Sony The NEX system

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
I'm a real neophyte when it comes to the NEX, but this comment of Ray's on another thread got me thinking about things NEX.

I don't want to talk you out of a Nex too, if you can afford it. Its a great camera. It's just not a 'system' camera yet and will probably never be as good a system as m43 just based on lens size...

So what do people think about the future of the NEX as a system? The drums along the camera "Mohawk", so to speak, have led me to believe that Sony has some serious plans for the NEX as a camera system. What do you think? Do you care? Is it the smaller size of the current NEX that limits it in regard to really large, long lenses - or will technology sweep all that aside?

I think the Nex is here to stay. Unfortunately, it will probably outlive the m4/3 format.
It's all happening with Sony. They have the resources to develop Nex into the future. Eventually, other makers will come to add lenses etc. The short term future promises some interesting things from Sony as well as Zeiss etc.
Then, Nex will take off like a rocket.

I don't doubt that Nex will release a bunch of lenses and some of them will be really good. But the physics of the situation is such that long lenses on a Nex are gonna have to be a good deal bigger than similarly large lenses on an m43 and I already don't like the larger m43 lenses on the smaller m43 cameras (which is part of what I like about the gh2 as one of my bodies). I shot with an 18-200 e-mount lens in a Sony store and its a nice lens, but its just a bizzarre mismatch on that little body. And dedicated telephotos will have the same problems, particularly any that try to go out to 300 or 400mm, which is what you'd need to match the Panasonic 100-300.

As I've noted, I could see having a split system someday, with the Nex covering everything from wide angle up through the kit zoom length and m43 covering the middle range up through the longer lenses (with a bit of overlap in the middle). But I like simplicity and if one of the m43 makers comes out with my dream combination of gh2 AF, a screen as good as the Nex, and a small body, I could see selling off my Nex. The difference in IQ from the larger sensor doesn't mean much to me now and will mean less as sensors continue to improve.

The thing I love about the Nex is the way I can shoot with it, which is all down to that flip up screen. And contrary to previous rumor, the controls are just fine, not the nightmare I'd read about. But I wouldn't say they're better than Pany controls, just more than good enough. If an m43 cam can achieve that same thing and I can use my existing lenses on it, I'm a happy guy.

Then again, if I fall in love with an X-100 viewfinder, who knows? I'm just learning all over again how I like to shoot with all of these newfangled tools. So I'm open to all possibilities. And, of course, if you don't like long lenses to begin with, then the size of the Nex telephotos won't bother you at all! :cool:

-Ray

If Sony released a larger NEX body with EVF (attached or not) and Zeiss produced lenses for it then things could get interesting for me. As it stands the camera is in fact too small for my preferences and the lenses are mediocre at best. I tried the NEX 5 with both lenses and simply did not jive with them.

The NEX seems to have arrived and then stalled. The NEX 3 has even been dropped. I'm not sure who the intended audience is for the NEX - the consumer P&S crowd or more serious shooters. It's too big for the P&S crowd and too underdeveloped for the serious crowd (albeit with a good sensor).

Where art thou NEX going?

I dunno Andrew. I think there's a serious crowd ground swell happening.

I can certainly understand that the NEX like any other camera isn't going to meet everyone's needs.

I'm going to go see if I can find Sony's NEX roadmap.

OK, I'm back with this originally via 1001 Noisy Cameras: Sony NEX Lens road map from there one is able to access a Google translated Sony press release: Google Translate For anyone here who is fluent in Japanese, I would welcome your summary.

Thanks BB. It is encouraging to see the Zeiss logo, though I'd like to see more of them! I wonder if the 24mm is 35mm equivalent or cropped? 24mm would be great, but I would also like to see 21, 28/35 and 50, maybe even an 85. Zeiss makes all of those in m-mount (and more) and someday I'd like to seem them make those in other native mounts.

