Sony the Rx1, simply the best camera I have ever shot with...

I went to Fuddruckers many, many years ago. The first thing you passed on the way in was the meat locker where they stored the raw material to be freshly ground for the burgers. They had a "buffet" of condiments that you could top your burger with and I piled on the jalapenos and fresh salsa. Yum! That must have been 30 years ago. I wonder if it is the same today.

The RX1 looks impressive and the first impressions I've seen seem favorable.

Fuddruckers is exactly as you describe...and delicious...

Don't cross post this on mu-43. In the 2012 DPR camera of the year thread there, I was personally attacked for daring to say that I thought the RX1 is a better camera than the E-M5. A mod even supported the name calling.

By the way, the RX1 is Imaging Resource's camera of the year.

The Magnificent Seven: Imaging Resource’s Camera of the Year Awards - Imaging Resource

I still have my E-pl1's and love them, and when I got my Omd E-M5, I did realize how much nicer/better then E-M5 truely is, it is also a joy and I love it as well.
I do feel the Rx1 is far superior in regards to the most important issue to me atleast, Image quality. Now I get that the Omd is more versatile as obviously you can switch lens, and I have a nice set of primes, and the OMD does have wonderful IQ, I am not knocking it at all, rather, I am praising the Rx1, the IQ to come out of it has me saying wow alot, where as some of my car shots in good light with the OMD had me saying to myself that the E-pl1 could have done this also. The E-pl1 to me, has a better jpg, however, the E-pl1 tends to have more noise in the shadows then the OMD. The Sony is just a clear step up in IQ, and even in the menu's, but I was so used to the menu system from my A65 it came easy to use the Rx1.

There is no substitute for sensor size. Bigger is better. Plain and simple.

But Lucille, you create great photos with whatever you have.

Not to mention that the RX1 arguably has the best 35mm lens ever created for a full frame camera. And Lucille does create fabulous photos with any gear!

I don't believe a word of it! Total malarky.

In order to prove me wrong someone needs to lend me their Rx1 for say......6 months?......so I can test it.

:)

My most favorite lens ever is the CZ 2/35 on my 5DII. I can fully understand why everyone is digging the Rx1 lens.

I managed to get an RX1 in the house and it seems like a great camera so far. The lens appears to render like the other Zeiss lenses I've used in the past. Too soon to add much beyond that. One thing I will point out is the lens cap. I love it! It is easy to use and has a nice heft to it. Subtle detail, but it caught my attention.

I just found out from a helpful guy over on DPR (yeah, they exist) that the RX1, unlike the RX100 or any other Sony I've used, DOES have an electronic distance scale that shows up on screen when you turn the focus ring in manual focus mode. Which means I could be in real trouble with this camera. If only I could get them to make one with a 28mm lens, my life might be complete. And my bank account might then be horribly horribly incomplete...

UH-OH.

-Ray

I just found out from a helpful guy over on DPR (yeah, they exist) that the RX1, unlike the RX100 or any other Sony I've used, DOES have an electronic distance scale that shows up on screen when you turn the focus ring in manual focus mode. Which means I could be in real trouble with this camera. If only I could get them to make one with a 28mm lens, my life might be complete. And my bank account might then be horribly horribly incomplete...

UH-OH.

-Ray

Given how fast Sony life cycles are on the Nex line, I would assume that a rx2 will release in about another year.. Your bank account could be happier by waiting for the discount sales later :D or not because of rx2 features. :D :p

Gary

UH-OH.

-Ray

Skip the X100s and the X20 and the USD 2000 saved almost pay for the RX1:laugh1: And you might consider selling the Fuji system, as the RX1 IQ and lens rendering is in a different league. The OMD could add the versatility to the travel bag.

Oh oh ... let's see some photos Andrew!!!

_DSC0049_RD_BW_800px.jpg

Skip the X100s and the X20 and the USD 2000 saved almost pay for the RX1:laugh1: And you might consider selling the Fuji system, as the RX1 IQ and lens rendering is in a different league. The OMD could add the versatility to the travel bag.
Well, I wasn't going to buy the X20 anyway and there's no way I sell the whole Fuji system anymore than buying the X100 caused me to sell my m43 gear. On the remote chance I ever DO buy the RX1, you can be sure I won't also buy the X100s! So then I'm only about halfway there (assuming no EVF for the RX1). But I wasn't likely to buy an X100s anyway since I bought the 14mm for the X-Pro and pretty much committed to that system. So there's absolutely no financial rationalization for the RX1! If the IQ and use-ability grab me THAT much that I actually end up buying it, it would only be because I managed to come up with that much money and felt like making a pure and unadulterated luxury purchase.

But I think a head to head, back to back experiment with the RX1 and the X100s would be an interesting experiment. The undeniable IQ and rendering of the RX1 vs what I'd perceive going in as the greater usability of the second generation X100s. Two great fixed lens cameras at the same focal length. Usability, my typically highest priority, against the ultimate small-camera IQ, which I'm usually satisfied with even out of my LX7? Would the usability of the RX100 surprise me? Would the IQ be soooo good that I'd find it compelling enough to consider despite other shortcomings? The last (and only) time THAT happened to me was ironically when I bought the original X100 despite a host of shortcomings at that time. But the X100 had that amazing hybrid viewfinder too, which I dug as much as the IQ, so even then I'm not sure the IQ was enough to trigger a wholly irrational purchase on its own.

Have you SEEN my processing? It would take a crazy person to buy an RX1 and then do what I tend to do to those pristine images. But there's no precedent for me to leave the damn things alone or even take the subtle approach in PP. So, it would appear I'd be stark raving mad to go in the direction of the RX1. Hence, I think it unlikely. But I make no guarantees - my sanity has betrayed me before (so far, never in any important ways!). It could happen again.... :D

-Ray

Although I'm reasonably certain the RX1 wouldn't work for the way I mostly shoot and would end up just pissing me off through no fault of its own, I'd LOVE to check it out. Because the lens and the files really do look quite amazing. POP isn't even the word for it. What I'd REALLY love to do would be to walk around for a few days with both the RX1 and the new X100s and do a bunch of the same shots back to back with both cameras and compare both the shooting experience and the results. And maybe bring the EPL5 along with the new 17mm f1.8 just to make it even more interesting... I don't know if I'll be able to swing it, but I might try once the X100s shows up.

-Ray

I would love to see those results, Ray.

Back