The new Nikon Df is beautiful

Thanks for the review!

It's smaller than the D800, but not much more smaller than the D600/610, to which I think it's a closer comparison, no?

yeah, but not for me. My alternatives were D800 and Fuji back in June. I looked at the D600 but that one didn't work for me. But even compared to the D600/D610 it feels smaller. I know it isn't. Probably has to do with the size/shape of the body itself. The Df felt comfortable and less clunky than a 'regular" DSLR.

What I like is the use of the D4 sensor and speed, the comfort and handling. What I don't like is the viewfinder. I was suprosed by the weight although the camera is still pretty big. I am really looking forward to seeing/feeling the Sony A7/A7R ! But I do wonder if Sony delivers "3D generating images' lenses anytime soon (the 58mm shines in that respect).

Thanks for the review!

It's smaller than the D800, but not much more smaller than the D600/610, to which I think it's a closer comparison, no?

Aperture Dial

That, was my first thought. (Aperture dial) But with my problems, with old hands, I'm having trouble "feeling" the difference, in aperture and focusing rings. This might be a viable solution, at least for me. Not, that I'll be using this gem, anytime soon. So, my opinion just doesn't weigh very much. :)

I'm afraid they did not listen to me either. ;-)

That, was my first thought. (Aperture dial) But with my problems, with old hands, I'm having trouble "feeling" the difference, in aperture and focusing rings. This might be a viable solution, at least for me. Not, that I'll be using this gem, anytime soon. So, my opinion just doesn't weigh very much. :)

Thanks for the quick review.

Here is the size compared to A7/A7R:
10701132723_29e0144faa_b.jpg

I saw the Nikon Df today at my trusted camera shop. Herewith a comparison between the x-pro and the Df. I was able to hold it and try it a few minutes. My apologies for the comparison shots. They were taken with my iphone and I could not get a good angle and lighting. But you'll get the idea...

Thanks for the photos. For some reason, they make the Df look better than the glam shots I've seen up to now. Already available in your shop... that's fast!

You can make Sony system smaller, but not the Nikon, that is the point, eg try to find a 35mm 1.4 slr lens this small:

Voigtlander-35mm-f1.4-Nokton1-300x300.jpg

Samples at leicaplace: Leica

I have the nikkor 35mm 1.4 too, smaller then most of the newer 35mm 1.4 lenses but not a match...

Again check all the Zeiss zf lens sizes, nothing small/light weight. In compariable IQ to dslr nifties, you can get a small Jupiter 3 50mm 1.5 lens, smallest 50mm glass that I have/had. Here are samples at leicaplace:
Leica

It's not in store yet. It was a vendor day, so Canon, Nikon and others were there. I paid a quick visit. They told me the camera will be available on Nov. 28.

Thanks for the photos. For some reason, they make the Df look better than the glam shots I've seen up to now. Already available in your shop... that's fast!

You can make Sony system smaller, but not the Nikon, that is the point, eg try to find a 35mm 1.4 slr lens this small:

Voigtlander-35mm-f1.4-Nokton1-300x300.jpg

Samples at leicaplace: Leica

I have the nikkor 35mm 1.4 too, smaller then most of the newer 35mm 1.4 lenses but not a match...

Again check all the Zeiss zf lens sizes, nothing small/light weight. In compariable IQ to dslr nifties, you can get a small Jupiter 3 50mm 1.5 lens, smallest 50mm glass that I have/had. Here are samples at leicaplace:
Leica

yet, if using native glass, i personally would prefer a better /balance/
if i were adapting, then id want smaller, since id only ever adapt and give up my af with using tiny cute rf lenses :D

Yikes! That's how I felt about the DF when it was first announced. But once again, I find myself liking something I initially shunned. I played with one at the local shop when I went to exchange the A7 with kit lens for the body only A7. Almost walked out with a DF kit instead!! And now seriously considering it!!

My thoughts about it after 15 minutes with the DF at the local shop and bringing home half a dozen or so photos.

Build:

- Feels light in the hand due to its thickness. The grip isn't big, but the thickness gives my hand a lot to grip on. So good grip.

- The dials and buttons feel solid. Body feels solid too.

- Silver version has a toyish and plasticky look. All black looks much more retro and serious in my opinion.

Handling:

- Shutter button press is miles better than mushy button of Sony A7. Sound is quieter than A7 and EM5.

- I really like all the knobs, dials and buttons. Very cool.

- But the knobs on top left side are a little difficult to manage with my right eye pushed against the OVF, especially the ISO knob.

- I believe most knob functions can be assigned to the control dials or done via menu as well.

- The camera feels cluttered even though I do like all the stuff on it.

- The front control wheel is actually a knob. Interesting retro look, but a wheel/dial would have been easier to use. That's retro going a step too far.

