Leica The "new-old" M9 is what I hoped.

carlb

All-Pro
After shooting the M240 for a year or so, I've become a huge fan of the camera. Operate the camera as a rangefinder or with modern live-view with EVF. Focus with Leica R glass or any manual lens, no problem.

And yet, for certain kinds of shots, I miss what a CCD sensor can do for the image. Leica's first digital rangefinders (M8, M9) are of course CCD sensor cameras. Lately used M9 examples have dropped down in price to where I could just afford the purchase, so I've done just that.

After shooting my "new-old" M9 over this past week, I can say I'll never sell it. It's a beautiful camera allowing me to create the "CCD look" scenic images that I love. The camera has just the right tools for providing informed control over composition, exposure, focus, and depth of field, without ever needing to look through the lens.

I love it's near-instant turn-on time; I like the fact that it doesn't need a huge battery to do what does. It's shutter response even reminds me of the old winding-motors for film cameras - along with manual controls it makes the experience reminiscent of shooting a film camera. I like that a lot.

Here's a few shot's I've captured so far:

19347043901_f00726ba2e_b.jpg
rice creek south of CR I
by Carl B, on Flickr

19152852489_a038ded393_h.jpg
path to the footbridge
by Carl B, on Flickr

18608988604_d15bd275c7_b.jpg
lakeside path at como
by Carl B, on Flickr

19190245492_5efc237aca_h.jpg
day giving-way
by Carl B, on Flickr

I still love the M9 sensor as well. My M-E is two-months-old, and at the one month mark I noticed some lines and spots in the sensor. Since the camera was so new, Leica gave me a July 7 "appointment" to clean or replace the sensor as required, and the camera has been at Leica NJ since July 2. I am eager to hear from them whether or not my sensor is corroded, but doubt that I would get the new and improved sensor as a replacement.

It doesn't matter if I do or don't as I am delighted with the way the existing sensor renders images and am confident that if replaced with the original type (or hopefully just cleaned) that I will enjoy years of trouble-free use and a free sensor replacement if and when it is ultimately required.

Below is the line on the sensor followed by a few images where the lines and spots aren't too noticeable (wide aperture) from my recent trip to Korea.

Sensor Line

18347158522_9867360fa9_b.jpg
f:16
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Leica M-E with 50mm f/2 Summicron (v5)

18944980639_7f0f0e529d_b.jpg
L1001471.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

18508606214_c44e5b101b_b.jpg
L1001501.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

18943411920_ab8eef104e_b.jpg
L1001485.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Leica M-E with 1963 Zomz 5cm f/1.5 Jupiter 3

18784238539_1e9cb6bfc4_b.jpg
L1001077
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

View attachment 10812L1001062.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

View attachment 10813L1001037.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

18761886118_0b252be57e_b.jpg
L1000971.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Let's see what they do, but it sounds like the new sensor is the same as the old, with a new glass cover.

Great shots from Korea. Wish I could travel there someday.

Let's see what they do, but it sounds like the new sensor is the same as the old, with a new glass cover.

Great shots from Korea. Wish I could travel there someday.

All it takes is a plane ticket. Korea is a wonderful place to travel, and at least according to the owner of the Leica store in Seoul, Leica is extremely popular there. I have doubts though, as I see many Koreans with DSLRs and advanced mirrorless cameras, but the only Leicas I've ever seen there were either on display in that store, or in my possession.

I think the M9 will be a classic, the way it renders differently from the modern CMOS.
Yup, which is why I don't mind so much waiting until late September for my M-E to come back or sending my M Monochrom back to New Jersey after the "splotch" reappeared exactly where it was before Leica cleaned it in December.

Yup, which is why I don't mind so much waiting until late September for my M-E to come back or sending my M Monochrom back to New Jersey after the "splotch" reappeared exactly where it was before Leica cleaned it in December.

Someone told me, back when I had the Monochrom, that certain mechanisms in the camera can throw stuff onto the sensor at times. So I wonder when I read this, if there isn't something lurking in that camera that Leica missed, which could cause the same problem again.

I think that the sensor is corroded from something that was "on" the sensor. They cleaned it, but in the seven months since the corrosion under whatever they cleaned has worsened.

Back