Sony The NEX Image thread

Here's one with Canon FD 55 f/1.2 ssc.

5694345464_64103d5fd4_z.jpg

BBW, I think you're correct. Thanks for the correction. Now I learn something new. They look so similar though.

Pennyann, lovely shot!

Life of Riley that dog. He had 6 homes before I took him on, he was about 9 months old then. He had a stupid dogs name too, thought he was a boxer and had almost no boundaries. He is now 3 and goes everywhere with me. He is a great dog, very loving and gentle, fantastic with kids - he actively seeks out wee boys to play with. He's learned an awful lot and is very biddable. He's coming on leaps and bounds! This photo is him lying on my bed in the morning, knowing he's not supposed to be there, that's what the sideways look is for.
I have an idea of a picture I want to take of him, it might take a bit of effort to work it out though! But obsession is no fun if you already have all the answers....

Here's a couple of shots from our trip to Seattle visiting friends for the weekend.

Seattle Asian Art Museum
NEX 5 with Voigtländer 21mm f4
_DSC1165.jpg

Ruby's Diner, Redmond, WA
NEX 5 with Voigtländer 75mm f1.8
_DSC1267.jpg

Cheers,

Simon, both are simply gorgeous when I am able to click on them and see them in their full glory. What a super view of that museum - wow!!! And I also really like the retro counter stools - wonderful depth of intense color in both. Bravo!!

Simon, how do you like Topaz with the Nex files?
I've been using Nik but Topaz offers a few nice things Nik doesn't.
Could you explain about the Topaz Detail that you used above...
Thank you Kind Sir...
Don

Don,

I currently use Topaz Adjust, Topaz Detail, Topaz DeNoise and Topaz Simplify, Nik Viveza and Silver Efex Pro. Each plug-in has its own uses and specialities. For me, I especially like Topaz Adjust to bring out contrast and enhance detail and colour, and I use that when I want to make an image really pop. Much of what people assume is HDR processing in my images is done strictly with Topaz Adjust (I never shoot HDR).

Topaz Detail is newer to me and I find its the best sharpening plug-in I've used to date. Part of the appeal is that it sharpens (naturally!), but also allows for colour and contrast enhancement as well. Many of the images I would have used Topaz Adjust on before now get processed in Detail. This is because although Adjust does sharpening, it can lead to halos, whereas Detail can give me very similar colour and contrast effects as Adjust, but sharpens without the halos.

Obviously with NEX files, I don't use Topaz DeNoise much at all, but it does very well for my higher ISO m43 images. Topaz Simplify is more fun than serious, but sometimes it will yield some interesting and very usable results.

Many of my B&W images have been processed in Topaz Detail first, to sharpen obviously, but also to increase the contrast and in some cases bring out the colour, so that when I then go into Silver EFex Pro (SEP), I've got a larger tonal palette to then convert to B&W. I'll then typically use the control points in SEP to selectively burn/dodge for the final image.

One thing I like with the Topaz products (and SEP) is the presets, or rather that one can create your own presets. This makes it very simple to apply different "looks" to an image to quickly judge what might look best.

Hope this helps, but if you have specific questions, ask away.

Cheers,

Simon, thank you for your explanations regarding your photographs and Topaz, as well as NIK's SEP. I don't know Topaz and am still a newbie at digital photography, really...but have used Color Efex before bringing into Silver Efex...for what I think are some of the same reasons. So much to learn!

Back