Ricoh The Ricoh GR III Image Thread (Showcase)

Taken me a year but I'm finally happy with what I can get out of this camera.
R0016433 copy 2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Really curious, why was it so difficult to get what you want with the GR III?
Because I expected it to render like the II and it didn't. The III's files are technically better with edge to edge blah blah, more megapickles and of course it has way more features but the files don't have that film like rendering, sharpness, contrast and bite of the II, specifically with the B&W images. That's what I wanted and couldn't get. The II has all that out of camera you don't have to work it out how to get there, it's just like that. By comparison, I find the III's files to be characterless and flat. Which shouldn't be the case as it apparently has the sensor of the Pentax KP, a fine camera. But not to worry, a bit of PP can iron that out one would think? No chance. I honestly think the II's files bear comparison with those of an Elmarit or Biogon whereas for me, the III renders files just like any other current modern camera and I don't feel it. That's why I found it difficult. I'm at the stage where maybe, just maybe, I've found a way to getting the III's files in camera someway how I like them. If only Ricoh kept the same lens on the III as with the II. Sorry for going on about it :LOL:

Last edited:
Because I expected it to render like the II and it didn't. The III's files are technically better with edge to edge blah blah, more megapickles and of course it has way more features but the files don't have that film like rendering, sharpness, contrast and bite of the II, specifically with the B&W images. That's what I wanted and couldn't get. The II has all that out of camera you don't have to work it out how to get there, it's just like that. By comparison, I find the III's files to be characterless and flat. Which shouldn't be the case as it apparently has the sensor of the Pentax KP, a fine camera. But not to worry, a bit PP can iron that out one would think? No chance. I honestly think the II's files bear comparison with those of an Elmarit or Biogon whereas for me, the III renders files just like any other current modern camera and I don't feel it. That's why I found it difficult. I'm at the stage where maybe, just maybe, I've found a way to getting the III's files in camera someway how I like them. If only Ricoh kept the same lens on the III as with the II. Sorry for going on about it :LOL:
I see. I take it you're shooting jpegs then?

Because I expected it to render like the II and it didn't. The III's files are technically better with edge to edge blah blah, more megapickles and of course it has way more features but the files don't have that film like rendering, sharpness, contrast and bite of the II, specifically with the B&W images. That's what I wanted and couldn't get. The II has all that out of camera you don't have to work it out how to get there, it's just like that. By comparison, I find the III's files to be characterless and flat. Which shouldn't be the case as it apparently has the sensor of the Pentax KP, a fine camera. But not to worry, a bit of PP can iron that out one would think? No chance. I honestly think the II's files bear comparison with those of an Elmarit or Biogon whereas for me, the III renders files just like any other current modern camera and I don't feel it. That's why I found it difficult. I'm at the stage where maybe, just maybe, I've found a way to getting the III's files in camera someway how I like them. If only Ricoh kept the same lens on the III as with the II. Sorry for going on about it :LOL:
Do you think part of what made you feel that way about the GR II files was the noise? My GR II put out very sharp but also pretty grainy files, and the lower MP count made the grainy noise bigger and more hard-edged. I suspect that contributed to making the files "bite" more. Grain can look sharper with the way it handles edge contrast and what not.

I find the GR III can have tons of character, including in the JPEGs, but it needs specifically tuned for that kind of output. So, for instance, my positive film style has some tweaking further away from the standard look: -2 hi/low key, +3 contrast, +3 highlights, -2 shadows, +2 sharpness, -1 vignette, +3 clarity. In another camera this much tweaking would look very unrealistic, but the GR III handles JPEG editing very gently.

Of course it's all personal taste, you've seen some of my posts here so only you can judge whether the JPEGs will do anything for you. But, again, I still think a lot of the filmic "bite" to the II came from the way it handles noise.

Do you think part of what made you feel that way about the GR II files was the noise? My GR II put out very sharp but also pretty grainy files, and the lower MP count made the grainy noise bigger and more hard-edged. I suspect that contributed to making the files "bite" more. Grain can look sharper with the way it handles edge contrast and what not.
Well the noise could certainly be fantastic in TAV mode, but I found the files to be remarkably clean in good light too yet still retaining that geogeous film like rendering.
I find the GR III can have tons of character, including in the JPEGs, but it needs specifically tuned for that kind of output. So, for instance, my positive film style has some tweaking further away from the standard look: -2 hi/low key, +3 contrast, +3 highlights, -2 shadows, +2 sharpness, -1 vignette, +3 clarity. In another camera this much tweaking would look very unrealistic, but the GR III handles JPEG editing very gently.
That’s interesting, thanks. Highlight weighted metering is the feature I’m hanging onto atm. I believe is in certain Sony Cameras too.

Thank you, I appreciate those kind words! Most of the credit goes straight to Ricoh's hi-contrast B&W mode, but I did tweak it to taste. Developed in-camera. Developing in-camera is my tool of choice 90% of the time these days.

If you don't mind my curiosity, Andrew -- what exactly were or are the tweaks that you did or do, in achieving this particular hi-contrast B&W look? I know your GRiii has a significantly updated processing 'engine' than my GRii, but I'm wondering if I can borrow or steal any of your specific 'settings' or tweaks, and apply them to the GR II?

Inside the GR II menu, under the Hi-Contrast B&W 'effect' - there are only 3 variable settings:
Contrast - which only offers 3 choices: Max, -1, or -2
Sharpness - with an adjustable scale from 1 to 9
Vignetting - with 4 choices: Off, Weak, Medium, Strong

In my ongoing experiments with the GRII, the Max contrast setting is almost too insanely extreme, so either the -1 or -2 seem stronger to me. With regards to sharpness, I'm clueless though my tendency is to not oversharpen inside the camera but where necessary to use the Topaz AI sharpening plugin which Ctein raved about some time ago on TheOnlinePhotographer site. And I haven't tried the vignetting setting at all.

So---are there any parallels or useful tips from your iii that I can beg, borrow or steal for me ii? ;)

Back