The Old Part of Town

neilvan

Regular
New Westminster, BC, Canada this morning...

p268313278-5.jpg

p59082429-5.jpg

p1020126553-5.jpg

I really like the juxtaposition of the old/new buildings here...
p674448972-5.jpg

p180343152-5.jpg

Photographed with either Samsung EX1 or Panasonic G1 (w/ OM 50mm f1.8 MiJ)

1st: The colors are nice, but the photo really does nothing for me. Nothing technically wrong, I just have no emotional response to the photo.
2nd: This one I especially love. The colors are nice and composition are striking. The photo to me rides the fence between architecture and abstract. Nicely done.
3rd: I like this photo too, but the distortion is distracting. I see what you are tying to present, but maybe some software distortion correction could be needed? I'm not sure.
4th: I like this one overall as well. Not as strikign as the 2nd, but its still very good.
5th: Same with the 3rd. I think some software correction for the distortion might help. Its not as strong as the 3rd photo either at least to me.

Out of them all, I like the 2nd one the best, and then the 3rd. Both of these are special.
What camera and lenses did you take these with?

Hi Djarum,

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated! I actually have tried those with less distortion but something gets 'lost' when I do, so I just went back to the original as presented.

The second and third were taken with the Samsung EX1, my favourite new P&S...

The "distortion" doesn't bother me at all - I don't think I even noticed it. I probably just thought of it as part of the image - and liked it as is in both photos. I actually think it may add to the other worldliness of both of those eerie, rather post apocalyptic scenes. Come to think of it, all of these have a desolate feeling to them - which I happen to like quite a bit. I'd say numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 are my favorites.

That first one reminds me of a place I took some of my best photos...back in the 1970s, in a small, poverty stricken river town along the Ohio river called Pomeroy. This scene of the old wall and brick chimney almost looks seems as though it's a water color - along the lines of say Jamie Wyeth, or even those by his father Andrew Wyeth. I like it very much.

Thanks BB. That's funny actually, I was just telling a friend last night that I was trying to get across how desolate the place was...I guess it worked!

Neil, I'm going to add a photograph of mine to your "The Old Part of Town". I figured you wouldn't mind. We've got a modern architecture thread, so perhaps this can be our not so modern version.

5118235801_1c14a84781_b.jpg

Leica X1 in Hatteras, NC taken on my vacation from the passenger seat of our car.

BBW, you've got some sort of weird 'banding' thing happening in the sky in the upper right hand corner of that shot. I clicked through to the large version on your Flickr stream and its there on that one too. Any idea what caused this or if you can fix it? It takes away from an otherwise find photograph. I tend not to be too anal about stuff like this but I noticed that right away.

-Ray

Thanks Ray - I hadn't seen it but do now. I'll fix it. I have no idea what I did.:redface:

OK, I fixed it. Of course I preferred the other version - minus that weird right hand corner. That is the downside to the Silver Efex not offering a history, as you pointed out in a different thread. They are apparently working on that issue for an upgrade. Talk about being compulsive - you don't want to know how many retries I did... I'm not easily satisfied, I guess. So the newer version is in there now, Ray - thanks to your sharp eyes!

Covered Streets in Seville

This happens a lot in the Summer. I went back to LR and looked at the photos again, the first one did look better on Auto but still not really what I saw. The second is more tricky and I could probably spend ages fiddling with it!

L1002379-2.jpg

Christina, I think this is a beautiful photo. Sometimes even if the color isn't just as we saw it, it really doesn't matter. I know I moved this out of the "Hats" thread where you were responding to the color tones on another...but this one stands on its own so well... Thanks for letting me move it to this thread where it can be seen as it is.:flowers_2:

Christina - I'm sorry I missed this! I was away celebrating our daughter's birthday. I am really enjoying seeing more of your Seville photos! Love the two striped fellows with their backs to us up top - many designs going on here, while the young lady appears to be - gulp :eek: texting? I guess even in some of the most beautiful and historic spots one can't escape technology.;)

BB, I really like your cemetery picture. Did you process this with the Nik program? The light on the 2 front tombstones is wonderful. Thanks.

I really like that, that is one very atmospheric picture, and I love the angle you have shot it from..
The tree looks so ancient, and the light on the tombstones and the way it highlights the lettering really adds to the photo...

Back