I like my NEX. A lot. For casual shooting. I tried the 18-200. The larger sensor makes the longer lenses unwieldy. I would think a second or third gen a33/a55 would be the ticket to supplement with a NEX (so, you have an a55 and a NEX). The a- mount lenses, though, need to work better on the e-mount bodies.

That being said, if Sony releases some better quality lenses, including a portrait and a macro, they could really hamper m43 growth among enthusiasts. Oly seems to be standing sill (while my EP1 gently weeps). I've got both systems (NEX and m43/Pen), because neither one is complete. I just hope one of the them gets serious! I would love if it were Oly, as I like their styling better, but it looks like they are lost in the headlights.

Still holding out for a mirrorless full frame though. I'm such a dreamer!

If the new lenses that are coming are better than the kit lenses then this camera will be pretty awesome. The sensor is as i have said many times before a real Jem that needs decent glass to make it shine. Just put a decent manual focus lens on the front and see feel and smell the difference mmmmmmmmmmmm :D

I've got both systems (NEX and m43/Pen), because neither one is complete. I just hope one of the them gets serious! I would love if it were Oly, as I like their styling better, but it looks like they are lost in the headlights.
I think m43 is getting pretty close to complete if you're willing to mix brands... You've got everything from little tiny consumer cameras (the gf2) to almost DSLR full featured cameras (gh2) and several gradations in between. In terms of lenses, you have better than adequate glass from a full frame equivalent of 14 - 600mm! And some specialty lenses, like the 45mm macro that sort of doubles as a portrait lens. And on an m43 camera body, any one of about a zillion old 50mm 1.4 - 1.8 manual lenses are just butt kicking portrait lenses (they're nice on a Nex too, but not quite long enough for my taste). I'm sure they'll fill in the gaps with some higher quality and higher priced glass, but for anyone other than the most discerning photographer, there's an awful lot to choose from there. The only deficit is sensor quality, but its already very good and its only gonna get better. Yeah, a larger sensor will always be a bit better, but we're already at the point where it only matters at the real fringes of shooting conditions and I don't think it'll be too long before you're gonna have to look REALLY hard to see the differences.

To me its always been about how you get the shot, not how the shot holds up to the highest degree of pixel peeping scrutiny. I have a Nex because it allows me to get the shot in a manner that's very comfortable to me and nearly unique among small cameras today. If m43 can match THAT part of it, I'll be happy to go with them. Actually, if some future version of the LX-5 adds a screen like the Nex, I'd be happy with the m43/lx5 system I had before the Nex stole a sliver of my heart.

There's just a lot of really fine stuff out there these days to choose from. its nice!

-Ray

BB,

I posted this in an earlier discussion in another thread regarding the NEX.

Sony looks to change the world of DSLRs: Digital Photography Review

I think that Sony is most likely going to do what they said in the interview and will continue to develop the line. They have figured out how to get the APS-C sensor into a diminutive body and now the only thing holding them back is the development of affordable quality lenses. I miss mine and will most likely get another one at some point (maybe sooner than later). Whether the Sony system gets entrenched for the long term will not only depend on what they themselves do, but will also depend on what the other players in the arena come out with in furtherance of their product lines.

Anyway you look at it, the NEX has been a success for Sony. BTW, the only reason they stopped making the NEX 3 is that they found that most buyers were choosing the NEX 5 and sales of the NEX 3 were stagnant. The NEX 5 sales continue to grow. Some have speculated that means they NEX 5 type line will be targeting those moving up from P&S and the promised new model will target the more advanced users or those with DSLR systems looking for a smaller supplemental or replacement system.

You can only make educated guesses sometime about where it will all end up, but in any event, it won't happen overnight. In that light, I think you need to look at what is here now, what is about to be released, and make a decision about what best suits your own very personal and subjective needs in a device and not necessarily what makes someone else happy.

