Micro 4/3 The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Experience

But it still didn't provoke the same batsqueak of desire that the E-P2 did when I first picked it up

I'm sure that would be something worth hearing!

I'd already paid the money before I got to handle the E-M5 for the first time but I was fairly comfortable with it from the beginning, although I did have to develop a different way to hold the camera and operate it using the touchscreen in addition to my usual finger-on-shutter-button and thumb-on-shutter-button grips.

.... But it still didn't provoke the same batsqueak of desire that the E-P2 did when I first picked it up

There is something about that E-P2. The E-P3 is very nice as well, but think that E-P2 is the best looking digital PEN so far. I traded mine to a friend for his Epson 2400 printer, so at least I can see it every once in a while.

I sold the Em5 with a view to getting the Pentax K30 but then I thought, hey, I only have one lens now for the Pentax and I have three or four for the EM5. I decided to re-get the EM5 with the kit lens this time and put the Pentax on hold for a while to see how I feel in another 6 months or so! Armando is a little quiet at the moment although not totally silent! Wedding preparations perhaps?

EM5 and Olympus 50mm macro

All of sudden my world makes sense! Just got my replacement EM5 and put on my fave lens :)

P1010010-2-3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Christina. I'm actually not sure if I did anything in particular to the colours in the first images. Aside from maybe some changes to the saturation this is how they came out of the raw file (through ACR). Between the E-M5 and to a slight lesser extent the Canon G1X I'm doing much less colour manipulation during processing than I would have previously, unless of course I want a particular effect.

Do you mean that the shutter sounds changes when using the PL25? I'm not sure if my hearing is sensitive enough to notice, but you've got me curious now. I do use the PL25 with the hood attached so I'll try and see if I can hear any difference between it and some other lenses.

Nic, those colour images have more pop than I've seen from most of the OM-D images I've seen so far, as most seem kind of flat and digital looking. You seem to have applied more contrast in the details, not quite sure what the technical term is for the effect you've achieved. Frankly, they remind me a bit of Foveon images, or the output I sometimes get from the Ricoh GXR-M or the X100 when processing with Lightroom. They look extra vivid but still fairly natural, 'hyper real' is the term I sometimes use. Me like!

Hey, thanks! Basically these have been passed through ACR and then had a light pass through the "tonal contrast" filter in Color Efex, which does add a little contrast to the finer details. This seems to retain an appearance of contrast even when the shadows have been brought up and the general exposure level is quite high. The E_M5 already seems to have good micro contrast so there isn't any need to overdo this effect. I have adjusted saturation levels and done some minor tone curve adjustments, but the colours are otherwise what the camera saw on a Brisbane winter morning :) The big difference that I find on the E-M5 compared to some other cameras is the way it hold onto colours in bright and even backlit situations, especially sky blues.

Well I did it! I bought the O-MD E-M5 today! Waiting now patiently for it to get here in the post, being in a country town it's postage for most things here.

I can't wait now after seeing all these lovely photos!!!

I plan on selling some kit to pay for the new baby and will prob just keep the G1X for in the car.

Now I think it's time to start playing with old lenses, I'm going to have to get some adapters and lenses!

Just a question? does any adapter fit these? Say it's listed as a panasonic micro 4/3ds adapter? I'm new to legacy lens choice and want to make sure I do it right from the start :)

Back