Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Aug 27, 2013
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A few more examples of the GW-3 'Wide Conversion' lens, which transforms the 28mm fov of the GRii into a 21mm POV. Most were taken walking about the small Oregon town which is my adopted home.

The wider angle allowed me to show both this tree - and its undercarriage (not the right word, I know) - as well as the context of the adjacent street and the house across from it--

GRII_May14_Suburban_trees.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was also taken during my stroll through the suburban neighborhood - of a tree stump, in the front yard-garden of a small house--

GRII_May14_Tree-Stump#2(PosFilm).jpg

A monochrome conversion from a DNG (RAW digital negative) of a solitary tree inside the fence of an abandoned schoolyard which looked surprisingly like an arboreal prisoner, yearning for some unspecified measure of liberty--

GRII_May14_Tree_Prisoner.jpg

A view of a small pedestrian walkway over a local river creek--

R0020143.JPG

And finally a shot from beneath, with accompanying flare, of a tiny automobile which, sitting atop a pedestal, serves as an advertisement for a local restaurant--

GRII_May15_Car_on_Pole(PosFilm).jpg

The color shots were all taken using the GRii's Positive Film jpeg setting.

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Aug 27, 2013
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Two different shots taken on an overcast, cloudy day. The first with the in-camera Positive Film setting--

The second is a monochrome conversion from an original DNG, lightly processed in LR6, Nik and Topaz AI--

Interesting how different processing can totally alter the feeling and mood of an image....I mean, it's something I have known (in my mind) for some time, but seeing the results brings it home (to me) in a more immediate way.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
That's always a test for me, how a camera/ lens renders when the clouds are overcast and grey. Not traditionally good photography conditions and easy to produce a dull image, so if the image still zings, that'll do for me.

agentlossing

Top Veteran
That's always a test for me, how a camera/ lens renders when the clouds are overcast and grey. Not traditionally good photography conditions and easy to produce a dull image, so if the image still zings, that'll do for me.
That's actually my favorite shooting weather, for digital. Bright sunlight dulls color and makes highlights very hard to deal with. It's most fun shooting in the golden hour of course, but overcast and gray I can totally work with. Film renders bright sunlight better than digital in my opinion.

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Aug 27, 2013
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A few variations of the Hi-Contrast B&W setting, all of an older truck, napping in a local parking lot. Unlike most of the other semi-identical cookie-cutter-styled vehicles, its early 60's stylilng stands out--

GRII_May22_pickup_in_parking_lot.jpg

Somehow, the monochrome treatment gives the photo of a 'vintage truck' more of a vintage feel--

GRII_May22_Chevy_flatbed.jpg

This design and these 'lines' were the height of modernity once upon a time---

GRII_May22_Chevy_flatbed_frontend.jpg

But seen from the rear, it's all business--

GRII_May22_rear_of_flatbed_truck.jpg

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Aug 27, 2013
Miguel Tejada-Flores
My first two attempts to use the GRII's in-camera flash - both taken in my writing office, late at night, where the existing illumination was, shall we say, less than optimal for available-light shooting. First, a color shot---

GRII_May24_My_Godzilla.jpg

And then a monochrome shot (a different shot of the same small plastic monster, this time looking head-on at the photographer)--

GRII_May24_My_Godzilla_Head-On.jpg

Both of these were processed starting from a DNG (digital negative). Oh, and both were taken with the lens in its close-up ('Macro') mode.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
My first two attempts to use the GRII's in-camera flash - both taken in my writing office, late at night, where the existing illumination was, shall we say, less than optimal for available-light shooting. First, a color shot---

View attachment 223832

And then a monochrome shot (a different shot of the same small plastic monster, this time looking head-on at the photographer)--

View attachment 223833

Both of these were processed starting from a DNG (digital negative). Oh, and both were taken with the lens in its close-up ('Macro') mode.
I remember the b&w images where flash was used always being fine and dandy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom