leica brings out the fourth-generation Leica M monochrome camera.

Makes me happy- lots of debate over the benefits of a digital monochrome camera. Kodak had wanted to do a monochrome version of the M8. The engineer at Kodak told me so when I called in 2010 asking for a monochrome M9.

I'm also thrilled to see the monochrome Pentax SLR. I would like to see a monochrome Mirrorless camera- as that would be the ultimate "see what you get" when selecting filters.

I understand (correct me if I'm wrong - if I am, great), that the software/ hardware on this camera, aside from the obvious B&W sensor, is the same as the M11. Might be one for the early adopters then?

An individual that I first met on a Nikon brand specific board and follow of Flickr, recently got a Q2M. The results he is getting with that camera made me consider used M10-M. But I came across a used M10-R in like new condition with a 1 year Leica warranty for a good price. So I jumped at that.

All the same, I can see the point in having a specialized monochrome camera. Now if Leica had brought out a CL-M instead of killing off the CL, I may have never got thr M

I understand (correct me if I'm wrong - if I am, great), that the software/ hardware on this camera, aside from the obvious B&W sensor, is the same as the M11. Might be one for the early adopters then?
The hardware/software for the camera should be mostly the same. I would wait a few months for the camera to be out, and any issues worked out before buying. In the past- issues such as the calibration of the left/right halves of the image were discovered for the M10M. There is leading edge, and bleeding edge. I've been on both. I've made exceptions- the Df, and my own M Monochrom.

Back