The Long Journey (Maintaining an Expensive Hobby and a Good Marriage)

Simon,
That was the most enjoyable read I've had in some time.
I actually read it twice and for the first time in weeks, feel very relaxed.
Thanks, great stuff....
Don

Simon,

A lot of my own Photographic "trip", was pictured in your story. (I'm 65 in Nov.) I love simple, well designed and constructed equipment that just works. I'm now passing through G1 and canon G10. But may stop and set up camp for a long while. G1 is working very well and expecting G10 tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing a ride,

It's an older experienced man's thread. The youngsters just won't understand.

That's it exactly, Don, at our age, we have a history, something the younger generation have yet to course. I already see G.A.S. to a degree in my kids. Regardless of what we say, they have to make their own way.

We, with deeper, older, and (generally) wiser understanding, however, can benefit from a more realistic outlook and fiscal view. And if you're lucky, the peace that it can bring.

Don, Steve & Bill, I appreciate your comments, and I'm glad the piece spoke to you.

Ciao,

Aside from the article, I must say that those are all excelent photos. Maybe after a few decades of doing this I can get some great photos like like. The problem I have is that I don't just have one hobby. Between my competitive league bowling, kite flying, photography, and more recently astronomy, juggling GAS between those hobbies is quite a delicate balancing act, let alone trying to keep my girlfriend happy.

Great read!!!!

I've been following right behind you.... as I made similar changes to similar systems for similar reasons.

1) film Minolta 7000 (Dad's)
2) film Pentax Spotmatic / K1000 and Canonet (College vintage interests mostly BW negative)
3) film Canon EOS and Leica M3 w/ its original 50 Summicron (My first Leica)
4) digital Canon EOS which grew to an enormous system. (Worked Retail... hand in the cookie jar type thing. I didn't like carrying it.. neither did my wife :p )
5) Canon EOS (sold a bunch) w/ Epson R-D1 (Rediscovered that I worked with SLRs, but enjoyed Rangefinders)
6) Canon EOS (sold more) w/ Leica M8 and Epson R-D1 (photography is a hobby and no longer work. Camera has to fit my life)
7) Sold the R-D1 remaining Canon. Leica M8 and M9. Used Cheap panny G1 to play around with.
8) Leica M9 /w M8. E-PL1 for when I want telephoto, AF, and to enjoy my collection of adapted manual lenses.

PS> I have two seller regrets.... Epson R-D1 and the Tri-Elmar 28-35-50 that was melded to it. I agree... it was one of the best systems.

390260777.jpg

Sniff Sniff...

320270403.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thank you for sharing your equipment and philosophical story. I enjoyed it so much that I signed up for this (yet another!) forum.

Cheers, Robert

Simon, thank you. I've just finished reading your article and loved it. Though not a man, nor have I had the vast experience that you've had with so many different lenses and cameras, I can understand quite a bit of what you've written. Your photographs along with your beautiful words make are very well focussed. I felt a sigh of relief as I read and closed in towards the end. I think you've reached photographic nirvana, or certainly a plateau close to it. Having read this, I feel a strange kind of peace (though I have to admit to a resurgence of GAS for the NEX - again).

You've achieved a pièce de résistance with this article and accompanying photographs. Simon, I'm honored that you posted here with us. Beautifully written.

Please give my best to your wife and let her know that I think you mean what you say.:flowers_2:

Back