Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for the reply. It sounds like you have had the exact same gear as me with the X100 and Micro 4/3. I also loved the 20mm f1.7 but unless you were on a panasonic body with electronic shutter it was too slow to focus. I did have a GM1 with the 14mm f2.5 and that was great for street.

I have seen SO many great images with awesome quality, especially mono. They are very high contrast. Is this the mono Jpg setting in the camera or a processed RAW file?

Thanks so much Andy. No I dont shoot jpeg only raw in every camera i use. I do use however, raw+jpeg on the ricoh, and the jpegs are beautiful and yes it has the highly regarded 'high bw contrast' which makes beautiful high contrast bw files. The in camera raw processing of the ricoh is brilliant! I wish sony had it.

Chris, impressive post! Thanks for your input. Wondering did you do anything to prevent dust in the sensor?

Hey Dave, I really appreciate your words!, yes I do have a little 'trick' (if you can call it that) to prevent dust on the Ricoh. It is an stick on uv filter that you put in front of the lens barrel and it works wonders. There's only one little company that does it, and for me has been the perfect solution. This one ACMAXX LENS ARMOR - Ricoh GR Digital / New-GR

Also, Dave i see you list in your gear a GM1, and I am seriously thinking in buying one now in 2016. How do you like it? I am not looking for a full manual-knobs-controls-fuji-leica experience but an automatic, better than point and shoot experience. Have you done any printing with it maybe?

Wow, can I ask what processing was involved there?
The processing was more or less as follows - I started with an original digital RAW image - which I processed in Lightroom 5 / LR5. I have a number of LR5 presets that I bought from a small company of crazed digital photography enthusiasts called X-Equals - which mimic some of the characteristics of certain classic films in different ways. Their products are ridiculously affordable btw. X-Equals also has a website & blog and occasionally they give away 'free' presets. I used one of those in this processing - which partially replicates some of the characteristics of older Polaroid instant photographs, but with a distinctly yellowish cast. Then I noodled with the result a little more in LR5 until it came out just the way I wanted it. The original DNG was quite nice by the way - but lighter, less dark & intense, and less contrasty. And, yes, it took awhile to get it just right....that is, to get it as I was seeing it in my mind.

Last edited:
The processing was more or less as follows - I started with an original digital RAW images - which I processed in Lightroom 5 / LR5. I have a number of LR5 presets that I bought from a small company of crazed digital photography enthusiasts called X-Equals - which mimic some of the characteristics of certain classic films in different ways. Their products are ridiculously affordable btw. X-Equals also has a website & blog and occasionally they give away 'free' presets. I used one of those in this processing - which partially replicates some of the characteristics of older Polaroid instant photographs, but with a distinctly yellowish cast. Then I noodled with the result a little more in LR5 until it came out just the way I wanted it. The original DNG was quite nice by the way - but lighter, less dark & intense, and less contrasty. And, yes, it took awhile to get it just right....that is, to get it as I was seeing it in my mind.
Thanks for the info, I do realise that PP can often constitute intellectual property. What strikes me is how your free preset seems way better than the free VSCO presets.

Hey Dave, I really appreciate your words!, yes I do have a little 'trick' (if you can call it that) to prevent dust on the Ricoh. It is an stick on uv filter that you put in front of the lens barrel and it works wonders. There's only one little company that does it, and for me has been the perfect solution. This one ACMAXX LENS ARMOR - Ricoh GR Digital / New-GR

Also, Dave i see you list in your gear a GM1, and I am seriously thinking in buying one now in 2016. How do you like it? I am not looking for a full manual-knobs-controls-fuji-leica experience but an automatic, better than point and shoot experience. Have you done any printing with it maybe?

Thanks for that tip on the GR, might be just the ticket for a new ol' GR! Re:GM1 -- it's quite small, you gotta try it in your hands if you like the handling. Me, I'm cool with that. You might try looking at the newer GM5 too. Haven't printed with it, but the file quality are comparatively same with my other M43 body (GH3) which I have printed some a while back.

R0000986_Fotor_Fotor.jpg

St. Patrick's Day Parade, Toronto. Ricoh GRii.

A lot of nice work here with the GR, folks! Definitely inspires me to dust mine off and get back to using it again. I've fallen from grace for a while, shooting with other cameras (m4/3 and Sigma DP Merrills).

Last edited:
Back