Cats The Requisite Cat (Kitty) Photo thread

Z50_3201.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"If you must ..."

M.

Another one of lovely Lizzie, at over 21 y.o. ...

View attachment 308845
Thanks, everyone. She was the sweetest little cat, shy and a bit reserved, but not in any way timid.

By this time she was almost completely blind and had dementia. When she had a stroke some months later, she was already completely blind. After the stroke, she had no sense of direction and was walking (staggering) in circles. She was at the veterinary within the hour. The last great act of love we can perform for our beloved companion creatures, but devastating for us.

Her sister, Rosa (litter mate), was never quite the same after Lizzie was put down. More clingy to us. Rosa also had dementia, but could see pretty well up to her last week or so. She also had a stroke. Lost control of her right front paw, and couldn't walk properly. She only lasted about three months after Lizzie died. Unlike her sister in personality, she was an in-your-face cat.

21.5 y.o. is a pretty good innings for Felis domesticus calculata (look it up ... ). Average lifespan is about 13 y.o.

They are both near to us still, nearly 9 months later. Barely a day goes past when we are not in tears.

They loved each other as only litter mates do, but they also loved us, and us them.

Felis Domesticus Calculata is described to perfection here:

Eric Gurney (1962).

:rofl:

Companion volume, how-to-live-with-a-neurotic-dog-by Stephen Baker and Eric Gurney:

Must haves for all cat and dog lovers.

This is my Osho, a 16-year-old Nebelung. Fujifilm X-S10 / XF 16-80 / Godox TT350F

thumbnail

Interesting breeding history, thanks.

I used to breed Siamese cats. With an inbreeding (brother/sister mating) and some line breeding (mother/son; father/daughter), I managed to turn a recessive gene (blue points) into a dominant.

If you bred one of my seals (carrying blue) to a seal point (not carrying blue as a recessive), you ended up with a majority of blue offspring, instead of 100% seal points. This was back in the 1970s.

Interesting breeding history, thanks.

I used to breed Siamese cats. With an inbreeding (brother/sister mating) and some line breeding (mother/son; father/daughter), I managed to turn a recessive gene (blue points) into a dominant.

If you bred one of my seals (carrying blue) to a seal point (not carrying blue as a recessive), you ended up with a majority of blue offspring, instead of 100% seal points. This was back in the 1970s.
I had a cat in the late 60s as a kid, but the actual obsession came in 2001, leading to us adopting a total of 12 cats (all rescues! 3 Bengals plus Osho, all others quite mixed), with a maximum of 11 at one time...and yes, all indoors too!

"Interesting" doesn't quite cover the experience 😸

Kira eating - she is very messy and often requires help (with a spoon)
As a very young kitten (16 weeks old) she bit through the cable of a night lamp and got electrocuted
It was touch and go whether she would survive and many painful weeks with daily vet visit for injections and care pulled her through

She is now in her 17th year, bless her whiskers!

Web 1500_FUJS5441 Kira eating 70-300 with 14TC col.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back