The New Ricoh GR Announced and Available for Pre-Order ($797 at B&H)

And I was unable to get a sharp image out of this camera even in good sunlight on a tripod. Even in Auto. No differentiation between camera processed jpg or the raw files. Assuming with all the other reviews on it and images shared I must have a mistuned or defective one. Such is my luck a month before vacation. Have contacted seller via amazon and hope they are compassionate. If they say send it to Ricoh [haven't even registered it yet] then I won't have funds for anything else. Crossing my fingers and toes here though I have no alternative that I was even considering. :sad010:

And I was unable to get a sharp image out of this camera even in good sunlight on a tripod. Even in Auto. No differentiation between camera processed jpg or the raw files. Assuming with all the other reviews on it and images shared I must have a mistuned or defective one. Such is my luck a month before vacation. Have contacted seller via amazon and hope they are compassionate. If they say send it to Ricoh [haven't even registered it yet] then I won't have funds for anything else. Crossing my fingers and toes here though I have no alternative that I was even considering. :sad010:

That really is a drag. The Nikon A loaner I have has a noticeably de-centered lens - soft upper left corner at pretty much any aperture. So if I end up getting the Nikon I'm gonna send this one back and just buy one off of the site. But that camera's in plentiful supply - the GR appears to be really hard to get once the first round of pre-sales went out. The Ricoh's lens really is amazingly sharp in the corners even at f2.8 - I don't know how they do that in such a small camera with such a small lens. Very impressive. The difference between the two means nothing to me, but just as an engineering feat, the Ricoh is really impressive this way.

Kristin, do you have ANY other camera to take on your trip if you can't resolve the GR in time? I have an LX7 you could borrow or, for that matter, a GXR-28. Which is functionally almost identical to the GR, just not quite as good in low light and not as small to carry. Oh, and slower AF, but the same old great snap focus. Its a great camera that's remarkably close to the GR but for those two differences. Let me know if you end up high and dry...

-Ray

Yeah my images were soft all around. It was an even softness even at f8 through 16. No matter what I did I HAD to sharpen in pp and while I could accept that I might need to on the raw files, the in-camera processing to jpg should have been sharp and even it didn't correct the issue. I do have a Rebel XSi Ray, I was hoping for a wide angle pocketable camera for in doors but as luck [mostly bad today] has it, my cellphone died tonight too and I HAD to get one of those so I have the Galaxy 4 and a whittled down [Unlimited to 2gb data] contract. In no way will this sharp little 13mp camera replace a GR but I do have something.. as well as the clunky G12 that kinda let me down a year ago. Fwiw, I did like the camera and its options but never really got to play since most of my time was spent trying to get a clear image. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I have problems, I appreciate your kindness.

Kristin, do you have ANY other camera to take on your trip if you can't resolve the GR in time? I have an LX7 you could borrow or, for that matter, a GXR-28. Which is functionally almost identical to the GR, just not quite as good in low light and not as small to carry. Oh, and slower AF, but the same old great snap focus. Its a great camera that's remarkably close to the GR but for those two differences. Let me know if you end up high and dry...

-Ray

Wolfe's Camera in KS had one via Amazon today. Uhm - Not no more :D Thanks again Ray. Need to cross my fingers this one works properly.

Kristen, hope you can get a replacement soon.

I saw someone posting a link to a very nice review for those who can read Chinese:

APS-Cæ￾*載‧RICOH GR 全新的開始 - Mobile01 本站新è￾ž

Interesting to see that the old CCD sensor has move vibrant color out of the box than the new CMOS. Kinda like some prefer the color of M9 vs M240?

Ordered one that is in stock just today.. so should get it next week. Thanks!

Unfortunately I didn't have a sale link to share. There doesn't seem to be any discounts though my first with the amazon rewards was only 777$. I ended up paying 30$ more than cost for the second [free shipping so a wash] but I would like mine for vacation and was, I feel, lucky to even see one available. For those who greatly desire or need the camera, a little more wasn't so bad [they are sold out now] but for those that are okay with waiting through pre-order lists.. then do so and don't pay more.

Adorama as of today: "Please Note! This Item is on the way to our warehouse and is expected in a few days."

Back