Micro 4/3 The official I don't want the LX100 thread

Ray, the fact that the lens ring on the G7X clicks through its positions as opposed to the smooth operation of the RX100 family's smooth ring action is a big plus in my book. The G7X seems to have everything except a viewfinder. But maybe that's not a big deal depending on how well the rear LCD holds up in bright sunlight.

Ray, the fact that the lens ring on the G7X clicks through its positions as opposed to the smooth operation of the RX100 family's smooth ring action is a big plus in my book. The G7X seems to have everything except a viewfinder. But maybe that's not a big deal depending on how well the rear LCD holds up in bright sunlight.

Assuming it works well, that's an upside, for sure. The one on the G1X mkII is evidently pretty badly implemented, with a pretty serious lag between turning (clicking) the ring and actually seeing changes in the settings. That sort of operational issue can wipe out a lot of good features. But hopefully they learned from that one? I've looked through the manual and I think I could set this one up to my liking, and the marked, external exposure comp dial is a REALLY big deal in my little world. But the lens is really ambitious for such a small camera. I'm gonna wait until it's around a while and there are plenty of examples of it around in real world shooting. I'd have rather they'd have gone a little bigger and done it without the compromises that may have been necessary to get it all in such a small body. But I guess they're going RIGHT for the RX100 market with this one, so size must have been their priority. It's just not mine...

-Ray

Despite my disappointment with the lack of touch/tilt screen, I pre-ordered one last week, which is something I've never done before, preferring to stay a year or two behind in product cycles. I had visions of selling most of my m4/3 gear (which is not really a ton) and keeping only one body and a prime lens or two outside the range of the LX100. Plus maybe finally get the cheap Olympus 40-150. Sounds reasonable for a minimalist set-up, right?
But then I have the Ricoh GR as well, plus the wide angle lens. So there starts to be a bit of overlap for my needs, since I already have the GR for wide and street and casual use, and it can also be used on a tripod for more serious work. If I was to leave the house with the GR and the LX100 I would feel that I don't have the best coverage and I'd need a third camera with me, which is not something I want to do. And I'm not even someone who uses zooms or requires a lot of different lenses (in fact my usual set up is the GR plus the EPL5 with 45mm and one lens in the bag). So it's not that I need a big kit. It's just that with the GR, the LX100 isn't really the right fit for me.

So I'll probably stick to my original plan, which was to upgrade for the EP5 and just rock with that plus 3 or 4 lenses, with the GR.

Video centric, but a good review: Panasonic LX100 first impressions review and 4K footage - EOSHD.com - Filmmaking Gear and Camera Reviews

"I hesitate to call the LX100 a ‘compact’ because about the only thing it shares with a traditional compact is size. The performance of the LX100 and image quality makes it worth thinking twice about taking snaps on an iPhone. The sensor is DSLR-class, the EVF mirrorless class and the lens frankly a class of its own. If sold separately for Micro Four Thirds it would be a premium offering with a premium price. I found the performance of the Leica zoom to be superb, in keeping with the recent Panasonic-Leica 15mm F1.7 for Micro Four Thirds it is pin sharp wide open and offers punchy colour. Bokeh is pronounced and creamy."

I wasn't going to get one due to the lack of touch/tilt screen and some of the reviews about the EVF. However, I think this will replace one of my EP5, my Olympus 12-40/2.8 zoom, and maybe a couple of wider prime lenses. I will keep one E-P5 for longer zooms and 45/75 f1.8 lenses for portraits. It will definitely be my main video shooter.

So far I haven't been able to convert the LX100 RAW files properly although the best attempts are with Raw Therapee and PhotoNinja.
The only jpegs I've seen that meet my expectations for resolution/colour/no smearing are those tripod based at the Imaging-resource website where they look OK.

Could there be an issue with the IS and aggressive noise reduction?
Physically it's my ideal package but I couldn't live with what I've seen so far.

I posted in another LX100 thread. The images looks good in raw, but when you correct the distortion at 10.9mm (~24mm), you end up w/ approx. 9MP image from 12MP raw. So the camera resizes the 9MP raw image to 12MP jpg, hence all the artifacts... I haven't checked the tele but mid range might be where there is less digital corrections...

So far I haven't been able to convert the LX100 RAW files properly although the best attempts are with Raw Therapee and PhotoNinja.
The only jpegs I've seen that meet my expectations for resolution/colour/no smearing are those tripod based at the Imaging-resource website where they look OK.

Could there be an issue with the IS and aggressive noise reduction?
Physically it's my ideal package but I couldn't live with what I've seen so far.

Thanks for posting.

Found the following interesting:

"The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 is the most capable compact camera that we've ever reviewed, offering a mouth-watering combination of cutting edge technology, excellent image quality, and intuitive handling. There are still a few downsides - most notably the lack of a touchscreen or articulated LCD and a rather narrow control ring - but the new LX100 manages to pull off the trick of being both a technological tour-de-force and a camera that's a veritable joy to shoot with.

Another review @ photographyblog w/ lots of samples incl raw:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Review | Photography Blog

I think each of these camera makers are saving these for future upgrades and also making the camera cheaper for initial offering... GM1 has the same ring and was upgraded in GM5, etc...

Thanks for posting.

Found the following interesting:

"The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 is the most capable compact camera that we've ever reviewed, offering a mouth-watering combination of cutting edge technology, excellent image quality, and intuitive handling. There are still a few downsides - most notably the lack of a touchscreen or articulated LCD and a rather narrow control ring - but the new LX100 manages to pull off the trick of being both a technological tour-de-force and a camera that's a veritable joy to shoot with.

I'm starting to crumble here. Can someone tell me something really bad about the LX100 please?

The only things I've been able to come up with are lack of touch/swivel screen, limited reach on the long end, and a poor auto-ISO implementation. Two of those three things are deal breakers to me, but probably not to most. If they're OK with you, I'd go for it. This is a camera I like so much I WISH I wanted one...

-Ray

Back