Panasonic The LX7 - Wow

Nice shot Miguel,

Looks a tad dark for my taste but none the less a good capture that reflects the contemplation of individuals in the church and makes you wonder what they are thinking / praying for.

It also shows what the LX7 can do in low light.

Chuck,

Just hope it is not too soon, the predictions are for an LX8 with a 1" sensor............if the lens is as good as the one on the LX7 it will be stunning (but no doubt expensive).

The latest rumors on the LX8 continue to be the 1" sensor (not gonna be m43) with the same 24-90 focal range, but at f2.0-2.8. And with EVF of some sort. So the lens would lose a stop or less to the LX7 through the zoom range but, if the sensor is the Sony or on par with it, it'll proably gain back 2-3 stops over the LX7. If the overall package isn't too much larger (by slowing down the lens maybe they can keep it close?) and they maintain all of the great controls and features from the LX7, sounds like a really compelling little package to me. And 4k video for them that likes it. That part is lost on me, but sounds pretty impressive nonetheless. As much as I loved the LX5 and LX7, this would be pretty tough to resist. And if I could just tell myself that the step-zoom is NOT a zoom but a very very very small bag of primes and actually USE the camera that way, I might really get some use out of it. But if I give into the temptation to use the zoom like a zoom, I'd no doubt never use it after a little while and end up selling it too soon. Should know in about another month...

-Ray

It certainly seems like the rumours are pointing toward a real step up in all directions potentially making it a very desireable camera.

I am amazed at the results I am getting from the LX7 and a 1" sensor will enhance that a great deal and providing pricing is sensible it will probably prove to be a very attractive purchase.

It will be interesting to see if Leica follow suite especially after the launch of the 'T'

It certainly seems like the rumours are pointing toward a real step up in all directions potentially making it a very desireable camera.

I am amazed at the results I am getting from the LX7 and a 1" sensor will enhance that a great deal and providing pricing is sensible it will probably prove to be a very attractive purchase.

It will be interesting to if Leica follow suite especially after the launch of the 'T'

Leica has always done a re-badged version of the LX series cameras which are identical except for a slight change in body style and maybe the style of the menus a bit. And, of course, there's a red dot on the front! I can't imagine they wouldn't do the same with the LX8...

It'll be interesting to see whether this new batch of rumored 1" cameras (LX8, X30, XZ???, Nikon 8000) are able to buy Sony's 1" sensor or if they'll be sourcing them elsewhere. I haven't seen any indication whether any of these will be the same 20mp as the RX100. Hopefully, the low light capabilities will be as good or, if they're using lower mp sensors, possibly better... The LX7 is good enough that the primary advantage of a camera like this would likely be low light (and video) so it'll be interesting to see how much better it is...

-Ray

LX7 perfect for Deep DOF in low light

It'll be interesting to see whether this new batch of rumored 1" cameras (LX8, X30, XZ???, Nikon 8000) are able to buy Sony's 1" sensor or if they'll be sourcing them elsewhere. I haven't seen any indication whether any of these will be the same 20mp as the RX100.

Sony has been keeping their 1" sensor exclusive to themselves -- Nikon gets theirs from Aptina. Since Panasonic and Fuji both make sensors, I expect they'll roll their own 1". If the LX8 does 4K video, odds are it will be a Panasonic sensor.

Hopefully, the low light capabilities will be as good or, if they're using lower mp sensors, possibly better... The LX7 is good enough that the primary advantage of a camera like this would likely be low light (and video) so it'll be interesting to see how much better it is...

I guess we'll find out soon. Kinda sad to see the LX7 go though...

Shallow DOF may be all the rage, but for those who need deep DOF in low light (me), the LX7's small sensor + fast lens are hard to beat. Bigger sensor cameras need to stop down to match it (-2.7 stops for m4/3, -1.8 stops for 1"). I wonder if the LX8 will be as clean at ISO1,400 as the LX7 is at ISO400. I suspect not.

Sony has been keeping their 1" sensor exclusive to themselves -- Nikon gets theirs from Aptina. Since Panasonic and Fuji both make sensors, I expect they'll roll their own 1". If the LX8 does 4K video, odds are it will be a Panasonic sensor.

I guess we'll find out soon. Kinda sad to see the LX7 go though...

Shallow DOF may be all the rage, but for those who need deep DOF in low light (me), the LX7's small sensor + fast lens are hard to beat. Bigger sensor cameras need to stop down to match it (-2.7 stops for m4/3, -1.8 stops for 1"). I wonder if the LX8 will be as clean at ISO1,400 as the LX7 is at ISO400. I suspect not.
It would make sense that Panasonic would make their own, particularly with that video capability, as you said. But I don't think Fuji makes their own sensors - I think all of their X-series bodies have used Sony sensors with the Fuji X-Trans color array overlaid on it. Not sure, but that's my understanding...

