Sony The NEX system

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way! Sony NEX RAW's are wonderful, the JPEG's are not (as wonderful.) I mean they're obviously not horrible, but with such good sensor performance why hinder the images with such NR? The great thing about the Oly M 4/3 is that NR is widely adjustable by the user (I find low to be perfect for me.)

The Sony lens lineup also does not happen to line up with my personal needs. The 16mm pancake is close but not quite there, the new Zeiss will be way beyond my budget. I'll probably end up with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 for my E-P1 down the road (and aided by IBIS.) The Oly sensor is totally outclassed by the Sony NEX sensor, but the M 4/3 wins for me in other areas. Why can't someone design an entire system around my exact needs? ;)

Interfaces always is a subjective thing. Now as I am a jpeg shooter, the iq has two sides. Raw level sony wins. I still prefer oly jpegs. If sony can get rid of the destructive nr, then the system for me becomes more palatteable.

In terms of taking off, mft is doing great in asia. The reason its not here is because of bad marketing and distribution. Casual buyers will buy sony as a name over a better product.

Since I've looked before and not found a concise summary of the differences: what IS the difference between a NEX3 and a NEX5 aside from the fact I can get the former in pink but not the latter?

They could, but they'd only sell one of them! :D

-Ray

LOL, Yup!

Here's the thing. If you ask a group of photogragphers what they want in a traditional dSLR camera, I think the responses would be really close. Now, if the same question was asked of mirrorless cameras, I think we'd find the responses all over the map. Mirrorless has a lot of potential, and because of the potential and the internet, the mirrorless market has the ability to be a product or system really driven by a wide range of consumers.

biggest differences

Since I've looked before and not found a concise summary of the differences: what IS the difference between a NEX3 and a NEX5 aside from the fact I can get the former in pink but not the latter?

Really the big difference is in video recording. You get a slightly higher resolution.

The shape of the casing is slightly different as well. I much prefer the way the 3 feels in my hand, but that is a personal thing.

Aha, yes, a NEX-3 would suffice as an intermediate body. I'm mostly interested in the different crop factor from my M8 (1.33) and GF1 (2) for my Leica lenses.

Thanks. The magnesium body seems to be the only extra thing about the 5 that I might appreciate. I'm intrigued enough to want to try out a NEX at one point but not desperate to get my hands on one at all costs.

NEX5 video is AVCHD (1080/60fps) or MJPG. NEX3 is MJPG (720, 30fps) only (those are NTSC. Not sure on PAL).

Only other major changes are the body. LCD is the same. Sensor is the same. etc.

Well, I promised myself that I would sell my Sigma DP cameras in trade. Though I love them they've gone unused for a time and I'm finally willing to let them go. The NEX 3, should it work out, will be my compact family camera and perhaps to be used with my Zeiss.

Back