Nikon The Nikon 1 gets continuous AF with FT-1 adapter!

Jonathan F/2

All-Pro
Name
Jonathan
Nikon Support

I'm kind of glad I switched to the V1 when I did, this is pretty big in my opinion. This would make the Nikon 1 the first mirrorless system to do proper continuous AF using adapted SLR lenses without the aid of any sort of mirror! With V1 bodies selling for cheap right now, this might be a good reason to try out the system. :)

Nikon Support

I'm kind of glad I switched to the V1 when I did, this is pretty big in my opinion. This would make the Nikon 1 the first mirrorless system to do proper continuous AF using adapted SLR lenses without the aid of any sort of mirror! With V1 bodies selling for cheap right now, this might be a good reason to try out the system. :)

I know you guys like the idea and there's nothing "wrong" with it as such -- but why would you buy a little tiny camera with lower resolution than a DSLR, and then put relatively huge lenses on it and lose the advantage of the size? That's the part I don't get unless it's the economics if you already have Nikon AF-S lenses -- and that's the only lenses guaranteed to work on the new unit.

Now, birders and what not -- I can see that big 2.8X crop factor multiplying their telephoto into the stratosphere -- that makes sense. But putting a huge lens on a tiny body just isn't (here come's the Vulcan in me) logical, lol.

Agree with you John that the FT-1 is for the birds(ers):

8774601676_5ca95d5834_c.jpg

egret2 by cbmn, on Flickr

Hand-held, auto-focus, equivalent field of view to a 135 sensor with a 730mm zoom. Got that with a Tamron 18-270mm compact zoom :)

One thing - the V1 has much better image quality than its 1" sensor would have you think at first. Contrast, sharpness, color. Camera performance rocks well too (images per charge, general speed, etc). So, put some ultra-sharp adapted Nikons lenses on there. Although they're ugly as adapted, if you got 'em, shoot 'em - the V1 does them proud.

Note - if the multiple-point auto-focus is in the firmware change, I may forego it. For long-telephoto, I prefer the "put the center dot on what you want to shoot" approach.

Hand-held, auto-focus, equivalent field of view to a 135 sensor with a 730mm zoom. Got that with a Tamron 18-270mm compact zoom :)

One thing - the V1 has much better image quality than its 1" sensor would have you think at first. Contrast, sharpness, color. Camera performance rocks well too (images per charge, general speed, etc). So, put some ultra-sharp adapted Nikons lenses on there. Although they're ugly as adapted, if you got 'em, shoot 'em - the V1 does them proud.

Note - if the multiple-point auto-focus is a firmware change, I may forego it. For long-telephoto, I prefer the "put the center dot on what you want to shoot" approach.

Beautiful image!

Read this before you do the upgrade as Thom Hogan highlights some things you need to be aware of: Nikon Silently Updates FT-1 Firmware | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Note - if the multiple-point auto-focus is in the firmware change, I may forego it. For long-telephoto, I prefer the "put the center dot on what you want to shoot" approach.

This would be beautiful as a sepia.

Gary

I know you guys like the idea and there's nothing "wrong" with it as such -- but why would you buy a little tiny camera with lower resolution than a DSLR, and then put relatively huge lenses on it and lose the advantage of the size? That's the part I don't get unless it's the economics if you already have Nikon AF-S lenses -- and that's the only lenses guaranteed to work on the new unit.

Now, birders and what not -- I can see that big 2.8X crop factor multiplying their telephoto into the stratosphere -- that makes sense. But putting a huge lens on a tiny body just isn't (here come's the Vulcan in me) logical, lol.

The 1" sensor is actually pretty darn good. The size-to-FOV performance is great if you shoot in the telephoto range. An 85mm 1.8 becomes a 230mm FOV lens with a 1.8 aperture and is a much more compact size than an SLR lens at the equivalent focal length. So you still retain the size advantage of a mirrorless camera. Plus I have a whole stable of Nikon glass that has automatically made my DSLR and mirrorless kit 100% compatible.

The current 10mm and 18.5mm lenses are just as sharp as the 14mm and 20mm M43 equivalents.

This would be beautiful as a sepia.

Gary

Thanks John and Gary. :) Gary, I can picture that as a washed sepia, I'll definitely give that a try.

For "all-range" walks I've been using the V1 to reach the fauna, the X-E1 with the 18-55mm and 14mm for landscapes.

Back