The New Ricoh GR Announced and Available for Pre-Order ($797 at B&H)

I would say you have two options: A shirt with bigger pockets or the GR:D

And, since we're all filthy rich, I say it's the GR that's needed here. ;)

Meanwhile, I just got an e-mail from B&H... my separate purchase of the Ricoh-branded external battery charger and extra Ricoh-branded battery have been shipped. I consider both accessories must-haves. I guess I'm semi-committed. It would be nice if the actual GR arrived in time for our PA-NJ meet-up but I'm not holding my breath. Estimated availability is May 15.

Using camerasize's little chart thingy, I just compared the sized of the Ricoh to the RX100 and a GF5 without a lens. It's amazing how small this thing is. It practically is the same size as a GF5 without a lens. And compared to the RX100, although it's a bit lengthier, the overall dimensions are thinner. (Deeper pockets should do the trick.) Pretty impressive. I'll wait for this camera to seep through the market a bit before jumping on it, but I'm impressed with what I see. I don't care who develops it, but it'll be nice to see something similar but with a 35-40mm lens.

I'm looking at a number of GXR28 photos I've taken recently, all under conditions that I would use the GR, and I'm very excited. If the GR produces images with the same kind of look at the GXR aps-c modules, I will be over the moon. GXR images have a very rich, three dimensional look, and the thought of finally having that image quality in a GRD size body is thrilling.

Ming Thein makes an interesting comment about the Nikon A. He says that the 'technical quality' of the Nikon A images is better than the M9 with Zeiss 28mm Biogon, and at least as good as the M9 with 28mm Elmarit. Now as an owner of those lenses and camera, I'll say this is a very high quality level to beat. And as the GR image quality looks very close, if not exactly the same, I will definitely run some comparison shooting when the GR gets here.

I like 28mm FOV as much as 35mm FOV. X100S needs a 28mm wide adapter to achieve that, and I'm glad to hear about Ricoh GR's "10MP 35mm equivalent crop mode" feature.

Would its LCD display the cropped FOV on its full screen? Would it produce cropped RAW/JPEG?

I'm looking at a number of GXR28 photos I've taken recently, all under conditions that I would use the GR, and I'm very excited. If the GR produces images with the same kind of look at the GXR aps-c modules, I will be over the moon. GXR images have a very rich, three dimensional look, and the thought of finally having that image quality in a GRD size body is thrilling.

:D

Ming Thein makes an interesting comment about the Nikon A. He says that the 'technical quality' of the Nikon A images is better than the M9 with Zeiss 28mm Biogon, and at least as good as the M9 with 28mm Elmarit. Now as an owner of those lenses and camera, I'll say this is a very high quality level to beat. And as the GR image quality looks very close, if not exactly the same, I will definitely run some comparison shooting when the GR gets here.

That is where the single focal length cameras have the advantage nowadays, and I don't mind carrying a couple of them around. I just wish there were more than one GR focal length. It's nice to have the 21mm adapter, but I'd like to see a 40-50mm GR too.

Going off on a slight tangent, but I think the Biogon's "technical quality" is better than the Elmarit. Which actually raises my expectations of the Nikon A (and GR too).

Going off on a slight tangent, but I think the Biogon's "technical quality" is better than the Elmarit. Which actually raises my expectations of the Nikon A (and GR too).

Hmm, my impressions are the opposite. I tried an 28mm Elmarit ASPH and a Biogon 28mm on an M8 some years ago and my take was that the Elmarit ASPH had more even sharpness across the field while the Biogon was bitingly sharp in the center but not as sharp at the edges. I've since then sold both.

I did buy another Biogon (don't ask why :)) for the M9 and it seems to have the same weak edges. Not sure if that is due to field curvature or something else. Either way the Nikon A I rented is significantly better than my M9/Biogon combo at the edges. Not sure what Nikon did with this lens, but it has very even sharpness across the frame and little fall-off or CA. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Ricoh can match this performance.

-Thomas

If it follows what has been done on all the previous iterations of the GRD then yes.
I like 28mm FOV as much as 35mm FOV. X100S needs a 28mm wide adapter to achieve that, and I'm glad to hear about Ricoh GR's "10MP 35mm equivalent crop mode" feature.

Would its LCD display the cropped FOV on its full screen? Would it produce cropped RAW/JPEG?

Seems an excellent "photographic tool", and as I've never used my RX100 for anything beyond 50mm, I'll wait to see the price and availability here in my crisis-hit country...

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

ANOTHER camera that comes without a charger!?!? I HATE this trend! Almost makes me want to choose the Nikon over the Ricoh just to discourage this crap and reward those who still know how people with more than one battery actually use these products. For the price difference, of course I'll just buy a cheap charger, but jeez. JEEEEEEZ!!!

-Ray

Hi Ray - I hate this trend as well. It is kind of like airlines charging extra for a checked bag, legroom, etc. On the plus side though, I have the GRDIV (which came with a charger) and since the batteries for the GR and the GRD 3&4 are the same, I can use the same charger (and batteries). As an aside, I also intend to keep the GRD4 as a back-up camera to the GR. It is different enough that is makes (in my mind anyway) a great compliment to the GR.

Best,

Paul

Hi Ray - I hate this trend as well. It is kind of like airlines charging extra for a checked bag, legroom, etc. On the plus side though, I have the GRDIV (which came with a charger) and since the batteries for the GR and the GRD 3&4 are the same, I can use the same charger (and batteries). As an aside, I also intend to keep the GRD4 as a back-up camera to the GR. It is different enough that is makes (in my mind anyway) a great compliment to the GR.

Best,

Paul
Yeah, I had a GRD3 too, but sold it to buy another GXR-28 - great camera but those batteries only work with the X100 and X100s. You wouldn't be interested in a really great deal on a very familiar looking GXR, would you.... :D

I'm not actually sure I'm gonna buy the GR - I might very well end up with the Nikon "A", in which case ill be glad to hang onto the GXR just to have some of that Ricoh mojo in the house.

-Ray

Hi Ray - I hate this trend as well. It is kind of like airlines charging extra for a checked bag, legroom, etc. On the plus side though, I have the GRDIV (which came with a charger) and since the batteries for the GR and the GRD 3&4 are the same, I can use the same charger (and batteries).

At first, I did not appreciate this either, but I'm coming round to it. Less stuff, and if you really need it you can get it. In the case of chargers (and batteries) I would like to see the manufacturers focus on two things:
* Chargers without cords
* Standardize on a few common battery sizes so that batteries are more portable across cameras

IOW if all of my cameras used the same battery, and the chargers were optional, I could have several cameras, but only one charger.

Charging in camera is most inconvenient when charging backup batteries, but for me anyway it seems I am less and less using backup batteries as my current batteries seem to last longer and longer (except for the Sigma DPM cameras, which seem to drain batteries even when they are not in the camera!).

Back