Micro 4/3 The Olympus 12mm f/2 lens - looking impressive!

Panasonic and Olympus are playing quite nicely right now by not stepping on each other's toes in prime lenses (the two 45mms being macro and non-macro). Whether by moratorium or coincidence I'm not sure. You'd assume that if the format progresses they would each want their own "complete" range of lenses, but for now it is no matter to the users who makes the lens, just so long as they are good.

Lunenburg N.S.

Here is a go BB...

ATTACH=CONFIG]1787[/ATTACH]
Peggys Cove Again copy.jpg

Attachments

• The Lone Piper.jpg
    The Lone Piper.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 242
I haven't been contributing much of late.......too besotted with my K-5. However, this latest round of gear intros intrigued me.

Here are a few from today.

G3 + 12mm

p988246257-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p930199231-5.jpg

And I'll just sneak in one from the G3 + PL45 :tongue:

p786105103-5.jpg

Regards......R

(BB.....I hope you stayed dry)

Rich, we are glad to see you no matter which camera and lens set up you have in your hands - love that treetop cloud reflection in black and white. It reminds me of the wild west.

Peter, beautiful as always - I like them all, but for me it's your first with the softness of the water, the shining pool and the way I can see through the water in the foreground. I'm suffering early withdrawal from my swimming down in North Carolina...and these pictures make me miss it even more. Keep them coming!

Recently, I walked into a camera store to find a Sonnar 50mm m-mount lens and walked out with an ep-3 and the new 12mm. Am presently in Barcelona with X100 and ep3 and am reluctant to admit that the Olympys with the 12mm is more fun to shoot with, and not simply because of novelty effect. The 12mm is a gem of a lens and the new touch screen a great feature to set the focus point very quickly without having to recompose. A few jpeg snapshots from the dimly lit indoor market.

I'm also in Spain and brought my "little uns", the Ricoh gxr 50, x100 and EP3. Of the three cameras, the x100 has seen the least use. The EP3 is fun to use although I have found the focus to be off from time to time. If the Ricoh had faster focus it would be perfect for me although the vf is a bit intrusive. I haven't really jelled with the x100 for some reason although it takes great photos!!! Wish I could post from this computer but internet connection is just toooooooo slow!!!

I'm also in Spain and brought my "little uns", the Ricoh gxr 50, x100 and EP3. Of the three cameras, the x100 has seen the least use. The EP3 is fun to use although I have found the focus to be off from time to time. If the Ricoh had faster focus it would be perfect for me although the vf is a bit intrusive. I haven't really jelled with the x100 for some reason although it takes great photos!!! Wish I could post from this computer but internet connection is just toooooooo slow!!!

Wow, what a great gear collection. I agree with you, the GXR's ergonomics, user interface, haptics, the X100's sensor and built in VF and all coupled with the EP3's fast af and touchscreen would be quite something.

Recently, I walked into a camera store to find a Sonnar 50mm m-mount lens and walked out with an ep-3 and the new 12mm. Am presently in Barcelona with X100 and ep3 and am reluctant to admit that the Olympys with the 12mm is more fun to shoot with, and not simply because of novelty effect. The 12mm is a gem of a lens and the new touch screen a great feature to set the focus point very quickly without having to recompose. A few jpeg snapshots from the dimly lit indoor market.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to say that here! :D

They're both wonderful cameras. I just enjoy them in different ways. The X100 slows you down, makes you think just a little - it'll react in a hurry if you need it to, but that's not its strong suit. The EP3 (or epl3) with the 12mm is just one of the nicest feeling setups I've ever shot with. Its so resoundingly SOLID. And its lightning quick for anything you want to do with it. So it doesn't make you slow down and think or contemplate at all. Its just a totally different experience. I don't think I could rank one over the other. If I had to own just one, it would be the EPxx just because its so versatile and the X100 is obviously not, but I'd really hate to give the X100 up.

Those are great shots, btw. Barcelona's such a beautiful and interesting city - I look forward to seeing some of your outdoor shots as well...

-Ray

Back