The Photographer

Many thanks for that link Paul, it's made me even more impatient for the weather to ease somewhat so I can get out and about with my new DP2M. At least I don't have to hoist it and a tripod on my shoulder. It's also made me realise that it's not just the rain and gales that are keeping me house bound, but the quality of the light. The whole experience was a wonderful testament to the tonal quality that's to be had in good black and white work, and good to see a Red-necked Phalarope at about 08:26.

Barrie

I liked his groovy boots ...

Edward (and Brett) Weston were the first photographers whose work I wanted to emulate (I saw their photographs in 1950s "Photography Year Books" that I was given in my teens) ... still do in fact ... did anyone notice :rolleyes:

it's a lovely little film, though it paints a very straightforward picture of a rather complicated man. the copyright date was 1948 so if that's when it was made he wasn't far off his death and would have been suffering from the effects of Parkinson's.

Hey All,

I want the car!!

I especially liked when he said "there are no rules for composition" (or close to it) - what suckers we've all been! :D

I also liked where he said that the issue of photography as art had been settled long ago when he was talking about the work of Stiglitz.

And it was easy to understand why he was excited about seeing what developed in the darkroom!!

Great find!!

-Ed-

I think Edward Weston also said, "To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk."

One of my heroes.

Back