Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

@MoonMind , @Casey

Many thanks, that was edited in camera, no external editing. Like you Casey, I converted the image to the GR's standard B&W setting then applied extra contrast. You can only get these tones with the GR and I really don't don't know what I'm going to do if, as I fear, this is the last of the GR's that Ricoh is going to make. There's hardly any preparation for that kind of shot, it's instant, taken without much thought. I just can't reach that level of image in so short a time with any other camera. I know what you mean about the High Contrast setting but even then there are times when you shake your head at what that preset can achieve.

23877850368_05252c704a_b.jpg
Untitled
by Otim, on Flickr

37867575892_11bb51377b_b.jpg
Untitled
by Otim, on Flickr

Love it!

Out of curiosity, was that in camera b&w settings used, or more on the post processing side?

The high contrast in camera sometimes stays a little too gritty for me even at base ISO. I tend to use the regular black and white in camera more often, with the contrast maxed out.

Agreed. The high contrast b&w definitely has its place. I feel like others often give shining examples of it, while I’m not quite hitting that same bar. I love the standard b&w with maxed out contrast and stick to that most often. One recent thing I’ve been doing is running the Clarity setting in b&w with the clarity hovering around 7-9, and exposure -.03. This has been fun for some gloomy urban architecture stuff.

Keep up the awesome GR snaps everyone! I feel like I’ll be one of those that buys a second GRII if I need to when this one dies on me.

Some great work on this thread, definite inspiration for me to get better with mine. Here is a recent shot I took with my GRII. It is of a statue called "Monument to Multiculturalism" in front of Union Station in Toronto.

UnionStation-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just fiddling at this stage, GR arrived at 9am and i had the battery depleted in very short order. Was playing with macro here (obviously). I'll go further than my front yard when I can drive it reasonably well, or even tomorrow.

ON this first, must have had f/2.8, but, its OK... OOF areas look decent.
CE74FBF6-0872-4616-94CF-5D8A0738F0F7.jpeg

New shoot on the bougainvillea. I guess I need to wash down the posts.
A3D1FC32-D587-49E6-B199-0C83A4FBAED2.jpeg

The last (what species) flower untouched by the nectar seekers. The others have all been destroyed.
6569BAAC-B7F7-4992-BA03-6AF113B07B45.jpeg

Of course these are *not* SOOC, I'm a compulsive fixer :) However, I have noticed that the colour accuracy is nearly spot-on!

Back