The old fashioned way of obtaining close ups (using extension tubes) Updated-images

Now here's a bit of serendipity (or is it synchronicity?) ... I was passing a charity shop on Wednesday and spied something interesting in the window ... I didn't feel the need to negotiate too hard as it was a charity after all, but I couldn't resist this ...

View attachment 42713
minolta bellows by _loupe, on Flickr

View attachment 42714
minolta bellows by _loupe, on Flickr

The glass looks like its always had a UV filter on and seems absolutely clean; the bellows so far as I can tell have no holes, but there is a small tape repair where they have come away from the rear mount a little ... at the very least it might be fun to experiment ... also the retailer's label is rather interesting !

Paul,

That looks like an interesting aquisition. I'm expecting to take some delivery of material in the next hour from which I'm going to machine some better tripod mounts for some of my macro lenses rather than relying on the camera tripod, so hoping to document that in the next few days. I've been cleaning up my long disused small lathe and milling attachment, been some time since I've done any working like that.

Barrie

top notch ... I'm assuming that the back end of the bellows is a Minolta MC/MD mount so I can get an adapter from HK ... but if not you can make me a special adaptor and cook your supper at the same time ...

Barrie - I got my teleconverter something or other through the magic of ebay and I LOVE IT! I can take pictures of teeny tiny things from close up without haveing a lens longer than my legs or having to stand 12 feet away. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet but it is such a cool toy. £20 thank you very much. That adapter ring is the best thing I've bought for the camera, opens up a whole world of cheap fun.

I also have a lathe. I had it set up in the living room when I was in Northumberland but I can't get away with that now I'm back in Glasgow. Roll on the day when I get the dream house with adjoining workshop, kennels and recording studio. It's not a proper lathe, it's an old washing machine engine type. The Dremel is still the top dog in my toolbox.

This is what the new toy does with the 35-70mm lens attached.
6224233735_1f20e24b27_z.jpg
[/url] DSC01774 by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
6224235343_c67be3004b_z.jpg
[/url] DSC01784 by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back