The Light L16 Camera

I remember reading early reviews on it. Seems a neat concept. I think the hardware is decent, but the software implementation on it got really trashed in the reviews. Still, if it is just software that is the issue, then that is something that can be improved.

I like seeing projects like this as it helps to push the tech envelope. Not on my radar at this point, but I like you thought about investigating it down the road when it is more affordable. I thought about doing the same for the Lytro Illum. Used ones now are under $300.

I almost pulled the trigger on this two years ago. Then after the n-th insider video by the company / founder, I realized all those lenses were individual mirror boxes. Use case for a phone-sized camera that is subject to drops and spills just like any other candy-bar format phone? Quickly cancelled the order.

It's also Computational Photography, for which I am an admirer. They need more work though and there is more than one way to skin the cat.

I signed up before its release and read some of the reviews. It is still not cheap, but Pre-Black Friday sale: For a limited time only, use the code EARLYBIRD for 35% off an L16.

Back