Sony The NEX Image thread

It didn't come today Andy.... but between you and I, (no one else can read this....) it's the Magic SLR Lens.... $39.95 shipped...new with adapter....
I got it for my Garden stuff. The center stays kinda sharp and the outsides will fall apart fast.... should make some interesting images....
don

It didn't come today Andy.... but between you and I, (no one else can read this....) it's the Magic SLR Lens.... $39.95 shipped...new with adapter....
I got it for my Garden stuff. The center stays kinda sharp and the outsides will fall apart fast.... should make some interesting images....
don

Those lenses can make awesome movies especially at night!!

A few more with the 16mm

Spent the morning in Philly yesterday with the Nex and used the 16 pretty much exclusively (I think I stuck the kit on for a couple of minutes, but that didn't last). These are 16 and the one in the middle I'm pretty sure also has the wide angle attachment on it...

-Ray

View attachment 34402

View attachment 34403

View attachment 34404

Ray, you know I spied these three on Flickr earlier this morning. You've got a series here with these swooping stairways and I like each one very much. This last one and your first are the two that hit home with me the most. Something about the glow in the first, the placement, the details on the stonwork...the radiating lines and the highlights...well, it all worked out so well. And for me your last one has such a sense of this man's "mission" and the angle you shot from adds to the energy I feel - coat tails flapping this fellow is in a hurry and I get the feeling some lives are going to change after things happen inside this building.

As I mentioned to you before - whatever you're doing with your pping - keep it up!

P.S. Gotta love that 16mm on this camera!

Ray, thanks for adding more photos to this thread. I really enjoy following your work on flickr, no matter which camera is in your hands.

I'm wondering if I'm drawn to your NEX pictures because of the quality of the camera/lens or because the quality of your post processing work. What software are you using for your black and white work? The enthusiasm on this thread for the NEX and the Fuji is quite infectious and I'm currently looking for a cure (compliments of my husband's wallet for my birthday in May) but maybe its software that is the answer for me rather than the camera?

Can someone post a black and white picture straight from the NEX and 16mm lens that hasn't had post processing work so that I can get a better idea of what to expect from the NEX.

Many thanks, in advance.

Cheers, Briar PS Would love to see more photos in this thread. PPS Just re-read my post, it goes without saying that its your talent for spotting the picture too that makes your pictures! Phew, glad I got that in!

I'm fairly new to the NEX system but let me chime in. I've grown to love it for the B&W conversions. It may be the dynamic range, I don't know, but they're great. I use primarily RAW Developer for NEX B&W conversion, but I also use PSD and Silver Efex Pro 2 for some B&W conversion (when I want to add more texture). PP the NEX file will always give a better image. I shoot RAW only, just by habit.

FWIW I get better color from the NEX RAW files from PSD instead of RAW Developer.

Ray, thanks for adding more photos to this thread. I really enjoy following your work on flickr, no matter which camera is in your hands.

I'm wondering if I'm drawn to your NEX pictures because of the quality of the camera/lens or because the quality of your post processing work. What software are you using for your black and white work?
Briar, thanks so much. I do post process all of them, some more than others, but all get a run through Silver Efex Pro, now the new version. I go through a funny process - when I'm shooting I'm quite sure I'm seeing brilliant images in the LCD or viewfinder. Then I get home and upload them all and, in their unprocessed state, I generally look through them all and feel like I have nothing but huge gobs of trash and wonder what happened to all of those wonderful images I saw while shooting. But then I'll usually spot two or three that don't look like a total waste of time and I'll run those through PP and see what catches my fancy, and they usually come back to something closer to what I was envisioning in the field. And that leads me to try a few more and a few more and I usually end up with a handful or two that I like well enough to keep and maybe, if I'm lucky, one or two I'll still like six months later....maybe...

It happens like that EVERY time, so I've learned to trust it and not take the euphoria in the field or despair at first viewing too seriously - most of them are in fact quite terrible but there are always a few decent ones in there if I just go and find them...

Oh, and I like the Nex files a lot for B&W, but I like the GF1 and LX5 files a lot too, as long as I was shooting in adequate light for each camera/sensor. I don't think my photographs look much different from camera to camera, although I enjoy the process of shooting with the Nex and its flip up screen so much that it encourages me to keep going maybe more than the others. I really feel like I disappear into the landscape with that camera in a way I never have with any other camera.

-Ray

Thanks guys. I only have photoshop elements which does a decent enough job with black and white images but it doesn't wow me when I compare it to the results your guys are getting with silver effex pro. I think silver effex works with elements so I'm trying to download the 15 day trial now to try it out ... keeps timing out though! This software might tame my want for another camera but my husband isn't convinced.

:thiagree:

Ray, I go through that "funny process" too. I suspect we are not alone. Curious though, what is it about the NEX that makes you feel inconspicuous?

Cheers, Briar

You've got a series here with these swooping stairways and I like each one very much. This last one and your first are the two that hit home with me the most. Something about the glow in the first, the placement, the details on the stonwork...the radiating lines and the highlights...well, it all worked out so well. And for me your last one has such a sense of this man's "mission" and the angle you shot from adds to the energy I feel - coat tails flapping this fellow is in a hurry and I get the feeling some lives are going to change after things happen inside this building.

As I mentioned to you before - whatever you're doing with your pping - keep it up!

P.S. Gotta love that 16mm on this camera!

Once more BB sums it up perfectly! Ray, how do you like the fisheye in general? I just got the 16mm this week.

Briar - its all about the flip up screen and the way I can sort of stand in a corner or against a wall or railing and just look down at my hands. If any one gave it half a look they'd know I was pointing a camera in their general direction, and some people seem to see it, but most either don't see it or don't care. There's something about holding a camera up to your eye (or even in front of your face) that makes your intentions abundantly clear and at least alerts them and may put them on the defensive. When you're holding it down by your waist or belly, even if people notice it they may think you're just adjusting something or waiting for a more interesting scene to raise it to take a picture. Its a way of being totally open and unflinching about what you're doing without bothering people. I can't really explain it, but I just feel freer and less encumbered to shoot around people with that camera.

Janis, I don't have the fisheye. There are two attachments, one a fisheye and one a more standard ultra-wide angle. Both fit on the front of the 16 with a very quick and easy little bayonet mount. The fisheye gives you that heavily distorted, rounded fisheye look. The ultra wide angle gives you the same effective look as using the 9mm end of the Olympus 9-18 m43 lens, or about an 18mm equivalent in full frame. So the photos look very wide and some distortion is there, but with a fisheye, distortion is the POINT! With this, its not. Walking around with the Nex and the 16 with the UWA in my pocket to stick on occasionally is a great way to shoot with the Nex for a guy who tends toward wide angle anyway (which I do).

-Ray

Here's 1 from the 35mm 1.7 CCTV lens. Not bad considering the cost factor. I'm gonna do a series with it and see where it takes me....

I did very little PP with this just so youse can see what the lens can do....

Back