The new Nikon Df is beautiful

I agree it looks very good, but maybe that's just old 'retro' me talking. I still don't care for big, heavy lenses, so an old Nikon 28 or 35mm lens on this would suit me.

But then, I'm happy with my X100 and its manual controls.

The Df should have very good noise characteristics, though.

I love it
Cept it's got a flappy mirror, no evf, non leaf shutter(silly ILC-ness), and that masp dial weirdos me out. Does fuji have a patent on putting an A on the other dials? Wow... That masp is seriously quirking me out, but I'm mental like that...it also seems just on the bad side of "is this too big???" But I looooove the look of most of it... *eyes the silly masp, corner of lip quivers and left eye twitches*

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I gotta say the looks don't do ANY-thing for me. And it's not like Nikon hasn't been working for years refining a great DSLR interface. I can't think of a single reason to spend almost half again more for this than a D610 or a Canon 6D if I wanted a DSLR and DSLR lenses.

I GET the A7 and on the outside chance they come out with some good primes in the 21-28mm range and they about the size of the 35 and a bit faster (which seems quite unlikely) I might buy in someday. But I think the odds are I stay with the little RX1 as my only full frame. Carrying more than that and the Nikon A already feels like a burden. M43 will be there for specific types of shooting but doesn't actually leave the house all that often. A full frame DSLR is still a full frame DSLR no matter how you dress it up.

Not for me...

-Ray

It's the same size as a D610 or 6D (checked camerasize.com). It's a DSLR with a smaller grip, boxier angles, and 3 dials (ss, ISO and EV).

But wouldn't it play nice with the older D lenses, with apertures? So, you could go full manual.

Sure, the back doesn't look retro, but what do you want? No LCD? ;)

btw -- it also has another feature. They dropped the video. Addition by subtraction???

DPR's summary from their initial hands-on Nikon Df Review
"As such, although I hate to say it: from a cold, hard practical point of view, I can't shake the feeling that the Df is a little bit... silly. Hardcore Nikon fans will point to the support for 50 year-old non-Ai lenses, which is valid, but I suspect that the constituency of photographers for whom this is a real selling point is vanishingly small. Of course, I could be wrong. Naturally, there will be some photographers who will see the Df purely in terms of a lower-cost shell for the D4's very capable sensor, and might not care about the design. "

In that video Boid shared, two things are clear to me. The camera is lovely and the shutter sound is cacophonous. Is there a word that means the opposite of discrete? Maybe this camera was designed for those who WANT to be seen.

I would hazard a guess from the specs on this camera that the development budget was relatively minimal: new (old) bodyshell and a stripped back, parts bin approach to the internals. Throw in the marketing cachet of having one of these on the shelf and the success of the DF may not need to be measured in how many hundred thousand units they ship.

According to DPR, the cameras was 4 years in design. Maybe it's just because it was a side project, or they couldn't get an agreement to release it??

I do hope it turns out to be more reliable than my previous Nikon cameras. I've owned the D50/90/600 and all have had faults, flash stopped working/intermittent fault where the shutter wouldn't work/dirty sensor out of box. I can't understand why it's the same size as the S600/610, yes it has the sensor from the D4 and is probably a better spec'd camera than the D600/610. All I can say is its good to see more options in the FF world so hopefully we will see more manufacturers doing the same.

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Back