Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

16848216325_df11dcb564_b.jpg

Untitled by nzkphotography, on Flickr
Astounding image, Nick.

The first shots from my new - well, not really new, but new to me - Ricoh GR. Taken while strolling around the small Oregon town I live -

First a 'Bump' in the road -

17232931690_c02358b9c4_b.jpg

B-U-M-P
by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

Then a mutant growth on an old tree -

17234293409_dc3584fbc0_b.jpg

Mutant Tree

My neighbor's motorcycle mailbox -

17232904260_087b9a51df_b.jpg

Motorcycle Mailbox

And last but not least a worksite/construction site where the house had been razed down to the foundations but, for some inexplicable reason (black humor, maybe?) the workers left a toilet in the middle of the site -

16800207723_f2a72893d7_b.jpg

Worksite Toilet

I haven't quite got all the Ricoh controls figured out - but it's a damn nifty little camera.

Last edited:
#1 and of course #4 for me, Miguel - lovely shots.
(We cemented a toilet into the school auditorium on the night of our last day there. Got charged for it, lol.)

Enjoy your GR!

The first shots from my new - well, not really new, but new to me - Ricoh GR. Taken while strolling around the small Oregon town I live -

First a 'Bump' in the road -

View attachment 108468
BUMP by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

Then a mutant growth on an old tree -

View attachment 108469
Mutant Tree by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

My neighbor's motorcycle mailbox -

View attachment 108470
Motorcycle Mailbox by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

And last but not least a worksite/construction site where the house had been razed down to the foundations but, for some inexplicable reason (black humor, maybe?) the workers left a toilet in the middle of the site -

View attachment 108471
Worksite Toilet by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

I haven't quite got all the Ricoh controls figured out - but it's a damn nifty little camera.

Here I am, waiting around for the Ricoh announcement of a new GR for 2015. Except, there isn't an announcement. And these glorious images keep getting posted. All this waiting around for a hoped for new model his hard.

Well, it's true - if a camera is truly small enough to be 'pocketable', I wind up taking it with me more - and, thus, shooting more. The latest from my GR include the Spring blossoms on the crabapple tree in front of my house -

17232865938_d595849668_b.jpg

Crabapple blossoms

- an early morning Macchiato at my local Café -

17234425309_6e7c9ca81f_b.jpg

Morning Macchiato

- and the gathering storm clouds over the horizon, looking across the street to where my neighbor has parked his semi-ancient Ford pickup -

17418695122_bc00f1dd1e_b.jpg

Cloudy afternoon

Last edited:
Thanks to its diminutive pocketability, the GR seems to be finding a way to accompany me more and more - here on a stroll down a rural lane in a small Oregon town - where a bicycle basket has been transformed into something out of the ordinary -

17232927838_efedd434c4_b.jpg

Flower Bicycle Basket

Last edited:
The Ricoh GR is a master of stealth photography. I did not want to be seen on a London Overground platform overtly photographing this particular view but using the GR and the 21mm adapter I was able to capture it discretely. A full explanation of the historical significance of the contents of the photograph can be found at my Flickr stream.

16998157738_9cbae44a4d_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Really enjoy your processing style Miguel!
Thank you, Jack, appreciate the comment. Two of the most recent ones - the 'Garden Hose' and 'BUMP in the road' - were processed with Analog Efex in the Nik software suite of plugins for Lightroom. I've played around with the different Nik plug-ins and have found recently that Analog Efex has a large number of intriguing permutations and possibilities, espeically for color work. The other one, 'Graffiti Face', was also done initially in Lightroom, but I used one of the bewilderingly large but cool family of plugins by X-Equals (Xel), that mimic a number of characteristics of a large number of negative, slide, and other films. It's not an exact science, more of a fun trial-and-error approach; the particular Xel preset I used on that one is one of a number of different approximations of Fuji's classic Velvia slide film. And, though it may be needless to say, all the images were originally shot in RAW, at relatively low ISO's.

Back