I'd say the RX100 is as good or better at ISO 3200 as the LX7 at 800, so the stopping down should work. And I think the 1" sensor may be a sweet spot for low light shooting with deeper DOF - there's a lot of DOF even pretty close to wide open in those. For sure less than those in the LX7 and G15 type cams, but pretty good. I always thought the RX100 would have been a really good low light zone focus street shooter if it just had some sort of rudimentary MF distance scale...

-Ray

Archiver, do yourself a favor and order the JCC "auto-cap" spring-leaf lens cover. I sourced mine through Amazon USA for about $10. Makes all the difference in the world and adds very little to the camera's footprint. An added bonus is that it is a bayonet mount, after you remove the lens flange. They also offer a high-quality aluminum extension tube by Kiwi (also bayonet mount) for $10 that accepts the LWA52 18mm Panasonic converter or a filter.

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

Archiver, do yourself a favor and order the JCC "auto-cap" spring-leaf lens cover. I sourced mine through Amazon USA for about $10. Makes all the difference in the world and adds very little to the camera's footprint. An added bonus is that it is a bayonet mount, after you remove the lens flange. They also offer a high-quality aluminum extension tube by Kiwi (also bayonet mount) for $10 that accepts the LWA52 18mm Panasonic converter or a filter.

I have a UV filter on my LX7 and to date no issues with the lens cap, this does sound interesting though but I do wonder if having the filter on will prevent it closing completely when the camera is off?

I have a UV filter on my LX7 and to date no issues with the lens cap, this does sound interesting though but I do wonder if having the filter on will prevent it closing completely when the camera is off?

I don't know, but I suspect it wouldn't work. Maybe other SC members or the Panasonic forum over at DPR would know.

Thanks Geoff,

I will wait and see if anyone else can help but not critical as long as I don't lose the lens cap (the one that came with the adaptor kit does not have a loop hole for the cord.

I don't think Fuji makes their own sensors - I think all of their X-series bodies have used Sony sensors with the Fuji X-Trans color array overlaid on it. Not sure, but that's my understanding...

That's very interesting. I didn't know that. It certainly opens them up to more sensor options.

I'd say the RX100 is as good or better at ISO 3200 as the LX7 at 800, so the stopping down should work. And I think the 1" sensor may be a sweet spot for low light shooting with deeper DOF - there's a lot of DOF even pretty close to wide open in those. For sure less than those in the LX7 and G15 type cams, but pretty good.

I always tried to stay at or below ISO 400 on the LX7. The sensor falls apart fast above ISO 800. If the LX8 proves too tempting to resist, stopping down is what I'll be doing... :)

Currently with the better weather / brighter days I am shooting at 100 and as can be seen from the images I am able to get some pretty good noise free images.

I would certainly have concerns about pushing to even 800 with the current sensor size but the rumoured 1" snesor in the LX8 may well extend that to even 1600/3200.

Interesting times and lets hope that it is officiially announced in the middle of Jul as predicted.

Some of it is personal tolerance, but I was OK to 800 with the LX7, but barely. 400 was OK. With the LX5 I never went over 400. With the RX100 and RX10, I was very comfortable shooting at 3200 and even got by with 6400 in a pinch. 6400 was arguably a step too far with that sensor - not nearly as usable as on the current m43 or APS sensors - but it was better than 1600 on the LX7. So, assuming the LX8 sensor is the same as the RX100, the roughly one stop of slower lens will be a very easy price to pay...

And particularly for lower light street shooting where you want more DOF and wouldn't be shooting quite wide open anyway, the LX8 should be really good if they have the controls right...

-Ray

I agree with all you say Ray and add to that the rumoured tiltable/swing LCD as well as a possible built in EVF - all sounds like a very attractive package providing pricing is not over the top.

Having said that, these potential features are in line with the competition so it will have to deliver good 'Bang for the buck' to win a place in the pockets of many looking for a small pocket compact capable of good IQ

A few years ago I bought my sister a used LX3 to replace her generic P&S. We drove up the 600 miles for a visit over the weekend and was pleased to discover how well it has worked out for her. No deep analysis here, just many nice shots (she does scrap-booking) and a comment about how nice it was to have a quality camera. That pretty much sums up how most consumers will evaluate a serious compact. Panny's LX series has done that consistently well.

Just ordered a refurb LX7. It's another one of those cameras that I've been keen to try for some time, and the prices are finally coming down in the UK. Haven't pulled the trigger on a viewfinder yet until I see what I think of the camera.

A few years ago I bought my sister a used LX3 to replace her generic P&S. We drove up the 600 miles for a visit over the weekend and was pleased to discover how well it has worked out for her. No deep analysis here, just many nice shots (she does scrap-booking) and a comment about how nice it was to have a quality camera. That pretty much sums up how most consumers will evaluate a serious compact. Panny's LX series has done that consistently well.

I took some shots inside of a church with the LX3 at ISO 800, using only a monopod so I could shoot at 1/15 sec. or thereabouts. A very nice camera...
image.jpeg

Back