Micro 4/3 The Olympus 17mm f2.8 thread

Sep 8, 2010
London UK
Andy
Please can you post images taken with the Olympus 17mm f2.8 and also give us your thoughts on this little beauty.

I have always disregarded it as general feelings were not very favorable but from the image examples i have seen this looks to be a great lens. It's also a great focal length!!(34mm)

BBW

Administrator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2010
betwixt and between
BB
It's true. I wish it had been available with the E-P2 when I first bought mine.

I know Vidar has many wonderful photos with the 17mm. Let me see if I can rustle him up to post a few here.

BillN

Hall of Famer
Aug 25, 2010
S W France
Bill
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BBW

Administrator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2010
betwixt and between
BB
Thanks so much, Vidar!

Be sure to click on those photos to see them in their full glory.:wink:

Bill, I'd forgotten that you had the 17mm, too - some wonderful ones there that you've posted for examples.

Sep 8, 2010
London UK
Andy
Thank you so much for posting up images so quickly. They are terrific and the quality looks impressive by any standard! It's the 34mm (Full Frame) focal length that i think looks good so i may have to give this one a try? Sometimes i do feel that even the 20mm f/1.7 can be a bit long on some situations. I also think I'm really finding my ideal focal length which seems to be between 12mm and 25mm (24 & 50mm on FF / 18mm and 38mm crop). Isn't it funny how most of us equate focal length to full frame when most have used crop sensor cameras!:)

Lili

Hall of Famer
Oct 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
Lili
Ah, belatedly found this post. The 17mm is quite my favorite lens on the E-PL1.

As it ought to be as my favorite 4/3 lens is my 25mm Zuiko, its close cousin

pictor

All-Pro
Jul 14, 2010
I love this lens much more than the 20mm because I can take better photographs with a lens I own than with a lens I don't own. I like the quality of the images I get from this lens so much that I have never considered to exchange or complement it with the 20mm. In my opinion the 17mm is one of the most underrated lenses.

Here is my favorite shot I took with this lens:

Olympus E-P1, 17mm @ f/4.5, 1/250, ISO 200

Lili

Hall of Famer
Oct 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
Lili
I love this lens much more than the 20mm because I can take better photographs with a lens I own than with a lens I don't own. I like the quality of the images I get from this lens so much that I have never considered to exchange or complement it with the 20mm. In my opinion the 17mm is one of the most underrated lenses.

Here is my favorite shot I took with this lens:

Olympus E-P1, 17mm @ f/4.5, 1/250, ISO 200
Splendid Street/Candid, love it

BBW

Administrator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2010
betwixt and between
BB
Bill, it's about time you posted some of your photos in here, you've been "hiding your light under a bushel", as they say! My favorite is your third - a spectacular evening view, where I wouldn't mind sitting this evening with a nice glass of wine...with you and, of course, my husband, too.:wink: Really beautiful, Bill.

Paul, love the balloons in sepia/monochrome...they're so festive, and yet the scene feels subdued.

Latest threads

Top Bottom