Thank you, John - both for the link (again) and for your take on things. I couldn't agree with you more where you wrote
In that light, I think you need to look at what is here now, what is about to be released, and make a decision about what best suits your own very personal and subjective needs in a device and not necessarily what makes someone else happy.
:bravo-009:

Some perspective on lenses. Panasonic introduced their first M43 camera in September 2008; Sony introduced the NEX cameras in May 2010. By the end of 2011 Sony will have seven lenses available for NEX; in a comparable period (i.e. 19 months from introduction) Panasonic had seven lenses available. Olympus in the 19 months following their first M43 camera released four lenses. I'm not trying to start an argument about which system is better. I'm simply pointing out that there is no evidence that Sony is treading water or going nowhere with NEX.

Regarding the kit lenses, your claim Andrew that they are 'mediocre at best' is simply untrue. There are plenty of reviews and plenty of images on this site and on many others that refute this. The kit lenses are exactly what you would expect from kit lenses - nothing more, nothing less.

If Sony handles things correctly, I think their sensor and mount specifications will serve them very well in the long term. It was wise to pick such a short registration distance. In the short term, that makes it harder to produce lenses with good corner performance, but as sensor technology improves to better handle off-axis light, it will pay off.

On the other hand, Sony as a consumer electronics company has been mediocre in so many ways; it's hard for me to have a great deal of faith in their vision. Whether music players, e-book readers, video games, or TVs, Sony seems happy just to be in the mix competing.

I think the Nex is here to stay. Unfortunately, it will probably outlive the m4/3 format.
It's all happening with Sony. They have the resources to develop Nex into the future. Eventually, other makers will come to add lenses etc. The short term future promises some interesting things from Sony as well as Zeiss etc.
Then, Nex will take off like a rocket.

Thats a pretty bold statement as far is it outliving mFT. I sure hope not. I could see it outliving Olympus, but Panasonic( Matsushita ) is a very large company. I hope they both stay and stay for a long time. The biggest gripe I think most have with NEX is their UI. If they come out with a NEX with dedicated dials and buttons, I could see them doing even better.

If Sony handles things correctly, I think their sensor and mount specifications will serve them very well in the long term. It was wise to pick such a short registration distance. In the short term, that makes it harder to produce lenses with good corner performance, but as sensor technology improves to better handle off-axis light, it will pay off.

On the other hand, Sony as a consumer electronics company has been mediocre in so many ways; it's hard for me to have a great deal of faith in their vision. Whether music players, e-book readers, video games, or TVs, Sony seems happy just to be in the mix competing.

The last sentence pretty much sums it up for me for sony the last 5 or 8 years. Sony *was* really a good name brand of electronics. In some ways it still is, but usually when looking at features to price and value, they typically don't hold up as well when compared against the competition. In some markets, they seem to demand a higher price for their product and yet it doesn't even compare as well. For various types of electronics, I had a chance to compare sony's offerings, and I always found them lacking in some way shape or form. I picked Sanddisk(Sansa) over Sony for a music player. I picked Yamaha over sony for an AV reciever. I picked Panasonic over Sony for a DVD recorder.

I am giving Sony system the benefit of the doubt for their innovation in face of the Canon/Nikon duopoly. They do seem to be shaking things up by bringing previous high-end features down to enthusiast prices (high-frame shooting, new EVIL system, in-body image stabilization, large mp sensor, etc.).

In the near term, say 3 to 5 years, I believe they will be the key innovator as they have the marketing funds to take the fight to the duopoly.

After 3 to 5 years, I'm pretty sure Apple will come out with an iCamera that nails the user wants and kills all the other competitors within a year :D

DJ, The Nex 5 has a very good UI. It's a very intuitive camera.
It is very fast to use. The new model that will be released at some point, promises to even improve on an already good camera. CV, Zeiss etc will release lenses soon and then the Nex format will fly.
I love the GF1 but felt that my IQ has improved even with the kit lens and the 16 on the Nex.
That is an argument that is not an argument.
I'd love to see m4/3 really take off but I don't see any sign that it will.
Don

Summer, I think you mean that Apple will come out with an iCamera that nails what Apple tells the user the user wants;)

Back