- OVF is very nice. Big and bright.

Performance:

- AF just snaps into focus very quickly. I believe it's the same AF with 39 focus points as the D7000, which was then also used on the D600/610 and D5100/5200. It has all these different AF modes, which I can't even begin to explain.

- I took a few photos with the kit 50/1.8 lens. None of them nailed focus under the fluorescent lighting of the store.

- I took one photo with an old Nikkor 28/2.8 and the AF is a little slower, but nailed the focus.

- IQ on the 28mm photo, which was the only one in focus, showed tons of detail even though it's "only" 16 mp. Auto ISO used 200. Colors were rich and vibrant.

- I was reminded that at close distances for portraits, full frames have shallower DOF. I am assuming that the demo might be out of whack after so many people handled it and thus the out of focus photos with the 50/1.8. The 28/2.8 actually also blurred out the background for head/shoulder portrait range at f2.8 and background behind being only 2-3 feet behind the subject!

Thoughts about the DF after handling it:

- Why only 1/4000 max shutter speed? So not cannibalize D4 sales?

- Why the older AF system instead of the D800 one? Again to protect the D4 and now the D800 too?

- Nikon sacrificed usability such as the front control dial and not including wifi for the sake of "retro." Likewise, even though I'm not a video guy (I just use iPhone), why not include video on a $2800 camera? If someone doesn't want use video or wifi, they are not forced to use it.

- All black really looks much more retro than silver, which is typically the opposite in my opinion.

- Conclusion - it's overpriced for what it offers.

- Second conclusion - I want one!!!

- Why you say? The high ISO qualities of the D4 sensor is still the best, thanks in part because it's "only" 16 mp. The older Nikon primes are all useable on the DF and they are small and light. They won't be resolution kings, but with a 16 mp sensor, I wouldn't need Leica-like stuff. The small and light primes don't add much to the DF's porky size. In fact, the DF + old 50/1.4 is not as long as the A7 + Zeiss 55/1.8. The 85/1.8 is a very good performer, and it's about same length as the Oly 75/1.8.

- Third conclusion - I probably won't get one. I am going to explore and learn the Sony A7 longer, even though I've got mixed feelings about it.

Mine arrives today. I could not help myself. After years with mirrorless I was intrigued to try another shot at FF and an OVF. From what I am hearing I will like the Df. I'll report in for those interested.

Jack, I was in Fort Worth last week, my hometown. Nice weather, but did not make it by any museums this trip. One of these days, when the kids are older and I can sneak away, I plan to re-tour West Texas and visit the hometowns of my ancestors, and of course document them with photographs. Midland, Coleman, San Angelo, Big Spring, others.

I guess 610 has the same sensor as A7, which is cheaper then DF. You can get that if you don't mind the size. I don't know the Nikon af, but my Canon 5D/40D wasn't that accurate w/ fast glass esp in low light... That is one of the reasons I started to use matte mf screens on them...

- Third conclusion - I probably won't get one. I am going to explore and learn the Sony A7 longer, even though I've got mixed feelings about it.

Mine arrives today. I could not help myself. After years with mirrorless I was intrigued to try another shot at FF and an OVF. From what I am hearing I will like the Df. I'll report in for those interested.

Jack, I was in Fort Worth last week, my hometown. Nice weather, but did not make it by any museums this trip. One of these days, when the kids are older and I can sneak away, I plan to re-tour West Texas and visit the hometowns of my ancestors, and of course document them with photographs. Midland, Coleman, San Angelo, Big Spring, others.

Andrew, please do report back. I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on the DF. Did you get black or silver/black? Do you already have Nikon glass lying around, or are you starting from scratch? Let me know how the AF is with the kit 50/1.8 (if you got the kit) and/or other AF lenses.

I guess 610 has the same sensor as A7, which is cheaper then DF. You can get that if you don't mind the size. I don't know the Nikon af, but my Canon 5D/40D wasn't that accurate w/ fast glass esp in low light... That is one of the reasons I started to use matte mf screens on them...

I hate the chunkiness and look of full frame DSLR's, so the 610 (or any others) are just not my cup of tea. The DF's "look," after seeing one in person, is what enamored me to it. Then seeing the D4's awesome high ISO IQ. For whatever reason, the A7's high ISO IQ does not seem to be as good as the RX1.

Andrew, please do report back. I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on the DF. Did you get black or silver/black? Do you already have Nikon glass lying around, or are you starting from scratch? Let me know how the AF is with the kit 50/1.8 (if you got the kit) and/or other AF lenses.

Just the kit lens. I do not intend to purchase any other Nikon lenses. Years ago, when I had a Canon 5D, I use a 50mm lens almost exclusively. But don't hold me to that ;)

Back