Cats The Requisite Cat (Kitty) Photo thread

Lovely shots IVN. Out of curiosity, what lens are you using?

Thank you Robin. Over the last two weeks I've been using the Pana 25/1.4 and Oly 45/1.8. Check out the links in my signature, those lead to flickr sets with photos taken with said gear.

The last few weeks have seen the arrival of a mint used Sigma DP2 ( original non Merrill ) and a visiting neighbours cat. She is a friendly and very chatty
little dark tortoiseshell ( apparently they are almost exclusively female ). I thought I would test the Sigma's focusing to see if was as slow as critics say.
My other camera is a small sensor Samsung EX1 - it must have set a high standard when it was introduced and is still a very capable machine.
My problem with picturing the playful little cat was that she refuses to look into the lens and is always on the move.

These were my first efforts

I think she was a kitten when I first asked the Sigma to find focus . Eventually ---------- I got these

View attachment 90829

View attachment 90830

View attachment 90831

I then found a way to picture her face on.
She likes to jump up on garden seat and sit next to me. Shooting with the Samsung would have been quite easy as I would have used the fast focusing and articulated screen as a framing guide.
The Sigma isn't blessed with either - but it's got it where it counts ( if you can nail it )
I tried doing a selfie ! holding the DP2 at arms length in the general direction of me and the tortie
I then cropped myself out and these are about as near to a face on shot that I could muster. This camera doesn't really need a zoom lens because the sensor allows considerable cropping.
What's that crawling up her left eye ?

View attachment 90832

View attachment 90833

A neighbour's cat Jeffrey - he's not fat, he's just big boned. GH-2, Lumix 100-300.

_1100408.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back