the May Serious Compacts Challenge

I'll join the challenge. I think I would prefer choosing my own subjects everyday because that's what I'm desperately trying to find, one tract to follow in photography. But why not 31 different prompts all in one style or something I'll probably learn something new and enjoy myself either way.

Lightmancer, I like your idea of 36 for a virtual roll. and in a way, it would take the heat off people who are "worried" about not doing it right or not "completing" it. It's really just for fun. So people can try do them all, or just do one a day for 31 or just do ones that appeal to them. It's not a contest and no one will be judged. The term challenge refers to challenging YOURSELF to get out and shoot. Because it's fun....and it's the best way to get better....and the fresh air will do you some good....and because taking photographs (and sharing them on the forum) is more fun than talking about cameras.

Love the ideas, Luke.

I am noodling on what camera/lens to use, but I am leaning towards a 50mm equiv. I struggle at this FoV and like the idea of the challenge pushing me to get more comfortable with that setup.

Thanks for organizing this!

Kyle, you don't have to commit to any one camera or lens. Theoretically you could use a different set-up for each shot. WHile the Single In January was meant to help us learn to see better and focus on using just one camera, this one is just meant to get everyone out shooting...period. Feel free to limit yourself (if you want)....or use ALL that wonderful gear you've got kicking around.

it is a possible for me, but I would prefer the idea of just shooting 36 different images with no repeating of the subjects as a opposed to searching out 36 prompts.

it is a possible for me, but I would prefer the idea of just shooting 36 different images with no repeating of the subjects as a opposed to searching out 36 prompts.

Bob, there has to be some tiny element of a challenge in there. Are there really people who don't capture 36 frames in an entire month? They don't need to be done in a specific order and they don't need to be done one per day. Also, I don't really see it as a treasure hunt where we need to really go out looking for specific things. I'm hoping that the prompts will be vague and very much open to interpretation. I really enjoy your work and would love to see you in the fold.

In the end, whatever you shoot is valid.....even if no one else can see a connection to the prompt.

Rather like Bob I am not too keen on the idea of "photographing to order" in terms of the subject material as decided by someone else. I really enjoyed the discipline of the SIJ but have held back on coming in on this challenge. That's why I am an infrequent participant in the weekly challenge. Most of my posted photographs are in the nature of recording some specific event rather than interpreting a theme, so I'm still undecided.

Barrie

It's not a contest and no one will be judged. The term challenge refers to challenging YOURSELF to get out and shoot. Because it's fun....and it's the best way to get better....and the fresh air will do you some good....and because taking photographs (and sharing them on the forum) is more fun than talking about cameras.

Absolutely.

I carry a camera every day, everywhere. Some days I use it, most days I don't. But the thought is always there. I like the idea of combining creativity, discipline and "cherchez l'image" in one exercise.

I suppose it's the challenge of not having choice that's most appealing ... something's a challenge if it forces me to step outside my comfort zone or stretches my stamina or requires me to learn something new .... if the challenge was "take a photo every day" then it's not much of a challenge at all for me, because that's what I do anyway ...

I fully appreciate that the challenge as constituted is indeed a challenge, for me it's probably a challenge too far. As a former engineer I can look back on engineering projects that are in the public eye, some were designed by men who were both engineers and artists, others by men who were engineers only. The difference is obvious for all to see. I would fall into the latter category.
I find it very difficult to interpret what I would call "abstract" ideas and I think I would feel uncomfortable in trying to do that, and therefore wouldn't stay the course. Likewise I wouldn't want to be one of the first 31 trying to come up with a subject for everyone else to attempt. My loss I'm sure.

Barrie

Barrie, we're definitely all wired differently and there's not a thing wrong with that. And I say that as a man who's married to an engineer.:love:
Even if it's a challenge too far for your way of working, I hope you'll follow along and enjoy our attempts. And of course, anyone can feel free to do a few shots if the muse grabs them. In the meantime, feel free to think up a new program for another month. I definitely benefit from being pushed in different directions and I enjoy the resulting cameraderie.

Back